• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby 2021

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Has it really only been four weeks since NPC was suspended? Feels like much longer but anyways as of tonight it's back in business & hopefully with no further interruptions or curtailments.

Waikato v Canterbury

Friday 17 September

7:05pm, FMG Stadium Waikato

Downer Referee: Cam Stone

Waikato: 1. Ayden Johnstone (cc) 2. Steven Misa 3. George Dyer 4. James Tucker 5. Laghlan McWhannell 6. Samipeni Finau 7. Mitch Jacobson 8. Jack Lam 9. Xavier Roe 10. Fletcher Smith (cc) 11. Beaudein Waaka 12. Louis Rogers 13. Bailyn Sullivan 14. Liam Coombes-Fabling 15. Matty Lansdown. Reserves: 16. Sam Cooper 17. Ollie Norris 18. Rob Cribb 19. Hamilton Burr 20. Liam Messam 21. Cortez Ratima 22. D'Angelo Leuila 23. Tepaea Cook-Savage

Canterbury: 1. Daniel Lienert-Brown 2. Shilo Klein 3. Oliver Jager 4. Luke Romano 5. Sam Darry 6. Reed Prinsep (c) 7. Billy Harmon 8. Henry Stowers 9. Mitchell Drummond 10. Fergus Burke 11. Waisake Naholo 12. Rameka Poihipi 13. Isaiah Punivai 14. Cameron Bailey 15. Josh McKay. Reserves: 16. Sam Stewart 17. Finlay Brewis 18. Fletcher Newell 19. Daniel Johnson 20. Corey Kellow 21. Jono Kitto 22. Jack Debreczeni 23. Dallas McLeod

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Really enjpoyed sitting down to watch that game. Both teams looked scrappy in first half especially, really looked like they had not played 4 a month, but was pretty ok game for all that. Fletcher Smith was pretty streaky at 10 for Waikato, and not just his kicking, he looked pretty shakey under high balls etc too, and so with all those kids in backline makes it pertty hard I think.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How good was Luke Romano? He's the kinda guy I keep saying we need to keep in the game for as long as possible - past their prime but still a good yard-stick to measure the young guys against. Liam Messam is another I'd put in that category as well.

Locals are moaning about the last conversion but I'm not that sympathetic, people have been noting for a while that his kicking style puts him at risk of being charged, it's a technical issue he needs to address & one of those rare occasions where you can't just put it down to Cantabs being a bunch of cheating cnuts ;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep I with you WOB, I can see both sides of argument, but players had been sent back (which indicates early charge), but he actually started his run up AFTER they had been sent back anyway so................. Anyway I never thought he would get it, he missed a couple of easier ones earlier!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was watching it over post-tangi drinks with several of wifey's uncles & cousins but to me it looked like he took a definite step forward before then going sideways so the charge should've been allowed. Mind you we'd all had a few by then, those uncles & cousins didn't seem to care I had work this morning & kept putting it in front of me & of course you can't say no now can you :). I'm hoping their heads are sore like mine (won't prevent round two tonight, though, some of them are heading home tomorrow so gotta see them off in the traditional manner :)).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was watching it over post-tangi drinks with several of wifey's uncles & cousins but to me it looked like he took a definite step forward before then going sideways so the charge should've been allowed. Mind you we'd all had a few by then, those uncles & cousins didn't seem to care I had work this morning & kept putting it in front of me & of course you can't say no now can you :). I'm hoping their heads are sore like mine (won't prevent round two tonight, though, some of them are heading home tomorrow so gotta see them off in the traditional manner :)).
I feel your pain WOB, somethings we have to do!!;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyhoo, last night's result does mean my Mako can go top of the table if they can beat Taniwha at home later this arvo. It's by no means a done deal but we'd have to be warm favourites.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say watching the Naki/Wellington game,it good to hear the names of Crowly and Slater in the Naki team, just need a Barrett to have the set.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I noticed a Blyde on the 'naki team sheet, presumably a relative of Michaela's?

