• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Gentlemen of the Forums, on my lunch break so I thought it may be appropriate to give my early CAS 1sts predictions (assuming no injuries throughout the season of course).

1. Jack Black (K)
2. Romeo Bray (K) or Obaseki (C)
3. Dion Yazdani (B)
4. Clem Halohalo (W)
5. Fritz Tavana (W)
6. Ethan King (W)
7. Joel Kardash (B) or Sartena (C)
8. Ned Slack Smith (B)
9. Tom Goddard (K) or Klayton Thorn (W)
10. Katoa (B) or Hunter Hanadford (T) or Tom Morrison (K)
11. Theo Kidd (T)
12. Jarrah McLeod (K) or Bruton (A)
13. Eli Sagala (B) or Dimmovitch (W)
14. Luke Tucker (K)
15. Ethan Flanagan (C)

The 10 spot is an interesting one. Right now Katoa is the clear favourite, but Hanadford and Morrison could definitely make a run at the jersey by the end of the season. I assume we will get a fairly good idea of how far ahead Katoa is by the end of Round 1. The 3 spot is also contestable as the Cranbrook prop Parker could make some noise this season, although the prescence of 'DionYaz'sUncle' on this forum perviously has led me to select him haha.

Coach: WLF - Ha ha just some banter although some of the insight he gives on these forums does make me liken him to that of Ewen McKenzie.

See you all at Death Valley this weekend,
Poops ;)

Hey Poops,

Very funny! I do mean that, although I'm not sure what you mean by Ewen! Trust it's funny!
I can't imagine coaching full stop, much easier commenting on the sideline. ;)

Hope the weather is fine for all teams on sat and they all play their best.
Will definitely be at the game, can't wait.
The crowd will be huge being the 1st CAS comp game, people missed it all last year, we are playing Knox, and there will be at least 5 year reunions from 1971 to 2011, so I suggest you stay well away from the obvious sideline!

We will warmly welcome all Knox brethren to Death Valley!

CAS Rugby 1010

Bob McCowan (2)
CAS 1010,

A very interesting comment about the Barker team, no doubt very good, but what other CAS schools have you seen?

Whilst I am sure we all agree that comparing games on preseason form doesn't necessarily mean anything on the day but here's a thought, similar to the process that Snort uses in his analogies.

1. Barker and Knox have both played Riverview, a close loss and a close win.
2. Barker, Knox and Waves have all played Oakhill, 2 wins and a tight loss.
3. Barker beat Joeys, always hard to do, but how good is this years Joeys team, compared to many of it's previous champion sides?
4. Barker, Knox and Waves beat Newington, Barker easily, but how strong was that New team that day.
5. Knox and Waves beat Shore.
6. Riverview beat Kings 12-10, so Kings must have been strong that day, Waves beat Kings by some.

So on those results here are some interesting thoughts for people to comment on, if they so wish.

1. I am guessing that we all think that Trinity, who are unbeaten in its 6 preseason games, will beat Aloys.
2. I have always maintained that this Cranbrook team is strong, so the result here v Barker, may either prove that Cranbrook or Barker are the real deal. You would expect, from all the hype though, that Barker will win this by 50, let's
see?
3. This may be the game that resets peoples thinking, Waves v Knox.
If the game is close then the comp should be close but if the Waves win handsomely then you can draw your own
conclusion.

This BS is what this thread is all about! Let it rip guys!

WLF,

More than happy for you to challenge my comment. But from what I gathered, from the riverview v knox game, view where down some serious players, and had rested one of their best players, their 10. In which when Barker, played view, view put forward a much stronger team. Where Barker only lost in the dying minutes. Therefore i've built the assumption that Barker will be too strong throughout at the season as they continue to improve.

Cheers,

CAS Rugby 1010

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF,

For than happy for you to challenge my comment. But from what I gathered, from the riverview v knox game, view where down some serious players, and had rested one of their best players, their 10. In which when Barker, played view, view put forward a much stronger team. Where Barker only lost in the dying minutes. Therefore i've built the assumption that Barker will be too strong throughout at the season as they continue to improve.

Cheers,

CAS Rugby 1010

Agree with all that, but view also took their 10 off at time v Barker, mind you I believe Barker had 3 good players out, so I guess we can make of it what we will.

My real point was, who else in the CAS, have you seen? and if you have a look at my preseason game comparisons above,that I have just posted, you could draw a different viewpoint.
I would hope that every team improves as the season continues.

Cheers!

