• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
There is the other Jorgensen on the wing and Chan in the centres at Joeys. The outside is pretty handy as is the fly half at Joeys.

I’m not sure Rod, having seen both joeys and view, O’Donnell and Jorgensen are standouts but I wasn’t blown away by the others.. from a knox perspective 10, 12 and 15 are exceptional and I expect the barker 10 to be the best of the lot by all reports plus 13 and others.. waves no doubt have plenty (haven’t seen either barker or waves yet and we all know how last year was from a viewing perspective). any really good wingers around in the cas this year?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I see what you did there, WLF. Always nice to be the underdog. Thing is, Waverley is unbeaten (188 points for and 72 against in its last five games) and has played stronger opposition than anyone else but Barker and Knox, who have both sustained losses. I believe you that Waverley struggled in beating Oakhill by 15. But Knox lost to Oakhill.

I'm still saying it's too close to call, with Waverley and Barker jointly the front-runners, Knox a step behind (but capable of an upset) and Cranbrook, Trinity and St Aloysius fighting for fourth.

Ok Snort, here's what really happened!

Waves scored 3 tries in the first 20 mins and led 17 - 0.
After that it felt and appeared as though they took their foot off, and rather than driving the nails in, like they did v Kings (who copped a hiding), the Waves started playing a low percentage flashy rubbish game, which failed at every turn.

They gifted Oak a try 10m off the Waves line with a 100m pass, that hit the next suburb, upon which Oak simply picked it up and strolled over, now 17-12. As you know, once you give an opposition a sniff, things can change and they did.

However, rather than slow down an go back to their machine driven power they continued to play Harlem Globetrotter style dribble, as mentioned by ZHC! As a spectator, not to mention the coaches, it was excruciating to watch. They dropped the ball EVERY time they had it in the 2nd half and weren't used to being pushed, so full credit to Oakhill.

It was an uncharacteristic display but better now than later. Now it's game on as the CAS comp starts next week and all 3 games will be very interesting.
Barker (H) v Cranbrook, Trinity (H) v Aloys, and Waves (H) v Knox.

Let's hope the weather is fine, and after last year, fair to say the crowds will be mighty.

Now all will be revealed!

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
I believe CAS team named next week. Are there any early predictions going off early form and will there be returning players from 2020 merit team , interested to hear people’s thoughts.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Having watched Oakhill play Trinity, Knox and Barker from the CAS teams Kidd from Trinity is easily the standout winger. Put him on the wing in the CAS rep team and his real ability will stand out as Katoa will be putting him in space for fun. The Jorgenson who is not Max was the best winger I saw in the GPS games played against Shore, Riverview & Joeys. Good luck to all for their respective comps & hope not to see you all next year. This years team is the strongest we have had in a while & next year will not be as competitive in these pre season games. Certainly didn't miss us with the games we were allocated this year but hopefully will stand the boys in good stead for the ISA games ahead.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Having watched Oakhill play Trinity, Knox and Barker from the CAS teams Kidd from Trinity is easily the standout winger. Put him on the wing in the CAS rep team and his real ability will stand out as Katoa will be putting him in space for fun. The Jorgenson who is not Max was the best winger I saw in the GPS games played against Shore, Riverview & Joeys. Good luck to all for their respective comps & hope not to see you all next year. This years team is the strongest we have had in a while & next year will not be as competitive in these pre season games. Certainly didn't miss us with the games we were allocated this year but hopefully will stand the boys in good stead for the ISA games ahead.

HS, Oakhill were terrific this year, very strong and competitive, and I am sure will put the team in a great place to win the ISA.
From what I have seen, and others, yours was easily the best team we played this year, that includes Eddies and Auggies, and from what I have heard about the other ISA schools, you are looking good.

From Sats game it appeared to me, by the ferocity of the game and the tackles, that you may well have had the boys back who didn't play against Barker etc, could be wrong.

I have also always believed that playing across associations as a lead into each associations comp is a terrific exercise for all involved, for the boys and the spectators.

Good luck in your comp!

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
HS, Oakhill were terrific this year, very strong and competitive, and I am sure will put the team in a great place to win the ISA.
From what I have seen, and others, yours was easily the best team we played this year, that includes Eddies and Auggies, and from what I have heard about the other ISA schools, you are looking good.

From Sats game it appeared to me, by the ferocity of the game and the tackles, that you may well have had the boys back who didn't play against Barker etc, could be wrong.

I have also always believed that playing across associations as a lead into each associations comp is a terrific exercise for all involved, for the boys and the spectators.