Ye Gods, Mako are wearing what looks very much like a 'nua shirt from the '70's! I want one!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surprised they didn't go upstairs for that last Taniwha try, last coupla passes looked flat at best. Mind you I thought Hunt was a good half-metre in front of the kicker for the previous Mako try so maybe that's some rough justice.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ I noticed a Blyde on the 'naki team sheet, presumably a relative of Michaela's?

Ye Gods, Mako are wearing what looks very much like a 'nua shirt from the '70's! I want one!
I was going to message about the Mako's jersey WOB, trying to get people scared through seeing the mighty Nua's colours??

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Heartland results:

West Coast 21-28 Horowhenua Kapiti
Buller 13-48 South Canterbury
North Otago 39-31 East Coast
Wairarapa Bush 10-42 Thames Valley
Whanganui 65-12 Poverty Bay
King Country 25-53 Mid Canterbury

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And speaking of the Mighty Nua, undefeated so far in Heartland Championship 2021 !!! :) ;)

King Country 25 v 53 Mid Canterbury
West Coast 21 v 28 Horowhenua Kapiti
Buller 13 v 48 South Canterbury
North Otago 39 v 31 East Coast
Wairarapa Bush 10 v 42 Thames Valley
Whanganui 65 v 12 Poverty Bay

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really looking forward to tomorrow's Battle of the Bays/ Ranfurly Shield match & I'm hoping for a Magpies win as they're likely playing Mako on 9/10, which would be just their third challenge EVER & arguably their best chance of winning it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Really looking forward to tomorrow's Battle of the Bays/ Ranfurly Shield match & I'm hoping for a Magpies win as they're likely playing Mako on 9/10, which would be just their third challenge EVER & arguably their best chance of winning it.
Yep but alternatively WOB, if BOP win the Naki gets a challenge! So I guess I going to be cheering for BOP, would just about set me up as a very happy man if after returning to NZ I ended up in Shield country!!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nearly Shield time.....

Hawke’s Bay v Bay of Plenty (Ranfurly Shield)

Sunday 19 September

2:05pm, McLean Park, Napier

Downer Referee: Paul Williams

Hawke's Bay: 1. Pouri Rakete-Stones 2. Ash Dixon © 3. Joe Apikotoa 4. Geoff Cridge 5. Tom Parsons 6. Marino Mikaele-Tu’u 7. Solomone Funaki 8. Devan Flanders 9. Ereatara Enari 10. Lincoln McClutchie 11. Jonah Lowe 12. Danny Toala 13. Stacey Ili 14. Neria Fomai 15. Lolagi Visinia

Reserves: 16. Jacob Devery 17. Namatahi Waa 18. Joel Hintz 19. Josh Kaifa 20. Gareth Evans 21. Tiaan Falcon 22. Ollie Sapsford 23. Brendon O’Connor

Bay of Plenty: 1. Aidan Ross (c) 2. Nathan Vella 3. Jeff Thwaites 4. Justin Sangster 5. Manaaki Selby-Rickit 6. Angus Scott-Young 7. Mitch Karpik 8. Whetukamokamo Douglas 9. Luke Campbell 10. Kaleb Trask 11. Onisi Ratave 12. Inga Finau 13. Sean Wainui 14. Emoni Narawa 15. Chase Tiatia

Reserves: 16. Nathan Harris 17. Haereiti Hetet 18. Pasilio Tosi 19. Stan Van Den Hoven 20. Penitoa Finau 21. Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi 22. Otere Black 23. Lalomilo Lalomilo

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well that's a bad start for HB, down 0-5 inside five minutes & Devan Flanders off for an HIA.

Edit: failed the HIA, lucky they've got Gareth Evans & Brendon O'Connor on their 6/2 bench.

Great open game so far, well over point-a-minute & going both ways.

Last edited: