• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Olympic 7's

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
We have looked really good for 5 halves. I'm not giving up on them yet.

Their skills have been very impressive too, and defensively their first half against the US was great.

Shannon Parry's try-saving tackle showed she's still got it, and some of the girls ranked 6-10 (Levi, Nathan, Ashby) look up to it.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
We struggle against the big sides.
Fiji doesn't seem to send the big girls out in 7's now so we should be ok (and we beat them a few weeks ago)
Gets to be a challenge after them as they all get a bit of size on them....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My point about resting players was about the coaches lack of confidence in his squad.
if he thinks he needs his rock stars to see out the minnows, we are not the gold medal contenders that many people assume.

And we scored just after Tonegato dropped the ball, so that error had no impact on the scoreboard.

It's a catch 22. We had two easy pool games before our difficult game against the US. Did our players struggle in the second half because of the games the previous day or because of their effort in the first half?

You can only make 5 substitutions so it is a balance between wanting to not overwork players but also get them prepared in the roles they are going to play at the business end.

You have to balance giving your players enough play time together to play well together with not wanting them to be tired. I don't think you can say that of your best 10 players you'll only use 5 in the first match and 5 in the second and then expect them to then play well together in the third game when they're the 10 players you use.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
My point about resting players was about the coaches lack of confidence in his squad.
if he thinks he needs his rock stars to see out the minnows, we are not the gold medal contenders that many people assume.

And we scored just after Tonegato dropped the ball, so that error had no impact on the scoreboard.

I agree calling them gold medallist contenders is a stretch, only have to look at 7’s rankings pre covid and the Oceania cup.
I don’t see how resting players helps that though

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aus v Fiji delayed by lightning, if this afternoon's NZ v Russia game is anything to go by it could be 90 minutes before they get out there - requirement is no lightning within six km of the stadium for at least 30 minutes.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've been impressed with the hands and support play from our womens team. I haven't watched them in a while and I reckon they're going pretty well. That said, I haven't watched the US game yet.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fiji deserved that now. Imagine if they go through and do the double.

Don't know why it took 14 minutes for the girls to try up the middle, kept spinning it to the sides without making space. There was easy metres and holes in the middle.