• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
15 mins of highlights from Joeys defeating View yesterday at Lane Cove. Make sure you put it in HD.
Awesome game.

J9 chucking a tanty when he couldn't play on quickly in the last play!!! only for J to kick the penalty. What if the ref had let that go??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
was meant to be playing under 20s for dogs all season but said to them, he had to play school first

he should go, the selections in some of these teams are a disgrace IMO

So he should leave school halfway through Year 12 in order to play league, just because he was picked in GPS 2s instead of GPS 1s?

Interesting priorities.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The fact he was;t picked is a joke, if not at fullback he would have to be picked on the wing. turned down NSW u18 league team and U20 doggies for the newington and Gps. he is by far the better player and is trying to carry the newington backline with Tyrone and Kunzele while also being marked heavily

You do realise that all selections in all sports are a matter of opinion?

If you have heard Eric Rush the former all black speak, he tells a great story about when he was growing up he always trialled but never got picked. His father would always say " don't worry because its just one blokes opinion, maybe the next guy will think differently". When he excitedly phoned his father to tell him he had been selected for the all blacks, his father congratulated him, but reminded him "it's just one blokes opinion, don't get a big head, because the next bloke may not like you."

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
The fact he was;t picked is a joke, if not at fullback he would have to be picked on the wing. turned down NSW u18 league team and U20 doggies for the newington and Gps. he is by far the better player and is trying to carry the newington backline with Tyrone and Kunzele while also being marked heavily

That's a 'star studded' backline then that's leaked an awful lot of tries so far this year. Newington have conceded more points than Shore. Where are the weak points? Who is poor in defence? Are they playing too much like individuals rather than as a team? Something is going wrong....you've seen every game deezebola..what is it?

You spend a lot of time talking Newington up on this forum. How about explaining what is going wrong?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

Is he playing GPS 2nd's or has he spat it??

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
That's a 'star studded' backline then that's leaked an awful lot of tries so far this year. Newington have conceded more points than Shore. Where are the weak points? Who is poor in defence? Are they playing too much like individuals rather than as a team? Something is going wrong..you've seen every game deezebola..what is it?

You spend a lot of time talking Newington up on this forum. How about explaining what is going wrong?

Only seen N play once and that was on Sat against K. I didn't see a great N back line. Too much one out and they don't run good lines. Gps rugby is a very short comp and great team work has to come very quickly. The backs coach at N is good and they will probably get better the longer the comp goes.

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
Thar she blows. Congrats to all selected. Well done
View attachment 8064

The gps 1 and 2s appear to be a fair reflection of performances to date. The representation by schools between forwards / backs also appears to be a good reflection of each school's strengths - also where opposition need to target and avoid.

# of reps by school in 1's and 2's (fwds/backs). View 7 (5/2); scots 6 (6/0); Kings 6 (2/4); New 5 (2/3); Joeys 3 (0/3); shore 2 (1/1).

New are well represented given their current position. Perhaps Joeys could have 1 more rep given how close the comp is but i think rightfully shows they are weaker in the forwards compared to View and Scots. Scots do win their games in the forwards but should maybe have at least 1 rep in the backs.

I didn't see the shore v scots game but the shore forwards must have really dug in against the highly rated scots forwards on Saturday.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
The gps 1 and 2s appear to be a fair reflection of performances to date. The representation by schools between forwards / backs also appears to be a good reflection of each school's strengths - also where opposition need to target and avoid.

# of reps by school in 1's and 2's (fwds/backs). View 7 (5/2); scots 6 (6/0); Kings 6 (2/4); New 5 (2/3); Joeys 3 (0/3); shore 2 (1/1).

New are well represented given their current position. Perhaps Joeys could have 1 more rep given how close the comp is but i think rightfully shows they are weaker in the forwards compared to View and Scots. Scots do win their games in the forwards but should maybe have at least 1 rep in the backs.

I didn't see the shore v scots game but the shore forwards must have really dug in against the highly rated scots forwards on Saturday.

@HFTF interesting analysis. If Scots are deemed to have the best forward pack in GPS they well and truly got touched up by the team deemed to be the worst.

Shore clearly dominated in the forwards on Saturday.

Scots even elected for a Lineout rather than a scrum at one point.
And Shore got at least 3 steals off the lineout.

My opinion is that Kings and Riverview both have better forward packs than Scots.

I think Yassmin would be disappointed, he was clearly Scots best on Saturday and he probably should have been a back selected higher for Scots. There are some very good players in both Blue & White and I wont be surprised if a couple of players dont get selected from here for higher honors.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
@HFTF interesting analysis. If Scots are deemed to have the best forward pack in GPS they well and truly got touched up by the team deemed to be the worst.

Shore clearly dominated in the forwards on Saturday.

Scots even elected for a Lineout rather than a scrum at one point.
And Shore got at least 3 steals off the lineout.

My opinion is that Kings and Riverview both have better forward packs than Scots.