Matty D

Frank Row (1)
ok fellow CAS fanatics here is my prediction for what its worth

1. Jack Black C (gen blue)
2. Obaseki
3. Dion Yazdani B (gen blue)
4. Clem Halohalo W (senior waratah academy)
5. Fritz Tavana W (senior waratah academy)
6. Ethan Kin (gen blue)
7. Joel Kardash B
8. Ned Slack-Smith B (gen blue)
9. Klayton Thorn W (senior waratah academy)
10. Katoa B (gen blue)
11. Theo Kidd T
12. Jarrah McLeod K (gen blue )
13. Dimovitch W
14. Luke Tucker K
15. Tom Morrison K ( gen blue)

i dont think we've seen such an experienced CAS team in the past.

Charles_Goodwin1998

Frank Row (1)
I personally think we will see more Trinity players in the CAS side this year. both spread out between 1s and 2s. Bertie Alcock (2), Kai Roberts (7), Olly White (15) with all tremendous attributes to their game. Kai Roberts and Bertie are both key players to the Trinity side and from what i have watched of them they both have always been the most dominant players in the breakdown. I also was told that both boys made the U16 CAS side in 2019. Olly White is a new name to the forum but was selected to play NSW 7's unfortunately pulling out late to injury. But with this been said there are quality players spread out amongst the other schools so it is very hard to say what the final CAS squad will look like.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
ok fellow CAS fanatics here is my prediction for what its worth

1. Jack Black C (gen blue)
2. Obaseki
3. Dion Yazdani B (gen blue)
4. Clem Halohalo W (senior waratah academy)
5. Fritz Tavana W (senior waratah academy)
6. Ethan Kin (gen blue)
7. Joel Kardash B
8. Ned Slack-Smith B (gen blue)
9. Klayton Thorn W (senior waratah academy)
10. Katoa B (gen blue)
11. Theo Kidd T
12. Jarrah McLeod K (gen blue )
13. Dimovitch W
14. Luke Tucker K
15. Tom Morrison K ( gen blue)

i dont think we've seen such an experienced CAS team in the past.

Matty D, respect you view, but I think you will find that Reeve Smith (W) is the first prop picked for his set scrum prowess, and the fact he has also been in the gen blue set up, and was in the 16s CAS Rep side, not that that matters much anymore, and was picked in last years 2020 team, and he has his 2 school second rowers right behind him.
So the other prop will be between Jack and Dion imo.

There are only 2 CAS games before this side is picked, so all these props won't get to play against each other before the team is chosen, but Black will go up against Smith this sat.

I also think the 15 will definitely be Cranbrooks Ethan Flanagan, very talented player, gen blue, 16s CAS Rep side etc etc etc.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I personally think we will see more Trinity players in the CAS side this year. both spread out between 1s and 2s. Bertie Alcock (2), Kai Roberts (7), Olly White (15) with all tremendous attributes to their game. Kai Roberts and Bertie are both key players to the Trinity side and from what i have watched of them they both have always been the most dominant players in the breakdown. I also was told that both boys made the U16 CAS side in 2019. Olly White is a new name to the forum but was selected to play NSW 7's unfortunately pulling out late to injury. But with this been said there are quality players spread out amongst the other schools so it is very hard to say what the final CAS squad will look like.

CG1998,

You could be right, and clearly they are all good players, but you may not have seen the others that have been chosen by other people. They may well be chosen in the 2nd CAS team. They made the 16s CAS squad but not the run on side.

More will be revealed when Trinity play the other CAS teams coming up.

Allen Farmer

Frank Row (1)
Will chime in here with my 2 cents although probably not even worth that. My selection is picked from players ( year 11 ) in the 2020 merit team and then select current form around them.

1 Smith (W)
2 Obaseki (C)
3 Black (K)
4 Halaholo (W)
5 Tavana (W)
6 Slack Smith (B)
7 Kardash (B)
8 King (W)

9 Thorn (W)
10 Katoa (B)
11 Kidd (T)
12 McCleod (K)
13 Dimovitch (W)
14 Tucker (K)
15 Flanagan (C)

The Waverley forwards get the bulk of the selection due to their dominance at set piece , Smith has dominated at scrum time carrying on from last season teamed up with the lively Obaseki and another front row beast in Black. Behind them will be the giant Waverley second row of Halaholo and Tavana both in the Gen Blue senior academy dangerous on defence but just as dangerous with ball in hand. A tight 5 that will give GPS a shove around the pitch. Back row of King ,Kardash and Slack Smith will complement the pack with their abrasive skills at break down and Slack Smith another option at line out.

The backs will see plenty of ball with this pack which will see Thorn manage a excellent backline with skill , power and speed throughout. Katoa will relish his outsides with the 2 powerhouse ball runners in McCleod and Dimovitch and a quality back 3.
Current form of GPS schools through the trial period would suggest that they will need to do their homework before facing this team.

