• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Suburban Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Great to see the new pavilion up and running!

Cant believe the fall Waves have had from 1st Div! Must be very hard with the backpackers coming and going!!!!

Do Waverley have any association with the school at all???

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Up until roughly 20-25 years ago they were Wav Old Boys - playing out of Lynne Park - IIRC they dropped the OB tag to accommodate a wider community - did a big letter box drop and fielded 6 teams.

Is this now having an impact in terms of attarcting colts, and players from the school?

B

Braveheart.

Interesting thread here and some good disucssions. I have a keen interest in this thread as I've been playing Div 1 subbies for the past 8 years with Knox.

I've made the unenviable decision to change clubs this year purely motivated by a desire to play with a group of mates I haven't played footy with before.

My first impressions of St Ives are very good. Extremely well organised and some significant numbers turning up for pre-season. It'll be interesting to see how the season pans out for the rest of the year.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Interesting thread here and some good disucssions. I have a keen interest in this thread as I've been playing Div 1 subbies for the past 8 years with Knox.

I've made the unenviable decision to change clubs this year purely motivated by a desire to play with a group of mates I haven't played footy with before.

My first impressions of St Ives are very good. Extremely well organised and some significant numbers turning up for pre-season. It'll be interesting to see how the season pans out for the rest of the year.

Best of luck for the season, i hope Saints have a good year!

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Great to see the new pavilion up and running!

Cant believe the fall Waves have had from 1st Div! Must be very hard with the backpackers coming and going!!!!

Do Waverley have any association with the school at all???
I always used to ask that question, Waverley College are literally across the road. I was told they haver an "arrangement" with Randwick and players are encouraged to go to Randwick

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
So i have read quins site, they are planning for a 3rd team. Do we know if there will be a Div 4 in 2012?
We got a message from Subbies, saying that they were still trying to wokr out the format of the lower divisions, thus the Div 3 draw has not been sorted out yet.

I know that they definitely want to have a Division 4 competition, but whether or not they can sort it out with the clubs, might be another issue.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
We got a message from Subbies, saying that they were still trying to wokr out the format of the lower divisions, thus the Div 3 draw has not been sorted out yet.

I know that they definitely want to have a Division 4 competition, but whether or not they can sort it out with the clubs, might be another issue.

What i think should happen is that Brothers should be promoted to Div 3, with Hills dropping down to Dv 4.

They should then also promote Harlequins into div 4.

Div four should be made up of

Hills
Harlequins
Merrylands
St George
Rockdale
Rouse Hill
Macquarie Uni

Hills have good numbers, but not the playing strength. Need to push Harlequins up. I know some of those sides; Rouse Hill and Rockdale struggled with 3 teams last year so that might put the whole thing in danger!

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
What i think should happen is that Brothers should be promoted to Div 3, with Hills dropping down to Dv 4.

Hills
Harlequins
Merrylands
St George
Rockdale
Rouse Hill
Macquarie Uni

Hills have good numbers, but not the playing strength. Need to push Harlequins up. I know some of those sides; Rouse Hill and Rockdale struggled with 3 teams last year so that might put the whole thing in danger!
Thats tough on Hills, they have better juniors than Brothers...do Brothers have any? They can beat anyone at home....I really hate their pitch always dry and potholed. Im not in favour of giving old boy clubs a leg up over community clubs, however if they deserve to go up by being Club champ...
Rockdale cant do 3 teams and they have had plenty of juniors over the years but hell knows where they end up, league probably

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Grievous. If it was the start of 2011 id agree with you! However with the players that they brought in At least 5 current 1st Grade SS players) they dominated all and sundry in 2011. I dont know how long it will last cos their 2010 in Div was terrible.

