• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Great win for Knox away at Riverview. A much needed confidence booster.
Congratulations to the Knox boys. They will feel pretty good tonight.

It’s going to be a very exciting and close CAS tournament this year.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So... Waverley 53 Kings 22
Knox 34 Riverview 29
St Stanislaus 17 St Aloysius 0
Barker 28 Eastwood U-18 7

Anyone have any word on Cranbrook and Trinity?

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Mmmm...things have changed haven’t they tween the comps. Wonder how things are over on the GPS thread. Might pop over and have a quick look.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not much comment over in the GPS thread boys. The sounds of silence...
It’ll be the usual...........these are just trials, real comp doesn’t start till later, Bowen was out injured etc etc. Having played about 500 games of rugby in my life, not once did I run out there not desperately wanting to win, be it a trial, pre season game or grand final.
Good day for the CAS boys..........well done.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
But let's not get carried away. Standards fluctuate between the two groupings from year to year. That's normal. What's difficult is that the standards seem to be fluctuating within groupings to an unacceptable degree. In the Associated schools, St Aloysius' loss today is not a great sign, just as Kings getting pounded by Waverley is a poor sign for GPS. It suggests that we're in for a couple of lopsided competitions. Again. But will anyone do anything about it? Don't hold your breath.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Now for the big comparison Rod. You have seen both Barker and Waves in action. What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of both. Not asking for any prediction tween those two. The 17th July should be good.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
But let's not get carried away. Standards fluctuate between the two groupings from year to year. That's normal. What's difficult is that the standards seem to be fluctuating within groupings to an unacceptable degree. In the Associated schools, St Aloysius' loss today is not a great sign, just as Kings getting pounded by Waverley is a poor sign for GPS. It suggests that we're in for a couple of lopsided competitions. Again. But will anyone do anything about it? Don't hold your breath.

Kings lost by two to a full strength Riverview. So they will still be competitive.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Now for the big comparison Rod. You have seen both Barker and Waves in action. What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of both. Not asking for any prediction tween those two. The 17th July should be good.

How are you Hasbeen? I will try my best on comparisons. I will say this after hearing the Knox score against View it is definitely anyones guess on who will win this years CAS comp. I have not seen Knox play but they went pretty close to a very solid Joeys side earlier which speaks volumes. Looking at Barker and Waves. I am impressed by both sides. Waves is the bigger side with 2 lads 6'6 and over 105kg, plus another who would be 6'3 and 100kg who can run all day. Their size and skill meant 1st phase ball was no issue and in the few scrum s that occured today they had Kings on rollerskates. But Kings had no offensive tacklers. Barker does as does Knox by the sounds of it. That will make a big difference. These big lads have the Arthur Beetson offload down to a fine art, carrying 3 tacklers they still keep the ball alive which makes the backs look a lot better. Barker had the Newington big boppers running at them all day and they were brick wall like in defense. Waverlys lineout works a treat and was never challenged. That could be Barkers achilles heal. The Reds have a better halves combination and if Segala returns then their back line has the edge. Katoa is the best Barker 10 I have seen in last 40 years and his combination with Philipson gives Barker the edge in the backs. Barker also has the best no 8 in the comp with Ned Slack Smith who will give the Waves halves plenty to think about when he has ball in hand. Also Dion Yazdani is a wrecking ball and Joel Kardash is brilliant over the ball which will slow things down for all teams. If this game was being played at Death Valley, my money would be on Waves but at Barker and earlier in the season I think the Reds will win by 2 points. Knox play Waves at Death Valley but have Barker at home at Warrawee in the last game. A three way tie is not beyond the realm of possibility. I will say this. The CAS side will be a cracker this year......

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks Rod. That is what I thought based on what I could see from your previous postings, thanks for your effort in posting great summaries. See you home ground for the big one against Waves. Where do these consistently big boys they have come from. That is not a scholarship comment btw it just seems each year they have big packs. I can’t recall a year when they haven’t had big kids. Barker can’t afford to have any line out issues if there are tall units in the W forward pack, that could be the difference maybe.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Thanks Rod. That is what I thought based on what I could see from your previous postings, thanks for your effort in posting great summaries. See you home ground for the big one against Waves. Where do these consistently big boys they have come from. That is not a scholarship comment btw it just seems each year they have big packs. I can’t recall a year when they haven’t had big kids. Barker can’t afford to have any line out issues if there are tall units in the W forward pack, that could be the difference maybe.

Well from what I gather from the team they are well aware of the big boys at Waves. So they have been playing them for a while