I believe the GPS side will dominate in the backs but their forwards will be dominated by CAS

CAS

9 Tom Goddard (K)Thorn (W)
10 Katoa (B)
11 Kidd (T)
12 McCleod (K)
13 Sagala (B) Dimovitch (W)
14 Tucker (K)
15 Flanagan (C)

GPS

9 Nelson (I)
10 Bowen (B)
11 Perkins (I) O. Jorgensen (J)
12 O'Donnell (I)
13 Wong (S) Kalokalo (S) Arnott (K) Threkeld (I)
14 Granger (I)
15 M. Jorgensen (J) Cummins (S) Taukumo (N)

Comparing both sides

9. Fairly even
10 Bowen easily
11 Kidd most likely
12 O'Donnell Easily
13 CAS both strong players but can be matched if not suffer to the GPS OC
14 Granger (in that position, since tucker primarily fullback)
15 GPS fullbacks will be stronger

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
1. Reeve-Smith (W: CAS 1s 2020) or Black (K)
2. Bray (K: CAS 1s 2020)
3. Yazdani (B: CAS 1s 2020 reserve) or Jackson (T: CAS 1s 2020 reserve)
4. Halohalo (W: CAS 1s 2020)
5. Fritz (W: CAS 1s 2020)
6. Kardash (B)
7. King (W)
8. Slack-smith (B)
9. Thorn (W)
10. Katoa (B) or Di Bartolo (W) or Hannaford (T) [in order]
11. Kidd (T)
12. Mcleod (K) or Wood (A: CAS 1s 2020)
13. Dimovich (W) or M
14. Flannagan (W)
15. Tucker (K: CAS 1s 2020)

Bolded are definite selections.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
1. Reeve-Smith (W: CAS 1s 2020) or Black (K)
2. Bray (K: CAS 1s 2020)
3. Yazdani (B: CAS 1s 2020 reserve) or Jackson (T: CAS 1s 2020 reserve)
4. Halohalo (W: CAS 1s 2020)
5. Fritz (W: CAS 1s 2020)
6. Kardash (B)
7. King (W)
8. Slack-smith (B)
9. Thorn (W)
10. Katoa (B) or Di Bartolo (W) or Hannaford (T) [in order]
11. Kidd (T)
12. Mcleod (K) or Wood (A: CAS 1s 2020)
13. Dimovich (W) or M
14. Flannagan (W)
15. Tucker (K: CAS 1s 2020)

Bolded are definite selections.

Baxter,

Based on your logic of the 2020 incumbents, then no 1 is guaranteed not no 3, which I think is true.
Others imo who are absolute certs are no 7, no 9, no 13 and no 14 (should be no 15).
Also not sure if no 2 will be ready to play, so if not Obaseki (C) may make it, or Sullivan (W).
The other bolter could be Elder (W) at 6 or 7. Brilliant this year, and in the run on side in the 16s CAS side.

6Eggs

Frank Row (1)
Comrades of the forum, I would like to throw my hat into the ring for CAS predictions

1. Black (K)
2. Bray (K)
3. Yazdani (B)
4. Halohalo (W)
5. Tavana (W)
6. Kin (W)
7. Kardash (B)
8. Slack-Smith (B)
9. Goddard (K)/Thorn (W)
10. Katoa (B)/Dunkin (A)
11. Kidd (T)
12. McLeod (K)
13. Dimovitch (W)
14. White (T)
15. Morrison (K)

Few bold calls in here. Please feel free to leave any feedback on my thoughts.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I believe the GPS side will dominate in the backs but their forwards will be dominated by CAS

CAS

9 Tom Goddard (K)Thorn (W)
10 Katoa (B)
11 Kidd (T)
12 McCleod (K)
13 Sagala (B) Dimovitch (W)
14 Tucker (K)
15 Flanagan (C)

GPS

9 Nelson (I)
10 Bowen (B)
11 Perkins (I) O. Jorgensen (J)
12 O'Donnell (I)
13 Wong (S) Kalokalo (S) Arnott (K) Threkeld (I)
14 Granger (I)
15 M. Jorgensen (J) Cummins (S) Taukumo (N)

Comparing both sides

9. Fairly even
10 Bowen easily
11 Kidd most likely
12 O'Donnell Easily
13 CAS both strong players but can be matched if not suffer to the GPS OC
14 Granger (in that position, since tucker primarily fullback)
15 GPS fullbacks will be stronger

Yep, GPS wins that matchup. But so would any team with three fullbacks!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm not sure how CAS selection works these days. It used to happen that each school nominated a selector, but each school's nominated selector saw matches in which his nominating school didn't play - the idea being that each selector would focus on other school's players rather than promoting his own. Anyway, I would have thought that if you were a CAS selector, the place to be this weekend is Queens Park, where several of the contested positions could be decided. At least one front row place, the 9, and maybe the centres could well be chosen on the form shown in this matchup.

