• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
Theres a lot of hype surrounding Barker, i understand they have a strong first side. This "new" (the new inclusions to the program) team has performed in the 1st XV games but their 2nds played Riverview 4ths. They won by 20 or so, as a seconds team i think this is quite embarrassing from their side. Shows the lack of depth within the barker program. And i can't see them seeing any glory in the seconds competition. Quite worrying for barker especially if they happen to suffer injuries in key positions

Sounds like you were there at Riverview watching the Barker 2nds go around? Maybe not...
If you had been you would have seen that this was essentially an opposed training run, 20 mins each way. The referee was clear that he was making sure it remained a contest. Rather than being an embarrassment, if this had been a full 35 each way Barker 2nds would have put 50 points on easily. Since you've got all the inside information on the CAS 2nds you would know the Barker 2nds have only lost one game in the "trials" to the Joeys 2nds who will no doubt win the AAGPS in a canter and would beat many of the CAS and GPS 1sts

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
I call bullshit, it would be everywhere if true, not hard to make a fake webpage

I say you're 100% correct. Nothing on the Fox site reporting that story. Hopefully old mate sitting at his computer with his dacks around his ankles getting off at how funny he is. Numbnuts.

Des Hasler

Frank Row (1)
With the green and white army facing a weak Aloys side I'll be expecting a runover with Theo Kidd taking a hat-trick. IMO Hannaford will lead the charge with a dominant performance putting the likes of White + Kidd away. Luckily I can't see the Aloys scrum doing any damage (are they doing contested scrums this year?) so front foot ball shouldn't be an issue.

Moving onto the big game of the week Knox vs Waves at the notorious "Death Valley".
Was lucky enough to hear about the Waverley vs Kings game from the Charing Cross hotel after an abundance of Waverley parents returned. Sounds like they touched them up with big performances from the likes of King, Thorn, Halaholo and Fritz. But onto Knox, their win over View sends a shock amongst CAS as real contenders. Interested to see the contest of Reeve Smith vs Jack Black, two beasts who live and breathe scrummaging. Also the battle at the back of the ruck between Goddard vs Thorn who are both strong contenders for the CAS 1s spot. This game should go down to the wire and I predict Waverley will run away with the 2 points in the end with the support of the Home crowd the true victor.

Onto Barker vs Cranners. Well well well, the force Barker is struck down by View. This game will be a true test for Cranbrook as they have not yet impressed even against weaker opponents. The dynamic duo of Slack-Smith and Katoa seem very strong and will be hard to handle but I've heard a whisper that Flanagan has been something to watch and could spark the upset. All in all, I think Barker will be triumphant in a relatively close hit out.

Good luck and best wishes,

Dessy

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
The Barker seconds were smashed by Joeys. Joeys 2’s narrowly lost to Scots 2’s last weekend. Barker didn’t play any of the 13, 14 or 15A’s at Joeys and lost the 16a’s to Joeys. I think the point regarding depth stands all on its own.

Sounds like you were there at Riverview watching the Barker 2nds go around? Maybe not.
If you had been you would have seen that this was essentially an opposed training run, 20 mins each way. The referee was clear that he was making sure it remained a contest. Rather than being an embarrassment, if this had been a full 35 each way Barker 2nds would have put 50 points on easily. Since you've got all the inside information on the CAS 2nds you would know the Barker 2nds have only lost one game in the "trials" to the Joeys 2nds who will no doubt win the AAGPS in a canter and would beat many of the CAS and GPS 1sts

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Barker seconds were smashed by Joeys. Joeys 2’s narrowly lost to Scots 2’s last weekend. Barker didn’t play any of the 13, 14 or 15A’s at Joeys and lost the 16a’s to Joeys. I think the point regarding depth stands all on its own.

Probably not a hugely constructive debate: however, plenty of schools with respectable depth have come away from Joeys with ugly results in the past.

Mr Serious

Peter Burge (5)
Round 1 CAS 2021 in coming. I'm back baby !! Ha ha ha. My predictions for the weekend are as follows;
- Trinity def Aloys 15+ (Kidd to bag a double)
- Barker def Brook by 3 points (due to Katoa slotting a field goal as the siren sounds)
- Knox def Waves in a nail bitter (as they will show more ticker)

Good luck to all teams.

Mr S, out !

CAS Rugby 1010

Bob McCowan (2)
My Predictions for this round

Trinity v Aloys- Trinity 1-10, I'd say trinity are hot favorites to win this game, but for the sake of me wanting a competitive CAS competition, I'm predicting aloys will put up a good fight but lose the game towards the end.

Barker v Cranbrook- Barker 14+, can't see anyone competing with Barker this year if i'm honest

Knox v Waverly- Waverly 1-10 will be a tight game, but I think the waves boys will persevere and take the win.

Michael_Pooper

Stan Wickham (3)
Gentlemen of the Forums, on my lunch break so I thought it may be appropriate to give my early CAS 1sts predictions (assuming no injuries throughout the season of course).

1. Jack Black (K)
2. Romeo Bray (K) or Obaseki (C)
3. Dion Yazdani (B)
4. Clem Halohalo (W)
5. Fritz Tavana (W)
6. Ethan King (W)
7. Joel Kardash (B) or Sartena (C)
8. Ned Slack Smith (B)
9. Tom Goddard (K) or Klayton Thorn (W)
10. Katoa (B) or Hunter Hanadford (T) or Tom Morrison (K)
11. Theo Kidd (T)
12. Jarrah McLeod (K) or Bruton (A)
13. Eli Sagala (B) or Dimmovitch (W)
14. Luke Tucker (K)
15. Ethan Flanagan (C)

The 10 spot is an interesting one. Right now Katoa is the clear favourite, but Hanadford and Morrison could definitely make a run at the jersey by the end of the season. I assume we will get a fairly good idea of how far ahead Katoa is by the end of Round 1. The 3 spot is also contestable as the Cranbrook prop Parker could make some noise this season, although the prescence of 'DionYaz'sUncle' on this forum perviously has led me to select him haha.

