• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Olympic 7's

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Australia are too small a team, they just seem to get out muscled and lose the collision. Have some fabulous attacking players who were taken out of the game by big defensive shifts against bigger players.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Fiji deserved that now. Imagine if they go through and do the double.

Don't know why it took 14 minutes for the girls to try up the middle, kept spinning it to the sides without making space. There was easy metres and holes in the middle.

I liked the way they just stood still and passed the ball along the line. it was like a bucket brigade. Seems they didn't work out Fiji had two defenders on the fringes to nail the last person in the line then attack the ball. All up, both games today have been appalling. Australia should have won both, but lost both by a conversion - doesn't that raise a question? Why is their conversion kicking so poor? there are so many question that need to be asked here, but probably wont.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
And then they restart with a non contestable kick.
Unbelievable incompetence

Sadly, I have to agree. Good on Fiji, they deserve to win, but it can't be forgiven as to how incompetent the Australians were. The only positive I see out of this is that we don't have to play NZ next. They are a world apart.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Absolutely the 7’s program will be under review following this, RA were spending about $5million pa on it prior to COVID, i don’t know how much of that was offset with government/WR (World Rugby) grants from the 7’s series.. But you imagine that will getting trimmed

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As much as I would have liked to see our team win, I am mindful of the huge distance that the Fijian women have travelled in a few short years. This result would be great for the empowerment of women in Fiji. Good on 'em.

As for us, we were inept and looked disinterested, frankly.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
As much as I would have liked to see our team win, I am mindful of the huge distance that the Fijian women have travelled in a few short years. This result would be great for the empowerment of women in Fiji. Good on 'em.

As for us, we were inept and looked disinterested, frankly.

More than happy for them its a great story, but if no way should our girls be walking away without a medal & our mens shouldnt be loosing as many games as we won. If we want to be the best in the world we need to look at this as a failure

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Rio forced NZR to overhaul the men's 7's program - read, giving the new coach pretty much everything the previous coach wanted but was told was unaffordable - with noticeably improved WS & now Games results. Obviously RA won't be able to throw as much resources at the problems as they could've pre-Covid but maybe there's other aspects of the program (recruitment, S&C, tactics, etc) that can be improved upon until finances improve.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m just interested to see if it’s true, nothing from he women’s team the last 2 years even pre-COVID suggested they were improving, so wondering whether RA would actually offer him an extension?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I’m just interested to see if it’s true, nothing from he women’s team the last 2 years even pre-COVID suggested they were improving, so wondering whether RA would actually offer him an extension?

Given the apparent shortage of coaches in this nation it is no surprise.