• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby U/16 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A Crichton was announced in GPS 3 and H Fotukava in the GPS Opens Reserves.

They were both playing in Under 16 State Champs last weekend.

Does this mean they will be unavailable for NSW Schools U16's if they don't play in the U16 games at Knox next week?

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
A Crichton was announced in GPS 3 and H Fotukava in the GPS Opens Reserves.

They were both playing in Under 16 State Champs last weekend.

Does this mean they will be unavailable for NSW Schools U16's if they don't play in the U16 games at Knox next week?
A Crichton was told prior to the State champs he would not be up for selection at the state champs. A very talented young man and unlikely to see him and a couple of other talented youngens playing 16's

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A Crichton was told prior to the State champs he would not be up for selection at the state champs. A very talented young man and unlikely to see him and a couple of other talented youngens playing 16's

Which State Champs will they not be selected for? NSW Schools or Sydney Juniors?

Both Chricton and Fotukava have been selected in Sydney Juniors Zone teams to play on 30 June/1 July.

Does this mean they will not be available to take on QLD at the Nationals in U16 level? Be a shame, unless they are both in NSW Opens teams.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Which State Champs will they not be selected for? NSW Schools or Sydney Juniors?

Both Chricton and Fotukava have been selected in Sydney Juniors Zone teams to play on 30 June/1 July.

Does this mean they will not be available to take on QLD at the Nationals in U16 level? Be a shame, unless they are both in NSW Opens teams.

That's what we hear - as well as Johnnie Walker fro ISA- all playing in the opens School boys

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Heard today that if Crichton and Fotukava dont make a NSW opens team theyll walk into NSW 16s. Will have to play Schools though and not club as they wont be available for Sydney Juniors.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Heard today that if Crichton and Fotukava dont make a NSW opens team theyll walk into NSW 16s. Will have to play Schools though and not club as they wont be available for Sydney Juniors.

Seems a bit silly that they have been named in the Juniors Zone teams to contest for spots in the City Juniors team, if they will only be made available for the NSW Schools team for the ARU U16 champs.

Not their fault, but can't the administrators sort this out before hand.

By naming AC and HF in the SJRU Zone teams (or even playing in the State Champs themselves) two other kids are being denied an opportunity to showcase their talents before the Sydney Juniors Selectors.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
GPS 16s teams - 1s Ballentyne (K) Boakes (E) Cater (E) Clancy (E) Cohen (J) Connolly (E) Crichton (S) Dowling (S) Emery (E) Fifita (N) Fotukava (I) Freeman (I) Glasson (J) Hutchinson (I) Kane (K) Kilpatrick (I) Mencinsky (J) Menzies (I) Molloy (I) Olver (E) Prichard (I) Robinson (J) Rudolf (S) Woodhill (E)

2s - Behan (J) Brown (S) Burke (K) Canturi (J) Eruni-Bennett (N) Findlay (J) Gorry (G) Kambas (N) King (E) King (K) Kovac (I) Lee (K) Lehmann (K) Lucas (E) McCutcheon (J) McDonnell (J) O'Shea (J) Porter (S) Rodgers (J) Serhon (N) Tabuamata (S) Taylor (K) Wrench (E)

Only a few real surprises. Burke, Canturi, Lee, Lucas, McCutcheon and Tabuamata all unlucky to miss out on 1s. Should be a great game when the two teams face off.

Kings - 7 Shore - 9 Joeys - 11 Scots - 6 Newington - 4 View - 8 Grammar - 1

View have 7 in 1s while Joeys have 7 in 2s.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Seems a bit silly that they have been named in the Juniors Zone teams to contest for spots in the City Juniors team, if they will only be made available for the NSW Schools team for the ARU U16 champs.

