• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Ben Donaldson 2017 Waves!

Yes, despite Ben being stuffed around by selectors playing him at fullback with Tom Woodcock at 10. Both lads should have been swapped around as Ben is a tremendous 10 and I hope he holds the starting spot in the Tahs. I put Edmed in front of Harrison too.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Trinity 12-5 over Pats. I thought Trinity were going to pile the points on.

I see in the 2nd week of the trials; Aloys 11 Pats 6

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity 12-5 over Pats. I thought Trinity were going to pile the points on.

I see in the 2nd week of the trials; Aloys 11 Pats 6

This is no surprise. First, Pats always lift against Trinity. It’s a grudge match. Secondly, this is not a very strong Trinity side. They have some excellent backs but the set pieces are weak so there’s not a lot of clean first phase possession. They’re not a contender this year but if they somehow snaffle enough ball they could spring an upset. Trouble is, against Waverley or Barker, if you give them 60% of the possession those sides will hurt you on the scoreboard.

Still, credit to Trinity for winning five from five so far. Shore will be a pretty even game next week.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
This is no surprise. First, Pats always lift against Trinity. It’s a grudge match. Secondly, this is not a very strong Trinity side. They have some excellent backs but the set pieces are weak so there’s not a lot of clean first phase possession. They’re not a contender this year but if they somehow snaffle enough ball they could spring an upset. Trouble is, against Waverley or Barker, if you give them 60% of the possession those sides will hurt you on the scoreboard.

Still, credit to Trinity for winning five from five so far. Shore will be a pretty even game next week.

Well, we (Brook) have Pats next week, so there'll be some sort of comparison.

I haven't seen any games other than Trinity v Brook in R1. Fair comment about yesterdays grudge match, but Trinity must've had the pace on the paddock to score a few more tries against Pats (i would've thought).

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, we (Brook) have Pats next week, so there'll be some sort of comparison.

I haven't seen any games other than Trinity v Brook in R1. Fair comment about yesterdays grudge match, but Trinity must've had the pace on the paddock to score a few more tries against Pats (i would've thought).

They need the ball though. I've only seen them once, but their scrum and lineout were bullied off the park. You can have the best backs in the world, but without the ball they're not much use (this is the abiding lesson of the 1981-82 Wallaby tour to Great Britain).

Chilli Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Watched Cranbrook play in the wind tunnel at Campbelltown yesterday. Not a pretty game and lots of cheap shots by St Gregs. One in particular on the Cranbrook 5 will see the Greg's boy not play again this season. Appalling! As a result, the first half of the game was a mess, with no flow to the game. The Cranbrook 12 also went off in the first minutes of the game. The second half saw Cranbrook regain some structure and score a succession of great tries allowing several 2ndXV boys to play the last 10-15 mins.
Overall I give Cranbrook a B+ for the performance. Notables for Cranbrook were 7, 2, 15 & 9. For Greg's the 11 looked Dangerous. (Sorry - didn't have a program, so don't know names).
Apparently 5 starting XV will now be missing for next weeks game vs Pats.

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
Watched Cranbrook play in the wind tunnel at Campbelltown yesterday. Not a pretty game and lots of cheap shots by St Gregs. One in particular on the Cranbrook 5 will see the Greg's boy not play again this season. Appalling! As a result, the first half of the game was a mess, with no flow to the game. The Cranbrook 12 also went off in the first minutes of the game. The second half saw Cranbrook regain some structure and score a succession of great tries allowing several 2ndXV boys to play the last 10-15 mins.
Overall I give Cranbrook a B+ for the performance. Notables for Cranbrook were 7, 2, 15 & 9. For Greg's the 11 looked Dangerous. (Sorry - didn't have a program, so don't know names).
Apparently 5 starting XV will now be missing for next weeks game vs Pats.

I can confirm the act you speak of, having seen the video replay, was definitely a low dog act and should be severely punished. No room in the game for that sort of cheap shot.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Doesn’t sound good.

What was the low dog act/cheap shot? Was it a penalty/yellow/red?

Some schools can be targeted by Greg’s, not the least Cranbrook, especially when playing at Campbelltown.

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
Doesn’t sound good.

What was the low dog act/cheap shot? Was it a penalty/yellow/red?

Some schools can be targeted by Greg’s, not the least Cranbrook, especially when playing at Campbelltown.

Missed by the ref and touchies. Stomp to the head. Severe head gash - 13 stitches I believe.

Chilli Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Should just be reported to the Police. Zero tolerance for that crap. The kid should be in Juvie.