I think Yassmin would be disappointed, he was clearly Scots best on Saturday and he probably should have been a back selected higher for Scots. There are some very good players in both Blue & White and I wont be surprised if a couple of players dont get selected from here for higher honors.

I'm not sure what game you were watching on saturday 'Not in straight' but on several occasions the Shore pack disintegrated.
They were clearly outscrummaged by Scots.
The prop packing down against Darcy Breen was in real strife several times.
Granted the lineouts were messy for both teams.
Shore stayed in the game because of their speedy backs that made great inroads.
Were you even there? Did you not notice those scrums???
If you were maybe try watching the game with both eyes open...seriously.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not sure what game you were watching on saturday 'Not in straight' but on several occasions the Shore pack disintegrated.
If you were maybe try watching the game with both eyes open.seriously.

Scots pushed the Shore scrum backwards of a number of occasions (I didn't count though) and won one full arm penalty from a dominant scrum. The situation for Shore would have been worse if U19 laws were not applying. Scots scored a try from a rolling maul off a 5m line out in a very professional manner.
In other aspects of forward play, I'd give the points to Shore. In particular, their defence was a little more solid. Their attack around the fringes of the breakdown seemed to gain more meters than Scots. The first half was a forward battle and the half time score was tied at 5 - 5 so one can assume the forward honours were even.
With the second half being such an open affair, Scots forwards' ability to run into space and support half breaks by the inside backs gave them an edge in the comparison stakes.
In summary, not a struck match between the two sets of piggies since they brought different strengths to the contest, and both deserve praise for their full blooded approach to winning. I enjoyed watching.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
If you were maybe try watching the game with both eyes open.seriously.

There were no tight heads in the match. If Scots had any advantage at Scrum time it was small. (I didnt see the Long arm FF (Folau Fainga'a) refereed to)

Shore forwards had the better of the lineouts and clearly better in open play.

Which eye did you have open when Robin Allen crashed over out wide just be half time? The Linesman said he saw the ball grounded but the ref thought otherwise.

Which eye did you have open when Rixon was tackled without the ball?

A Scots player should have been carded. Shore should have been playing against 14 for the last minutes of that game.

As for speedy backs being the only way Shore stayed in the game. That can only happen if the forwards are doing their job. And I do think Scots game plan wasn't all that different, I think they were trying to get the ball to Yassmin to do his stuff.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
There were no tight heads in the match. If Scots had any advantage at Scrum time it was small. (I didnt see the Long arm FF (Folau Fainga'a) refereed to)

Shore forwards had the better of the lineouts and clearly better in open play.

Which eye did you have open when Robin Allen crashed over out wide just be half time? The Linesman said he saw the ball grounded but the ref thought otherwise.

Which eye did you have open when Rixon was tackled without the ball?

A Scots player should have been carded. Shore should have been playing against 14 for the last minutes of that game.

As for speedy backs being the only way Shore stayed in the game. That can only happen if the forwards are doing their job. And I do think Scots game plan wasn't all that different, I think they were trying to get the ball to Yassmin to do his stuff.

My comment about Speedy Shore backs was a compliment. One very slick individual who ran beautiful lines that the Scots backs found hard to read.
I couldn't see what happened when Robin Allen crashed over, that was the far side where yourself and the rest of the Shore supporters would have been. Hard to comment.
Agree that Shore had the better of the lineouts.
Scots throwing not the best and Shore took advantage.
All up it was a great spectacle.
A little scrappy at times due to it's intensity but a nail biter for all concerned.
My heart goes go out to the Shore boys another tremendous performance which fell agonisingly short.
All my very best wishes go with Shore from this point...I will be cheering hard for you against both Kings and Riverview.:)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
there are two truisms which I see coming into play in season 2016.

1. Forwards win games and backs determine by how much and
  2. GPS's championships are won through defense...

deezebola

Frank Nicholson (4)
That's a 'star studded' backline then that's leaked an awful lot of tries so far this year. Newington have conceded more points than Shore. Where are the weak points? Who is poor in defence? Are they playing too much like individuals rather than as a team? Something is going wrong..you've seen every game deezebola..what is it?

a star studded backline is a big call which i would disagree with, especially when they have put their best number 8 to outside centre to cover poistions

B

Backline_Move

Any predictions for the nsw1 & nsw2??
Opens
1. Prince (St Augustine's)
2. Bristow (Westfield SHS)
3. Helu (Newington College)
4. Brown (Kings School)
5. Fenn (St Ignatius College)
6. Gleeson (NBSC)
7. Pietsch (Kings School)
8. Hingano (St Augustine's)
9. Jordan (Waverley College)
10. Pellegrini (St Champagnat Catholic)
11. Longville (Trinity Grammar)
12. Wilkinson (St Joseph's College)
13. Terry (St Ignatius College)
14. Jaffer-Williams (St Joseph's College)
15. Osborn (Kings School)

This one is floating around. Very GPS focused, but it is a good squad and those names will be there in some form.

Status
Not open for further replies.