• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Yup the trials of late night ruminations.. Take 2

GPS 2nd XV MK2​
1. Todd (S)​
2. Lombardi (K)​
3. Cutler ? (I)​
4. Crawford (S)​
5. Suttor (E)​
6. Rorke (I)​
7. Serhon (N)​
8. Lawson (N)​
9. Brown (K)​
10.Shannon (S)​
11. Pirina (I)​
12. Reilly (J)​
13. Orpen? (K)​
14. Smeallie (I)​
15. Simonson (N)​

I thought the talk at the start of the season was that Simonson was an automatic choice for the GPS 1st XV. Has his form been off ? or others just playing better ? All the players mentioned above appear to be on the money but I guess they all got another week to show their worth or fade away.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
Re: Teams above;
-Think Simmonson (N) is a lock for 15... Shouldn't be debate about that one
-Not sure how experienced Yirribi from Joeys is at 12.. Maybe could slot him into 11, leaving the 12 open for Wilkinson (J) or Sheldon (G) (Then 10 open for either: Kuenzle (N) or Lenehan (I))
- seeing as Riverview have had the dominant scrum in the competition thus far, I thinks they are definitely due for at least 2/3 of the front rowers to be in the top 2 GPS teams... Specifically Cutler, should be a shoe-in for the 1's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Its been 2 weeks since the last set of predictions. So with 1 round to go before selections are finalised, here are my predictions for GPS Firsts based on the form I have seen (be gentle)

1. Edwards (E)
2. Jeavons (S)
3. Helu (N)
4. Brown (K)
5. Suttor (E)
6. Green (S)
7. Pietsch (K)
8. Fenn (I)
9. Haskins (E)
10. Wilkinson (J)
11. Day (J)
12. Jaffer-Williams (J)
13. Terry (I)
14. Taukomo (N)
15. Osborne (K)

So the team that is yet to win a game Shore have 3 representatives and the unbeaten team Riverview have 2.
Haven't seen Riverview yet (will do saturday) but other commentators in this forum have suggested they have the best pack in the competition and some very handy backs.
2 Shore forwards including a front row and one from the engine room when they were pushed all over the park by Scots.
I can only assume that you have connections to the Shore school.
If not then you are likely to have only seen Shore once when they played the team you support. If so these boys must have played out of their skins in a losing side......sorry probably haven't been gentle but if you post selections with bias you should anticipate some push back.

Marched Ten

Stan Wickham (3)
So the team that is yet to win a game Shore have 3 representatives and the unbeaten team Riverview have 2.
Haven't seen Riverview yet (will do saturday) but other commentators in this forum have suggested they have the best pack in the competition and some very handy backs.
2 Shore forwards including a front row and one from the engine room when they were pushed all over the park by Scots.
If not then you are likely to have only seen Shore once when they played the team you support. If so these boys must have played out of their skins in a losing side..sorry probably haven't been gentle but if you post selections with bias you should anticipate some push back.

If you recall back to last year, the MVP award on the 2015 AAGPS rugby thread went to Fergus Bragg who was a player in a team that didn't win a game, Your points are valid to an extent but you cannot look Past Suttor's size and physicality as well as Haskins ball skills, both these players played in GPS 3rd White team last year being young and inexperienced players. Both from a team that didn't WIN.

I would just like to take a quick allusion from super rugby, The Sunwolves are getting demolished week in week out yet the one of the two leading try scorers (9 tries) is Akihito Yamada. Just because a team is not doing so well, doesn't mean there are not individual talents within a team. After all there is no I in team and Shore has fallen victim to it in the last few years.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
sorry probably haven't been gentle but if you post selections with bias you should anticipate some push back.

No offence taken, all constructive feedback appreciated. By all means critique but alternate selections would be appreciated.

Riverview have been outstanding and probably deserve more selections. Rorke would be one I would swap in but who do you drop; Green or Pietsch?

Edwards I thought played well supported by a lot of positive reports and likewise the other 2 front rowers Jeavons and Helu have performed strongly. Suttor consistently gets good reports, so by all means provide a suggestion on who to bring in.

