• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

Michael_Pooper

Stan Wickham (3)
Seems as tho it's that time of the year when schoolboys find it ammusing to come on to the forums and promote their respective schools. Usually it's somewhat insightful but that is just atrocious hornsby4life!

MP (Moana Pasifika)

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Joker is obviously still on these forums, he liked Ace Ventura's post just above - though he appears to be muzzled by the fearless and fearsome Cyclopath (well, who wouldn't be.)

Hope you do your time soon Joker, and are back on the forums - I miss your posts mate (though I suspect Cyclo doens't :) )
Same. Joker is the best.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
“Hornsby4life”? Sounds like a cruel and unnatural sentence.

WLF has been strangely quiet since half time on Saturday - unusual for him after a good Waverley win. I’m starting to wonder whether a passing Rottweiler attacked him from behind while he was watching on the western touch line? By the way, has WLF jr made it back onto the paddock?

Random stat of the day: Kidd now has nine tries for Trinity this season. Which isn’t a vast number but only 16 players have managed ten in a season for the school 1st XV in 108 years, so one more try puts him in good company. The record is Robert O’Reilly’s 25 in 2005.

Chilli Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Now seen 5 of the 6 CAS teams play except Aloys. Here's my update on the CAS side.
Front Row - Lots of good props. Some big bodies and good ball runners. When CAS plays GPS, there will not be the need for a scrum beast. GPS just dont have the cattle up front. So pick the best all round props. IMO, Dion (B) & Reeve (W) get the nod.
Hookers - Nosa (C) has the gig atm. Throwing well at lineout and fabulous around the park.
Second Row - Shut the gate. Clem & Fritz.
6 - If Slack Smith Plays. King will be 6. If not Halatokoua (W) or Sartena (C)
7 - This is always a tough battle - Joel K (B) probably slightly ahead, but White (C) Alex E (W) and Benefield very close.
8 - Ned or Ethan
9 - Clayton T (W) - However Tom G (K) and Walton (C) are probs better than any GPS option. Phillipson (B) shoulder injury. CAS blessed with halfbacks.
10 - Isaiya K (B) - Hannaford a close second. Torrence (C) almost outplayed Katoa, so worth a mention.
11 - Kidd (T) - may have a defensive liability, but speed and size should out weigh this.
12 - This is a coin toss - Those who have impressed - Mcleod (K) Baldwin (C) & Wood (A), or so I'm lead to believe - Will need to be able to handle O'Donnell
13 - IMO the weakest link - Eli S (B) & Aaron D (W)
14 - Poulos (K)
15 - Flanagan (C) - Dodgy shoulders weaken his defense, but outstanding vision. Otherwise Tucker (K)

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Now seen 5 of the 6 CAS teams play except Aloys. Here's my update on the CAS side.
Front Row - Lots of good props. Some big bodies and good ball runners. When CAS plays GPS, there will not be the need for a scrum beast. GPS just dont have the cattle up front. So pick the best all round props. IMO, Dion (B) & Reeve (W) get the nod.
Hookers - Nosa (C) has the gig atm. Throwing well at lineout and fabulous around the park.
7 - This is always a tough battle - Joel K (B) probably slightly ahead, but White (C) Alex E (W) and Benefield very close.
8 - Ned or Ethan
9 - Clayton T (W) - However Tom G (K) and Walton (C) are probs better than any GPS option. Phillipson (B) shoulder injury. CAS blessed with halfbacks.
10 - Isaiya K (B) - Hannaford a close second. Torrence (C) almost outplayed Katoa, so worth a mention.
11 - Kidd (T) - may have a defensive liability, but speed and size should out weigh this.
12 - This is a coin toss - Those who have impressed - Mcleod (K) Baldwin (C) & Wood (A), or so I'm lead to believe - Will need to be able to handle O'Donnell
14 - Poulos (K)
15 - Flanagan (C) - Dodgy shoulders weaken his defense, but outstanding vision. Otherwise Tucker (K)

This looks realistic to me. I suspect that Flanagan may be in the side at 14, making room for Tucker at 15.

I've now seen Kidd a couple of times and I don't think his defence is poor. He can be turned around by someone agile, but the couple of times I've seen that happen, he's recovered to make the tackle.

Chilli Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
This looks realistic to me. I suspect that Flanagan may be in the side at 14, making room for Tucker at 15.

I've now seen Kidd a couple of times and I don't think his defence is poor. He can be turned around by someone agile, but the couple of times I've seen that happen, he's recovered to make the tackle.

its probably more a mind set thing with him. More than capable of defending well.

