• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Bryn had a good game but I think Cranbrook No2 was better today. Certainly lived up to his hype.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
It’s a tough one rod... knox destroyed the Riverview front row last week... yet today neither front 3 were noticeably dominant at set piece, but I haven’t seen barker so could be talking out of my hat. Was impressed by waves today, very physical as always but their ability to turnover possession in the tackle contest was exceptional

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Just on why I think Waves are favourites. The Knox side I watched today would not have beaten the View side I watched last week. And from what I heard from Hornsby, this Barker side is not consistent enough to beat Waves, who crushed Kings and Knox. I hope to be proven wrong. On the Barker plus side is that they played 60 minutes without their capt Ned Slack Smith today, and were without Hooper (4) their starting 9 Philipson and Macintire (14) as well. Unfortunately 2 of those boys may have season ending injuries.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So Trinity took an important first step towards avoiding the wooden spoon at Summer Hill this afternoon. It has a messy game: both sides tried hard throughout, but neither had the skill to put together a sequence of phases.

Aloysius had the breeze in the first half and used it sensibly, kicking well for position. They tried to run the ball as much as possible but their hands, and some solid Trinity defence, let them down. The one score in the first half came when Trinity 10 Hannaford found 11 Kidd with a cut-out ball, and Kidd skipped past one defender and ran in from 40 yards.

Trinity had the better of the scrums, while St Aloysius, after losing its first throw, had by far the better lineout.

In the second half, Trinity also made good use of the wind, and most of the play was in the Aloysius half. Kidd scored again, from a nicely-worked backline move, but when 13 Wood hit back for St Aloysius the game was still close at 10-5. Hannaford darted over from a quick tap and then Trinity 15 Edmed finished off a 90-metre counterattack which (according to the vociferous Aloys supporters) included a knock-on.

Best for Trinity was Kidd, who scored twice but spent much of the game looking frustrated on the wing - Trinity needs to find a way to involve him more. In the forwards, 2 Alcock had an immense game, pilfering the ball regularly, and running and tackling hard. 3 Jackson also bent the line frequently. 10 Hannaford was a pillar of strength. For St Aloysius 4 McDonagh was good at the lineout, 13 Wood ran well, and so did 15 Bailey. 7 Mathias had a busy, vigorous game.

On this form, both sides will struggle for the rest of the competition. There was no shortage of effort or spirit, but both packs are a little underpowered and both sides struggled to build pressure by stringing phases together.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Teams, Barker defense was very average compared to other games they will have to pick up their game against Waverly, I think losing Slack Smith didn't help
20210529_184420.jpg

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So, some interesting scores but results as expected. Cranbrook's effort at Barker was the big surprise, I guess, but they face Waverley next week and it's hard to see them springing an upset there. Barker can afford to be below full strength to see off a game but limited St Aloysius team, while Knox will look to bounce back at Trinity. Everything points to the two unbeaten sides at the end of Round 2 meeting in Round 3 - and that match is more than likely to decide the whole thing.

I don't see much point naming one side or the other as favourites. Apart from anything else, the third round is played after the representative season, and (though you hope not) injuries can be a factor there. We can't be sure who'll be lining up in mid-July. Besides, while I do place great store in form as a predictor of outcomes, Waverley and Barker have both shown this season that they're capable of beating high-quality opposition. I remember once having a conversation with a CAS 1s fullback about the form of a couple of sides and he listened respectfully and then said, "Yeah. But, you know, it's on the day that counts." Which I guess is right. On a given day, either side could win. Bounce of the ball, a ref's call, an unlucky injury... you never know.

Incidentally, I'm not sure what the concussion rules are (assuming the CAS uses them). But if they were actually concussed then I'd be surprised if Slack-Smith (B) or Alcock (T) were on deck next week.

Cuz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rugby Australia return to play guidelines say you return to training after 19 days. Brave people who go against the doctors advice...

Incidentally, I'm not sure what the concussion rules are (assuming the CAS uses them). But if they were actually concussed then I'd be surprised if Slack-Smith (B) or Alcock (T) were on deck next week.[/quote]

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
It's 19 days minimum, from the following day, that medical sign off can be given to return to match play.

The first few days, is zero activity. If at any stage, there is a setback, go back to zero, and start again. So under best case, during a season, a junior player who is concussed will miss at least two matches, any complications it is three weeks plus.

So a concussion on a Saturday, at best with zero side effects starts day 1 on the Sunday, that is in theory. Day 19 is a Thursday. So can play the Friday.

So for today's concussions, at best with zero side effect starts tomorrow 30th May (and it has to be signed off by a Doctor who has done relevant SCAT5 tests, and will do the final sign off too), and resume playing Friday 18th June.

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
And stating the obvious, in case peeps are in doubt, all school and club rugby fall under the ARU jurisdiction.

hornsby4life

Allen Oxlade (6)
St Aloysius really impressed me over the preseason and It would be safe to assume they are favourites to take out the title despite their 22-5 lost to Trinity. Their narrow and tough wins over St Pius, Stannies, Pats, Gregs and Scots 3s shows what they're capable of. Its safe to say the boys from Hornsby should be very worried about next Saturday 3.15.

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
Joker is obviously still on these forums, he liked Ace Ventura's post just above - though he appears to be muzzled by the fearless and fearsome Cyclopath (well, who wouldn't be...)

Hope you do your time soon Joker, and are back on the forums - I miss your posts mate (though I suspect Cyclo doens't :) )

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
St Aloysius really impressed me over the preseason and It would be safe to assume they are favourites to take out the title despite their 22-5 lost to Trinity. Their narrow and tough wins over St Pius, Stannies, Pats, Gregs and Scots 3s shows what they're capable of. Its safe to say the boys from Hornsby should be very worried about next Saturday 3.15.

Aloys is said to be a selective school. I would have expected something a bit, well, wittier?

The Colonel

Frank Row (1)
Aloys is said to be a selective school. I would have expected something a bit, well, wittier?

Snort. If that was written by an Aloys boy it would be wittier. Seems the Barker boys are having a sly crack. Enjoyed your summary of the game yesterday. Having seen the replay it certainly was a knock on. Best for rest of season.