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
1. Edwards (E)
2. Jeavons (S)
3. Helu (N)
4. Brown (K)
5. Suttor (E)
6. Green (S)
7. Pietsch (K)
8. Fenn (I)
9. Haskins (E)
10. Wilkinson (J)
11. Day (J)
12. Jaffer-Williams (J)
13. Terry (I) (Captain)
14. Taukomo (N)
15. Osborne (K)

1. I think Cutler deserves first opportunity. Winning side, played
strong last week. (in top of the table clash)
6/7. Possible case has been made for Rorke or Scott to be recognised
for their efforts for SIC. Green to make way for one of them.
9. There are not a lot of #9s making a clear case but Brown (TKS)
would have great kicking stats this year if the team needs a
points taker.
10. If asked, think Sheldon would prefer #10 and I've seen enough of
him to believe he can more than compete in this company. Jaffer
Williams and Terry from what I have seen have been best in the
centres.
15. While understanding opinions are based on what people have been
afforded the opportunity to watch, at #15 there has been Osborne
first and daylight second against all his opponents. Rd 1 fixture he
was clear points winner over his Newington opponent. Besides
Smeallie for SIC was best on field last week.

Boxhead

Bob McCowan (2)
The dominant teams in the competition will undoubtedly dominate the selections. They are dominant for a reason and while there are always good players in unsuccessful teams it would be ridiculous to have a team that hasn't won a game with high representation in the top two GPS teams.
From form and previous rep selection my picks are
1.Todd (S)
2.Jeavons (S)
3. Helu (N)
4. Brown (K)
5. Fenn (R)
6. Pietsch (K)
7. Rorke (R)
8. Lawson (N)
9. Brown (K)
10. Lenehan (R)
11. Jaffer Williams (J)
12. Wilkinson (J)
13. Terry (R)
14. Smeallie (R)
15. Simmonson (N)

Riverview 5
Kings 3
Scots 2
Newington 3
Joeys 2

Seconds
1. Cutler (R)
2. Vivers (J)
3. Holley (J)
4.Williams (K)
5. Suttor (Sh)
6. Serhon (N)
7. Scott (R)
8. Crawford (S)
9. Haskins (Sh)
10. Kuenzle (N)
11. Taukamo (N)
12. Sheldon (G)
13. Pirina (R)
14. Day (J)
15. Osborne (K)

Riverview 3
Kings 2
Scots 1
Newington 3
Joeys 3
Shore 2
Grammar 1

Informed

Frank Nicholson (4)
The agendas on this site are certainly interesting. I actually enjoy the site in main and @OAUI you are certainly entitled to your opinion. In this regard so are other professional rugbybcodes coaches including the shorter version of the game when it comes to the number 15. I know which opinion will count in the long run beyond the narrow focus of the NSW GPS competition.
Osbourne is a solid player, no doubt and benefitting from playing behind a strong, dominant pack. In my opinion he is not in the same class as Simmonsson.
I know for a fact two bouts of food poisoning within a week did not help the New 15 in round 1 nor will being ruled out with concussion for two weeks. For the record, in my opinion, in terms of skill, speed, footwork and defence it's not even a close.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
If not then you are likely to have only seen Shore once when they played the team you support. If so these boys must have played out of their skins in a losing side..sorry probably haven't been gentle but if you post selections with bias you should anticipate some push back.

@Wristbands, I must have been at a different game to you. No side has pushed Shore all over the park in the forwards. I seem to remember 1 tight head scrum in that game and that was Shores way.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
@Wristbands, I must have been at a different game to you. No side has pushed Shore all over the park in the forwards. I seem to remember 1 tight head scrum in that game and that was Shores way.

Same game but watching from a more balanced viewpoint and with both eyes open. The Shore pack struggled against Scots.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
The agendas on this site are certainly interesting..