Allen Farmer

Frank Row (1)
8 - Ned or Ethan
14 - Poulos (K)

1/3. No jack Black?
9. I think Dan Nelson from view would be second to Clayton when combining both CAS & GPS
10. Surprising no Tom Morrison from Knox in the convo
12. O'donnell came from the field early and did not return, hopefully back next week

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
“Hornsby4life”? Sounds like a cruel and unnatural sentence.

WLF has been strangely quiet since half time on Saturday - unusual for him after a good Waverley win. I’m starting to wonder whether a passing Rottweiler attacked him from behind while he was watching on the western touch line? By the way, has WLF jr made it back onto the paddock?

Random stat of the day: Kidd now has nine tries for Trinity this season. Which isn’t a vast number but only 16 players have managed ten in a season for the school 1st XV in 108 years, so one more try puts him in good company. The record is Robert O’Reilly’s 25 in 2005.

Hello Snort!

The only comment I will make is that the only Rottweilers I saw at QP on sat were on the paddock wearing the double V.
You may also have noticed over the course of the season the only comment I have made about our team is an early prediction that the Waves would win the comp and be undefeated, nothing since in regards to each game.

I did make a post no #720 where I did a YOU, and assessed some relative results in an attempt to get a handle on what may well be the final outcome. If you read it, you will probably agree that after last weeks results, the prediction may now be even more probable.

It's game by game and nothing more, and Cranbrook will be a challenge this weekend, local derby, all the boys know each other very well, and Cranbrook always lift against the double V.

After Sat, the focus will be a small red target, and my hope is that the ghosts of 1979 reappear at Barker Oval!

Both WLF juniors have been out all season, been tough, but hopefully back soon, thx for asking.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
8 - Ned or Ethan
14 - Poulos (K)

CR,

I think this is spot on, I do think 13 will be, and should be, Aaron D (W) and no weak link here!
This is a strong team, I don't envy those packing down against this 1-8 line up.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hello Snort!

The only comment I will make is that the only Rottweilers I saw at QP on sat were on the paddock wearing the double V.
You may also have noticed over the course of the season the only comment I have made about our team is an early prediction that the Waves would win the comp and be undefeated, nothing since in regards to each game.

I did make a post no #720 where I did a YOU, and assessed some relative results in an attempt to get a handle on what may well be the final outcome. If you read it, you will probably agree that after last weeks results, the prediction may now be even more probable.

It's game by game and nothing more, and Cranbrook will be a challenge this weekend, local derby, all the boys know each other very well, and Cranbrook always lift against the double V.

After Sat, the focus will be a small red target, and my hope is that the ghosts of 1979 reappear at Barker Oval!

Both WLF juniors have been out all season, been tough, but hopefully back soon, thx for asking.

WLF, if I were a bookmaker setting odds, then after Saturday Waverley certainly would have firmed in the betting, while Barker's stock fell. But it doesn't quite work like that. I have still seen nothing to sway me from my early-season prediction, which is that either Waverley or Barker will win, just ahead of Knox. I do think Waverley is marginally stronger than Barker, but not by so much that Barker can't hope to win a one-off encounter.

By the way, looking forward to the Barker highlights video of Round 1, which will no doubt show Barker running in try after try. Which isn't untrue, exactly.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, if I were a bookmaker setting odds, then after Saturday Waverley certainly would have firmed in the betting, while Barker's stock fell. But it doesn't quite work like that. I have still seen nothing to sway me from my early-season prediction, which is that either Waverley or Barker will win, just ahead of Knox. I do think Waverley is marginally stronger than Barker, but not by so much that Barker can't hope to win a one-off encounter.

By the way, looking forward to the Barker highlights video of Round 1, which will no doubt show Barker running in try after try. Which isn't untrue, exactly.

Yes I know Snort, that's why I said it was 1 game at a time.
1 obvious observation that will I make is that defense significantly helps to win games, read into last weeks games as you will.

I also trust that you realize shortly you will need to come down off the fence, avoid splinters at all cost!

Luv watching the highlights! :)

Matty D

Frank Row (1)
Death vallley, what a game.

I read on the forum through the week that the game was going to be close. Knox were deer in headlights and were not at waves standard. waves were calm and professional and were on a mission to get the job done.

Waves forwards very impressive with no standouts as they were all as good each other at each of their positions. Faves were King (8) and thorns (9) management was outstanding.

Its been a long time since Ive seen such a well drilled waves rugby team.