The Barker/Cranbrook game is an interesting one for selections too. Barker has three candidates who need to get injured to miss out: Slack-Smith, Yazdani and Katoa. Cranbrook has two realistic contenders in Obaseki and Flanagan. I think Obaseki is a strong chance because (a) he's good and (b) he's Cranbrook's best chance of representation, and the selectors sometimes like to pick from as many schools as possible.

The same principle could favour Kidd in the Trinity/Aloysius game. He, too, is good, and he's Trinity's best chance of a CAS 1sts spot. Hannaford is a better all-round footballer, and wouldn't be out of place in a CAS side, but it's hard to see him getting in ahead of Katoa. One thing's for sure, in all the weekend's matchups, the fewest CAS players will come from this one!

Objectively, the place to be this weekend is Queens Park. But that's not how Rugby works: we stick with the tribe, rather than going to the best game. Sydney University (7 from 7, just quietly) has the Shute Shield bye this week, so I'm a 50-50 chance to get out to Summer Hill. if I get there, I'll post from the game if anything interesting happens.

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
I'm not sure how CAS selection works these days. It used to happen that each school nominated a selector, but each school's nominated selector saw matches in which his nominating school didn't play - the idea being that each selector would focus on other school's players rather than promoting his own. Anyway, I would have thought that if you were a CAS selector, the place to be this weekend is Queens Park, where several of the contested positions could be decided. At least one front row place, the 9, and maybe the centres could well be chosen on the form shown in this matchup.

The Barker/Cranbrook game is an interesting one for selections too. Barker has three candidates who need to get injured to miss out: Slack-Smith, Yazdani and Katoa. Cranbrook has two realistic contenders in Obaseki and Flanagan. I think Obaseki is a strong chance because (a) he's good and (b) he's Cranbrook's best chance of representation, and the selectors sometimes like to pick from as many schools as possible.

The same principle could favour Kidd in the Trinity/Aloysius game. He, too, is good, and he's Trinity's best chance of a CAS 1sts spot. Hannaford is a better all-round footballer, and wouldn't be out of place in a CAS side, but it's hard to see him getting in ahead of Katoa. One thing's for sure, in all the weekend's matchups, the fewest CAS players will come from this one!

Objectively, the place to be this weekend is Queens Park. But that's not how Rugby works: we stick with the tribe, rather than going to the best game. Sydney University (7 from 7, just quietly) has the Shute Shield bye this week, so I'm a 50-50 chance to get out to Summer Hill. if I get there, I'll post from the game if anything interesting happens.

A little bit of research through the archives and info from a reliable source tells us this. Snort you are correct in saying the game of the round will be at QP tomorrow afternoon. My research tells me that the 9 CAS spot should be locked in with Thorn the winner by a country mile. He is in the senior Gen Blue camp and is highly rated by hierarchy at tahs HQ.
Research also tells us that the Waverley loose head Smith has a good track record CAS 16s ,CAS 1st merit as well as 2nd yr Gen Blue player. Knox’s Black also CAS 16s and a Gen Blue participant but also plays tight head. But smart money would be on Smith who has shoved around every CAS and most GPS front rows in the past. Add in the combination of his school second rowers who will be certainties in this team puts him as favourite.
Black could possibly be a tight head selection and is a superior scrummager compared to Yazdani who has lost out to both Smith & Black at rep selection time over the past 2 years.

Slack Smith can also be locked in a talented player and leader. The only question is 6 or 8 for SS. Depending on if Waverley’s 8 King makes the cut both can play either position so watch this space.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Forecast for tomorrow: windy. Strong southerly could play a part in tomorrow's games. Conditions like that are often an interesting test of a team's tactical acumen.

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
The Barker seconds were smashed by Joeys. Joeys 2’s narrowly lost to Scots 2’s last weekend. Barker didn’t play any of the 13, 14 or 15A’s at Joeys and lost the 16a’s to Joeys. I think the point regarding depth stands all on its own.

You'll note I didn't make any claim that Barker has the depth to come close to Joeys, just that your assessment of the gave vs Riverview 4th was way off the mark!

THP3

Bob McCowan (2)
I’m calling a big hit tomorrow waves v Knox and the Waverley scrum won’t dominate.

THP3

Bob McCowan (2)
Wish from u16s on you could use your scrum as weapon. Yes I know this will make people unhappy but sometimes you have to man up. I carried 40kg concrete bags minimum of 2 at a time. Now it’s 1 20kg bag.

THP3

Bob McCowan (2)
Also everyone playing the game should be able to pass and catch from both sides. Why do we constantly let other countries beat us because they have better skills than us. And coaches don’t let kids show them.