Yes they are "interesting" but irrelevant at the end of the day. There are very few unbiased opinions on this thread (yes include myself in that cohort)

In 16 days we will know what the people who are qualified to make the decisions think. In the meantime the speculation, agenda pushing, self promotion, gnashing of teeth and foaming mouths will continue.

BTW there are still two rounds to be played before selections are announced so a lot can happen before the ink is dry on the team lists.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
No offence taken, all constructive feedback appreciated. By all means critique but alternate selections would be appreciated.

Riverview have been outstanding and probably deserve more selections. Rorke would be one I would swap in but who do you drop; Green or Pietsch?

Edwards I thought played well supported by a lot of positive reports and likewise the other 2 front rowers Jeavons and Helu have performed strongly. Suttor consistently gets good reports, so by all means provide a suggestion on who to bring in.

Don't feel in the position to do so until I see Riverview this weekend.
I don't disagree that the players in your team are good I simply question whether they are the best and deserve a place instead of boys in the top performing teams.
I am obviously a Scots parent and agree with the observations of others on the Scots players.
I think Jeavons has been outstanding.
Todd and Green excellent.
Crawford warrants consideration and Darcy Breen at prop has helped stabilise the Scots pack after last years jitters.
These are all players mentioned by others.
Another very interesting player for one of the lower GPS sides would be the winger Yassmin.
He is big and fast and takes a lot to bring down.
Scored 4 tries for Scots seconds against Kings to earn promotion to the 1sts.
Still in Year 11 too.
The boys that have most impressed me from other teams have been Osborne from Kings, Pietsch from Kings and Jaffer Williams from Joeys.

R

Runpasstackle

The agendas on this site are certainly interesting. I actually enjoy the site in main and @OAUI you are certainly entitled to your opinion. In this regard so are other professional rugbybcodes coaches including the shorter version of the game when it comes to the number 15. I know which opinion will count in the long run beyond the narrow focus of the NSW GPS competition.
Osbourne is a solid player, no doubt and benefitting from playing behind a strong, dominant pack. In my opinion he is not in the same class as Simmonsson.
I know for a fact two bouts of food poisoning within a week did not help the New 15 in round 1 nor will being ruled out with concussion for two weeks. For the record, in my opinion, in terms of skill, speed, footwork and defence it's not even a close.

Agree completely in regard to Simmonsson... Quality player

Marched Ten

Stan Wickham (3)
In a lot of GPS selections Rhys Millar (kings) has been neglected? I find him to be a quality grass roots player that runs hard lines, Also Prop Ben Furby From Shore school is one of the most mobile props in GPS, albeit lacking a little size

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

Rixon would be in the mix as well if it wasn't for a serious concussion second round. Selectors can only select on what they see.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
If you recall back to last year, the MVP award on the 2015 AAGPS rugby thread went to Fergus Bragg who was a player in a team that didn't win a game, Your points are valid to an extent but you cannot look Past Suttor's size and physicality as well as Haskins ball skills, both these players played in GPS 3rd White team last year being young and inexperienced players. Both from a team that didn't WIN.

I would just like to take a quick allusion from super rugby, The Sunwolves are getting demolished week in week out yet the one of the two leading try scorers (9 tries) is Akihito Yamada. Just because a team is not doing so well, doesn't mean there are not individual talents within a team. After all there is no I in team and Shore has fallen victim to it in the last few years.

MVP award. I was on judging panel. From memory it was/is for player who made greatest contribution to their team and player their team would have been most impacted in their absence. It was not for best player in comp or any team for that matter.

But you make a very good point further down. That being that a team ranked last can still have 3 or so players who are best in their position.

Another player who hasn't been mentioned anywhere is Winston Yunipingu (Scots 11). He was in 2014 Presidents 2nd XV. Admittedly he has played 2nds in first 2 rounds (1sts in round 3 and 4). But with two more rounds before teams are announced, he could be a bolter. This week against View will be a good test.

2014 Presidents teams are worth a look see too. Here they are...

http://portals.studentnet.edu.au/sports/uploads/DocArchive/DOCARC0004039.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.