Good luck in your comp!

Cheers WLF.
Missing a couple in the first game against Barker but I don't believe it would have made much of a difference. 3 tries in the first 15 minutes and the boys ended up losing 5 tries to 1 (barker 10 converted all of them). Barker with their settled and long pre season training showed in how clinical they were. As I mentioned the other week in reference to Knox the boys did the same on Saturday and dragged waves into a game of footy. I think a couple of big hits has been the cause of this in both games. It lifts one team and disrupts the opposition by the brain switching to revenge rather than the clinical stuff that was working. Great footy to watch though and certainly binds both teams to work as a pack. ( In a bit of self indulgence my young fella put the biggest hit on 1 of your second rowers I've seen him do. proud of the young fella as he's just turned 16 and playing prop against your pack is no easy task.)
One question for you though WLF is were you concerned about the rolling maul try Oaks scored on Saturday? Not one of our greatest strengths but waves are pretty tall and spent the time trying to reach over rather than pushing back.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Cheers WLF.
Missing a couple in the first game against Barker but I don't believe it would have made much of a difference. 3 tries in the first 15 minutes and the boys ended up losing 5 tries to 1 (barker 10 converted all of them). Barker with their settled and long pre season training showed in how clinical they were. As I mentioned the other week in reference to Knox the boys did the same on Saturday and dragged waves into a game of footy. I think a couple of big hits has been the cause of this in both games. It lifts one team and disrupts the opposition by the brain switching to revenge rather than the clinical stuff that was working. Great footy to watch though and certainly binds both teams to work as a pack. ( In a bit of self indulgence my young fella put the biggest hit on 1 of your second rowers I've seen him do. proud of the young fella as he's just turned 16 and playing prop against your pack is no easy task.)
One question for you though WLF is were you concerned about the rolling maul try Oaks scored on Saturday? Not one of our greatest strengths but waves are pretty tall and spent the time trying to reach over rather than pushing back.

firstly HS, That tackle was 1 of the best school boy tackles I have seen, so a big congrats to your bloke!
The boy he tackled is the real deal and it definitely sent a message.

The rolling maul was a strange one, very effective, and has not happened to our side before, I am sure it caught us out, so keep it up. I suspect that will be dealt with at training this week.
We didn't have our best 2 centres on, which led to a lack of backline punch and experience, thus all the dropped ball and panic, BUT it was your scramble and tenacity that changed the game imo, so no excuses.

Oakhill don't appear to play a structured game like most other schools, eg the wingers kicked in field often, which had support coming through, rather than take the tackle and reset etc. The brand had all the hallmarks of a union team with league overtones, eg in defense and attack. Nothing wrong with that as it can be effective, however I think you will find that when you play strong teams that have union structure, particularly in the forwards like set scrum pieces, line outs etc, you will score points but maybe not enough to win the game against such teams. Food for thought.

Having said all that, I still believe Oak can/will win the ISA this year.

Cheers and good luck!

Stephgun12

Bob McCowan (2)
Theres a lot of hype surrounding Barker, i understand they have a strong first side. This "new" (the new inclusions to the program) team has performed in the 1st XV games but their 2nds played Riverview 4ths. They won by 20 or so, as a seconds team i think this is quite embarrassing from their side. Shows the lack of depth within the barker program. And i can't see them seeing any glory in the seconds competition. Quite worrying for barker especially if they happen to suffer injuries in key positions

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ok, prediction time.

I'm assuming, by the way, no new injuries over the weekend.

The big match-up in Round One is Waverley and Knox at Queens Park. Like every game in the round, it could go either way, but you'd have to favour the home side. Its pack is big, strong and mobile, and you'd expect the backs to play with more discipline than they (evidently) showed at Oakhill last weekend. There's no obvious weakness in the side. Knox has played well but the loss to Oakhill suggests that they can be bustled out of a game when their well-drilled structures are disrupted. Their dangerman is Tucker, at fullback, and if the forwards hold their own, he can do some damage. Even so: Waverley, in a tight one.

Barker should launch its Plume Shield challenge with a win over Cranbrook. Power in the forwards (with Slack-Smith leading from the front) and a backline orchestrated by Katoa gives Barker too much scoring potential. It's hard to see a way for Cranbrook to win: but if they defend strongly, and frustrate and spoil in the forwards, they do have the pace out wide to score on the counterattack. Cranbrook's hooker, Obaseki, won't have a better chance to stake his claim for CAS selection.