Coach: WLF - Ha ha just some banter although some of the insight he gives on these forums does make me liken him to that of Ewen McKenzie.

See you all at Death Valley this weekend,
Poops ;)

Chilli Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Gentlemen of the Forums, on my lunch break so I thought it may be appropriate to give my early CAS 1sts predictions (assuming no injuries throughout the season of course).

1. Jack Black (K)
3. Dion Yazdani (B)
4. Clem Halohalo (W)
5. Fritz Tavana (W)
6. Ethan King (W)
8. Ned Slack Smith (B)
11. Theo Kidd (T)
14. Luke Tucker (K)
15. Ethan Flanagan (C)

The 10 spot is an interesting one. Right now Katoa is the clear favourite, but Hanadford and Morrison could definitely make a run at the jersey by the end of the season. I assume we will get a fairly good idea of how far ahead Katoa is by the end of Round 1. The 3 spot is also contestable as the Cranbrook prop Parker could make some noise this season, although the prescence of 'DionYaz'sUncle' on this forum perviously has led me to select him haha.

Coach: WLF - Ha ha just some banter although some of the insight he gives on these forums does make me liken him to that of Ewen McKenzie.

Poops ;)
The following will also be in the mix:

Props - Finau (B) Smith (W)
Hookers - Sullivan (W)
2nd Row - Hooper (B) Nicholas (C)
Back row - Herdman (K) Elder (W) White (C)
No.9 - Walton (C) Phillipson (B)
10 - As above
IC - Wood (A) Baldwin (C) Kennedy (B)
OC - As above
W - Galloway (B)
FB - As above

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)

1. Jack Black (K)
3. Dion Yazdani (B)
4. Clem Halohalo (W)
5. Fritz Tavana (W)
6. Ethan King (W)
8. Ned Slack Smith (B)
11. Theo Kidd (T)
14. Luke Tucker (K)
15. Ethan Flanagan (C)

Poops ;)

Will chime in here with my 2 cents although probably not even worth that. My selection is picked from players ( year 11 ) in the 2020 merit team and then select current form around them.

1 Smith (W)
2 Obaseki (C)
3 Black (K)
4 Halaholo (W)
5 Tavana (W)
6 Slack Smith (B)
7 Kardash (B)
8 King (W)

9 Thorn (W)
10 Katoa (B)
11 Kidd (T)
12 McCleod (K)
13 Dimovitch (W)
14 Tucker (K)
15 Flanagan (C)

The Waverley forwards get the bulk of the selection due to their dominance at set piece , Smith has dominated at scrum time carrying on from last season teamed up with the lively Obaseki and another front row beast in Black. Behind them will be the giant Waverley second row of Halaholo and Tavana both in the Gen Blue senior academy dangerous on defence but just as dangerous with ball in hand. A tight 5 that will give GPS a shove around the pitch. Back row of King ,Kardash and Slack Smith will complement the pack with their abrasive skills at break down and Slack Smith another option at line out.

The backs will see plenty of ball with this pack which will see Thorn manage a excellent backline with skill , power and speed throughout. Katoa will relish his outsides with the 2 powerhouse ball runners in McCleod and Dimovitch and a quality back 3.
Current form of GPS schools through the trial period would suggest that they will need to do their homework before facing this team.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
My Predictions for this round

Trinity v Aloys- Trinity 1-10, I'd say trinity are hot favorites to win this game, but for the sake of me wanting a competitive CAS competition, I'm predicting aloys will put up a good fight but lose the game towards the end.

Barker v Cranbrook- Barker 14+, can't see anyone competing with Barker this year if i'm honest

Knox v Waverly- Waverly 1-10 will be a tight game, but I think the waves boys will persevere and take the win.

CAS 1010,

A very interesting comment about the Barker team, no doubt very good, but what other CAS schools have you seen?

Whilst I am sure we all agree that comparing games on preseason form doesn't necessarily mean anything on the day but here's a thought, similar to the process that Snort uses in his analogies.

1. Barker and Knox have both played Riverview, a close loss and a close win.
2. Barker, Knox and Waves have all played Oakhill, 2 wins and a tight loss.
3. Barker beat Joeys, always hard to do, but how good is this years Joeys team, compared to many of it's previous champion sides?
4. Barker, Knox and Waves beat Newington, Barker easily, but how strong was that New team that day.
5. Knox and Waves beat Shore.
6. Riverview beat Kings 12-10, so Kings must have been strong that day, Waves beat Kings by some.

So on those results here are some interesting thoughts for people to comment on, if they so wish.

1. I am guessing that we all think that Trinity, who are unbeaten in its 6 preseason games, will beat Aloys.
2. I have always maintained that this Cranbrook team is strong, so the result here v Barker, may either prove that Cranbrook or Barker are the real deal. You would expect, from all the hype though, that Barker will win this by 50, let's
see?
3. This may be the game that resets peoples thinking, Waves v Knox.
If the game is close then the comp should be close but if the Waves win handsomely then you can draw your own
conclusion.

This BS is what this thread is all about! Let it rip guys!