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
8 - Ned or Ethan
14 - Poulos (K)

Looks pretty close to me given what I've seen - CAS 2nds will be strong as well

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes I know Snort, that's why I said it was 1 game at a time.
1 obvious observation that will I make is that defense significantly helps to win games, read into last weeks games as you will.

I also trust that you realize shortly you will need to come down off the fence, avoid splinters at all cost!

Luv watching the highlights! :)

Promise you I'll make a call before the game! But for me it will depend a lot on who lines up. For example, I don't think Barker can beat Waverley without Slack-Smith. Let's hope both sides are as close as possible to full strength for Round 3.

Agree with your point that the Barker defence coach has a busy week ahead. Mind you, I don't think an Associated Schools 1st XV team has ever scored 54 points and lost!

Reactions: WLF

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
I was fortunate enough to find a car park a 10min walk away from QP which was a good start to the afternoon. Watched the warm up of Knox 1st XV and was impressed by the size and athleticism crisp ball handling and hard contact on pads. Unfortunately that was about the best I would see of them for the rest of the afternoon. This Waverley team at home is a different beast. The backs were well managed by Thorn who is surely to be CAS 9 and I was super impressed by their 14 who I believe is year 10 and the younger sibling of giant second rower Fritz. 12 & 13 Waverley although not big physically sure do pack a punch and very busy in attack.
In the forwards and battle for the number 1 CAS jersey would IMO go to Smith (W). He had the measure of Black (K) at scrums and is impressive to watch him go through yet another front row opponent. Also the Waverley hooker Sullivan was very busy on both sides of the ball and line out delivery is sharp. He could be a bolter when CAS 1st are announced.
Surprise package is new comer Halatokoua Waverley 6 who had plenty of carries and clinical on defence with another try to add to his name ,he may also be a outside chance should Ned Slack Smith not be selected and Waverley captain King moves to 8.

For Knox I thought their best players were Ned Ericsson who tried hard all day and am sure earns some respect from the Waverley pack.Also his back row partner Herdman showed some good touches and was good at the breakdown.The much talked about Morrison had a very quite game and it seemed he couldn’t get any momentum to go forward and probably played his way out of contention for the 10 CAS jersey.Jarrah McLeod is a big body at 12 and has good hands and attracts defenders so could be another bolter for the 1st team. Pre game I was impressed with the size of winger Poulos and had heard good reports on him but he was taught a few lessons from the Waverley 14 on more than 1 occasion none more so than when the year 10 put on a side step that even Benji Marshall would be proud of. Poulos was left staggering and then seen rubbing his ankle.

Unfortunately for Knox and this age group it is another loss to Waverley but to be fair the boys from QP are very good. This should show next week when CAS 1st and 2nds are announced with Waverley forwards to dominate the 1st pack and Thorn maybe 13 Dimovitch to win places in the backs. I also expect Waverley to have good representation in the 2nds.

From this game and other results IMO Waverley are tracking nicely and will get better every game. Possible selections into CAS 1st from this game are.

1 Smith (W)
2 Sullivan (W)

4 Halaholo (W)
5 Fritz (W)

6 King or Halatokoua (W)
8 King (W) if Slack Smith (B) is unavailable

9 Thorn (W)
12 McLeod (K)
13 Dimovitch (W)

CAS 2nds

1 Black (K)
6 Herdman (K) or Halatokoua (W)

10 Morrison (K)
12 Worthington (W)
14 Jahnke-Tavana (W)

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wouldn't be surprised if Walton (C) is the no 9 in the 2nds.

Oaks might have done the boys a favour last week WLF. Sounds like they came out firing last weekend. As previously mentioned though I think it would be mistaken in the rep selections for the Knox prop (Black) to not be in the 1st's rep team from what I saw in the trial games against other CAS teams. Can see in a rep team he will be solid and lift even higher than in his school team. Boy has work ethic, size and a bloody big motor.

Rugbyparent

Bob McCowan (2)
Agreed J Black is a talent. He plays 3 (not 1...unless he has changed this year?) I haven't seen barker this year. is D Yadzani playing better than Black this year?
I would have thought
1 Smith
3 Black

Oaks might have done the boys a favour last week WLF. Sounds like they came out firing last weekend. As previously mentioned though I think it would be mistaken in the rep selections for the Knox prop (Black) to not be in the 1st's rep team from what I saw in the trial games against other CAS teams. Can see in a rep team he will be solid and lift even higher than in his school team. Boy has work ethic, size and a bloody big motor.