Most games are decided in the forwards. But at Summer Hill, the game might very well be won by the superior backline. Trinity is a bit weak in the tight five; but that's the visitors' weak spot, too, so it may not be a decisive difference this week. If Trinity wins enough front-foot possession, then Hannaford, Kidd, Hennessy and White could be the difference in the backs. But I expect it to be tight: there could be just the bounce of a ball in it. Expect a hard-fought game: each side thinks of this game as one it should win.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Theres a lot of hype surrounding Barker, i understand they have a strong first side. This "new" (the new inclusions to the program) team has performed in the 1st XV games but their 2nds played Riverview 4ths. They won by 20 or so, as a seconds team i think this is quite embarrassing from their side. Shows the lack of depth within the barker program. And i can't see them seeing any glory in the seconds competition. Quite worrying for barker especially if they happen to suffer injuries in key positions

Barker is not without its weaknesses, as has been reported by others, particularly with the line out which may or may not be the difference against Waverly. This is and has always been an unpredictable competition.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Knox will have to fix their lineout if they are to be any show against waves. If it was functional on Saturday against Newington the score would have ballooned.

T

timmymont23

Bit surprising Knox only beat newington by 8 who are a poor quality side this year. Knox definitely need to get shaper if they want to contest for CAS prems. Interesting to see how they pair up with Waves. I reckon waves take this game by 7+

Other predictions

Barker v Cranbrook: Barker 25+
Aloys v Trinity: Trinity 20+

T

timmymont23

Very interested to see how Oakhill go against Augies. Both respective sides i believe oak hill have this played very well against some strong rugby powerhouses (and beating a few) Barker, Knox, Riverview, Joeys, Waverly and some lesser "powerhouses" trinity and Shore.....

(Oakhill very courageous having such a tough schedule and playing really hard, their record does not reflect their ability)

Augies have limited resources only having Jed Walsh (fly-half) a very talented player standing out whilst playing alongside his brother joey (fly-half? i believe) (yr 9/10?) both very skilful and agile amazing to watch, strong ruby family with the brother playing over at the exeter chiefs (fly-half).

Timmy Signing off.
Have a wonderful night all and get ready for the start of the season on Saturday should be a beaut can't wait!!!
Hope all teams come out full guns blazing and ready to play, happy to see some upsets in the first round ;) which will really throw a spanner in the works.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
They were up 24-5 and doing it very comfortably.... arguably left 3 or 4 tries out there with some issues with the last pass. Waves at Death Valley are always hard and they sound very good this year. I would be surprised if they can get the job done there but that’s the beauty of schoolboy rugby, you just never know

T

timmymont23

They were up 24-5 and doing it very comfortably.. arguably left 3 or 4 tries out there with some issues with the last pass. Waves at Death Valley are always hard and they sound very good this year. I would be surprised if they can get the job done there but that’s the beauty of schoolboy rugby, you just never know

Didn't get to see their game. I know the power they possess and the potential they can reach is quite high and I would like to see them play to their full potential as they always "happen" to leave more out on field which beckons the question: Are they being hyped to highly?

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
I don’t think they have been hyped, most people have them as third. In all my years of watching knox I think they have always struggled to put teams to the sword. Obviously teams change significantly each year so that’s a fairly pointless observation but in the same way joeys can put 2 tries on you with 5 mins to go, I reckon knox never run away with it like you would expect.

T

timmymont23

I don’t think they have been hyped, most people have them as third. In all my years of watching knox I think they have always struggled to put teams to the sword. Obviously teams change significantly each year so that’s a fairly pointless observation but in the same way joeys can put 2 tries on you with 5 mins to go, I reckon knox never run away with it like you would expect.

Fair point. I would have to agree bbr

massivehog100

Frank Row (1)
I'd heard alot about Hannaford from Trinity, and watching the game on the weekend I can see why. The way he marshalled his troops and his playmaking ability exceeded expectations tenfold. Top 3 10s in the comp hands down and exciting to see where he takes his talents in the future, one to watch out for as i believe he'll only get better with age.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
FT from around the grounds;

Waves 27 Oak 12
View 24 Barker 18
Knox 30 Newington 22
Brook 33 St Pats 10
Trinity 20 Shore 13
Aloys 38 Greg’s 33

In the interest of accuracy, I correct my own work;
Aloys 40 Greg’s 33

As for CAS - R1
Clearly, the match of main interest is Waves vs Knox - I'm going with Waves, just.
Barker vs Brook - Heart says Brook (of course), head says Barker (reluctantly). I have Barker too strong for everyone this season.
Trinity vs Aloys - Trinity to potentially run away with this one as I think Kidd could score plenty.