“in an organized game of rugby the players consent to acts of violence and acts of substantial violence, and the risks of injury, from the minor to the serious, flowing therefrom, provided that those acts occurred during the course of play in accordance with the rules and usages of the game.
Players are not to be taken as consenting to the malicious use of violence intended or recklessly to cause grievous bodily injury.
The policy of the law will not permit the mere occasion of a rugby match to render innocent or otherwise excuse conduct which can discretely be found, beyond reasonable doubt, to constitute a criminal offence.”
A number of important principles stem from the above passage:
1. When participating in physical or inherently violent sports, players are taken to impliedly consent to physical violence and the associated injuries that might flow from that violence;
2. As long as the violence is within the rules and parameters of the sport, no illegal act is perpetrated when another player is injured as a result of the opponent’s conduct; and
3. When the level or nature of violence goes beyond the rules and parameters of the game, it is potentially rendered illegal, and is not to be excused just because it was perpetrated in the context of a physical sport.
In other words, each time a footy player decides to break the rules by participating in a fist fight, or by intentionally or recklessly performing a ‘head high’ tackle, they are potentially committing a criminal offence.
Given that ‘a bit of biff’ is ingrained in our sporting culture, it is unlikely police will be running onto a field to arrest footy players. However, a player who, through an impermissible level of violence, injures, incapacitates, or worse still kills another player does risk criminal prosecution.
Whilst police will invariably turn a blind eye to minor assaults on the sporting field, there is no legal reason for them not to arrest and charge a player who seriously injures another through intentional or reckless violence which is outside the parameters of the game.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
I can confirm the act you speak of, having seen the video replay, was definitely a low dog act and should be severely punished. No room in the game for that sort of cheap shot.

Well, it’s on video so I hope it’s dealt with appropriately.

Cranbrook can approach the Pats match like any other trial and test out a few younger lads, if 5 end up being out. Not to brush off the actual injuries, which I hope are not serious.

Cuz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wow, not sure we were watching the same game. Sure you didn’t take a wrong turn somewhere, as there were other rugby games in town over the weekend that were just a spicey….

Cheap shots… I’m struggling to see what you are talking about. It’s a contact sport & when big kids run at each other, something is going to happen. Getting injured doesn’t mean foul play happened; it probably means that the person you came into contact with was either bigger than you, hits harder than you or has better technique than you. There are a few league players in this team, so I’m thinking you may have run into one of them. And to whoever suggested calling the police to a school rugby game because blood was spilt on the rugby field; in hindsight perhaps a slight over reaction don’t you think? “Put him in Juvie”, possibly another over reaction. But to be fair he has probably been there already as some of the Greg’s boys volunteer time & either kick a footy around after school with kids who are in juvie or help some of the other kids from around the traps with homework club after school. Physical games of football, yes, but cheap shots… please

I too watched the video of the incident where the kid was opened up. I saw it as the Greg’s jackal going for the ball with the Cranbrook players head on the ground right near his foot. He’s not looking back & gets up & takes a step & gets your boy… Not the end result that anyone wants & fairly sure he won’t be the last kid that has a head gash this season. Definitely not a deliberate action from a kid who doesn’t have that crap in his game, but the step makes it look worse than it was. No doubt you would have seen it in a different light. I note no one was complaining when your player dropped some knees into our #8. He retaliated & was binned for his actions so you win that one. We had another one in the bin for the obligatory professional foul on our goal line which was also deserved, so Greg’s clearly have some work on’s to think about this week. Did the video show anything other than St Greg’s misdemeanours? Maybe time to take the rose coloured glasses off & look at both sides.

Maybe you have some take away’s from the game a well. I note the guy following play (inside the rope) in the 2 Ronnies cap who was swearing at the referee & calling for penalties. To be honest, I thought a school like yours would have a bit more class than that.

After the game, I think the referee summed it up as intense, & it was until it blew out at the end. And talking of class, I thought the presentations at the end of the game by your school were all class. Well done on that & good luck in your season.…

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Wow, not sure we were watching the same game. Sure you didn’t take a wrong turn somewhere, as there were other rugby games in town over the weekend that were just a spicey….

I saw it as the Greg’s jackal going for the ball with the Cranbrook players head on the ground right near his foot.

I've just been afforded a sneaky glance at the footage (not easy to get my hands on) and I must say the ruck was well won for Cranbrook, with three boys over the tackled player and the ball already in the half-backs hands, and the Greg boy's foot moves in an unnatural manner. It would appear that it was an intentional act, although I am open to hear any other opinions on the matter.