I agree with you about Hills. They are the model all clubs should be based upon. I played against them in juniors and they were tough. All the community based clubs (Epping, Hornsby, Hills, H/Valley, Hornsby, Newport, Hunters Hill, St Ives, Oatley, St George, Forest, Lindfield, Roseville and many more) SHOULD be the way of the future, not relying on a generous benefactor to stump up cash so you can dominate for a few seasons and then slump away!

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)

Hills
Harlequins
Merrylands
St George
Rockdale
Rouse Hill
Macquarie Uni

Rouse Hill forfeited all grades including 1st Grade twice last year in Div.4, and did not play a 3rd grade for most of the season. Not sure what their numbers are like this year however it is doubtful subbies would look kindly on them given the amount of forfeits they did last year.

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Is this now having an impact in terms of attarcting colts, and players from the school?

Waverley doesn't have any associations with any schools.

While we are known as Waverley Rugby Club (our name under the Constitution), under the Constitution we are still also Waverley Old Boys, there just isn't an official link.

Randwick / Easts pretty much take up Waverley College's 1st and 2nds sides, and that is totally understandable. If my son was playing at those levels, and wanted to play at the highest standard, I'd be saying go to Randwick.

Waverley's focus should be getting players from 3s down, or players that just can't make the commitment to play at Premiership clubs.

But the problem Waves has is getting someone to actually do the leg work, year in, year out, to make this happen. We don't have that.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Rouse Hill forfeited all grades including 1st Grade twice last year in Div.4, and did not play a 3rd grade for most of the season. Not sure what their numbers are like this year however it is doubtful subbies would look kindly on them given the amount of forfeits they did last year.

I know Rouse Hill had a tough year last year, with up to 20 players leaving before the season started, and they had their posts stolen!

Any other teams in Div 5 capable of 3 teams?

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)

While we are known as Waverley Rugby Club (our name under the Constitution), under the Constitution we are still also Waverley Old Boys, there just isn't an official link.

Randwick / Easts pretty much take up Waverley College's 1st and 2nds sides, and that is totally understandable. If my son was playing at those levels, and wanted to play at the highest standard, I'd be saying go to Randwick.

Waverley's focus should be getting players from 3s down, or players that just can't make the commitment to play at Premiership clubs.

But the problem Waves has is getting someone to actually do the leg work, year in, year out, to make this happen. We don't have that.
Mate, for sure get the lower grades straight out of school - a bbq with lots of beer is usually helpful - facilitate their ability to be with one another after school. Then get the Easts/Rand colts after 1 or 2 years when they know they are not going to be stars. Much rather play with their old school friends.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)

Do Waves have a stable committee each year or is there a lot of chopping and changing?

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Do Waves have a stable committee each year or is there a lot of chopping and changing?

We are not like other clubs who have had people on the Committee for 20+ years. The main problem with Waverley Committees is they are mainly made up of Players, with no real old boys. Which obviously makes things hard time wise.

The Committees have been fairly stable, although there was a big change at the start of last season. Prior to that, for the previous four season it was pretty much the same decision makers on it (disclaimer I was on the committee then). I'd say prior to that the Committee was pretty ineffectual, and the club has been scrambling to get back on top of things since then.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
We are not like other clubs who have had people on the Committee for 20+ years. The main problem with Waverley Committees is they are mainly made up of Players, with no real old boys. Which obviously makes things hard time wise.

The Committees have been fairly stable, although there was a big change at the start of last season. Prior to that, for the previous four season it was pretty much the same decision makers on it (disclaimer I was on the committee then). I'd say prior to that the Committee was pretty ineffectual, and the club has been scrambling to get back on top of things since then.

Funky its very interesting to hear all of this!

The club im associated with is an old boys club, but all of the committee are current players, no non playing members on the committee at all!

Are Waves capable of getting back to Div 1, you guys used to be so dominate!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Subbies twitter account published a picture of Ryan Cross at training for... Balmain.

This is getting fucking stupid.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Damnit they beat me to it. He will be playing for Balmain this year, but not on Saturday as he's away.

Status
Not open for further replies.