By naming AC and HF in the SJRU Zone teams (or even playing in the State Champs themselves) two other kids are being denied an opportunity to showcase their talents before the Sydney Juniors Selectors.
I believe these kids let Sydney know before the Carnival they were NOT up for selection. Opens the door for some boys from a huge pool of talent in Sydney should these boys make the opens. And if not they deserve a spot in the 16's. Well earnt and displayed I think.

footychixbeers

Stan Wickham (3)
GPS 16s teams - 1s Ballentyne (K) Boakes (E) Cater (E) Clancy (E) Cohen (J) Connolly (E) Crichton (S) Dowling (S) Emery (E) Fifita (N) Fotukava (I) Freeman (I) Glasson (J) Hutchinson (I) Kane (K) Kilpatrick (I) Mencinsky (J) Menzies (I) Molloy (I) Olver (E) Prichard (I) Robinson (J) Rudolf (S) Woodhill (E)

2s - Behan (J) Brown (S) Burke (K) Canturi (J) Eruni-Bennett (N) Findlay (J) Gorry (G) Kambas (N) King (E) King (K) Kovac (I) Lee (K) Lehmann (K) Lucas (E) McCutcheon (J) McDonnell (J) O'Shea (J) Porter (S) Rodgers (J) Serhon (N) Tabuamata (S) Taylor (K) Wrench (E)

Only a few real surprises. Burke, Canturi, Lee, Lucas, McCutcheon and Tabuamata all unlucky to miss out on 1s. Should be a great game when the two teams face off.

Kings - 7 Shore - 9 Joeys - 11 Scots - 6 Newington - 4 View - 8 Grammar - 1

View have 7 in 1s while Joeys have 7 in 2s.

Seems a bit strange to have two halfbacks (Emery/Connolly + Kovacs/Rodgers) in each team?

S

Sydneybra

Two 15 year olds in the 1sts side, keen to see if they can perform

Bill McLean (32)

HJ,

this same situation occurred last year with quite a few lads. It will be worked out after NSWJRU and NSWSRU sit down after Regionals!

Inevitably spots open up in both teams as each association does not always get all the players they want, which means per-identified shadow players get slotted in.

This all however happens behind the scenes!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I believe these kids let Sydney know before the Carnival they were NOT up for selection. Opens the door for some boys from a huge pool of talent in Sydney should these boys make the opens. And if not they deserve a spot in the 16's. Well earnt and displayed I think.

I do not deny the skills of the boys mentioned.

I am simply staggered that selectors would nominate players to trial for a squad (Sydney Juniors) that the players have no intention of playing in.

By doing so the selectors have actually closed the door on two boys from the huge pool of talent in Sydney having a tilt at the big time.

The dilemna for the powers to be appears to be is if they don't make opens which U16's will they play for? Schools vs the rest at Nationals, Sydney Juniors for City vs Country, NSW Juniors for NSW U16 vs anyone else, or all of the above. Could end up playing a lot of extra footy when these boys are already playing regurlarly at a high level for school.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
HJ,

this same situation occurred last year with quite a few lads. It will be worked out after NSWJRU and NSWSRU sit down after Regionals!

Inevitably spots open up in both teams as each association does not always get all the players they want, which means per-identified shadow players get slotted in.

This all however happens behind the scenes!

...and happened the year before that, and the year before that....

I appreciate that for most of the kids who have not been "guaranteed a slot in the U16's", the best bet is to play for both associations to keep their options open. Can not fault the logic of this.

At the end of the day, our aim should be to have the best players representing NSW at nationsls regardless of what school, club or district they come from.

If these guys have been indeed been guaranteed positions in for NSW Schools, then the situation is slightly different from the scenario that the rest of the rugby mortals are presented with.

If they are shoe in on one of the pathways, then let another couple of kids have a tilt on the other pathway.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Pardon my ignorance but since when has GPS had an U/16 rep team?

Euphemistically referred to as "The Presidents XV" one suspects, LG.
It certainly doesn't appear on the AAGPS site as a recognized GPS team. Possibly something to do with the fact that the GPS doesn't officially recognize the 16's as a formal competition ??
To the best of my knowledge - only 1's, 2's & this year 3's are official GPS competitions. However, the need to get their cattle on display somehow, and the 16's is now well & truly entrenched in "the Pathway"...
(That was the reason supplied last year, anyway !)
Cheers
The Hound

Status
Not open for further replies.