• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Olympic 7's

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FT Aus 26-10 China. USA tomorrow should give a good indication as to how far they might go: pre-comp I'd have thought in the 5-8 band but who knows?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
USA well on top of Japan but trying a heap of low-% plays, I wonder if they're over-thinking the PD side of things?

Edit: and they finish with another unforced error: USA 17-7 Japan.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jaysus now Portia's dropped one cold inside the 22 as well! GB 14-0. Sort it out, ladies.

Edit: Another dropped ball, coupla missed tackles & it's 21-0 & as they say NZ are lucky to have that many.

Edit: Blyde pulls one back.

Edit: Blyde pulls another back, HT GB 21-12 NZ.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
FT Aus 26-10 China. USA tomorrow should give a good indication as to how far they might go: pre-comp I'd have thought in the 5-8 band but who knows?

I assume the "they" is the USA.

I thought the second Australian game was quite disappointing given how clinical they were in the first, but they were clearly a class above. I am worried that Manenti hasn't rested his stars enough early, given the heat they're playing in. A number of them played 2X14 mins, which given the scores was totally unnecessary.

NZ down 21-0 a couple of minutes before HT and looking awful, but bang, bang and its 21-12 at HT.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's better! Definite momentum shift to NZ, now it's GB with the dropsies & falling off tackles.

Edit: now a YC for a high shot, should be game over if they can get it wide. As they do, Blyde under the sticks 26-21 & time up. Secure the kickoff & hoof the fucker!

Edit: not quite what I had in mind but it'll do :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I assume the "they" is the USA.

I thought the second Australian game was quite disappointing given how clinical they were in the first, but they were clearly a class above. I am worried that Manenti hasn't rested his stars enough early, given the heat they're playing in. A number of them played 2X14 mins, which given the scores was totally unnecessary.

NZ down 21-0 a couple of minutes before HT and looking awful, but bang, bang and its 21-12 at HT.

"They" as in "You" was what I meant.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just looking at the QF draw, if Aus beat USA they likely play GB, lose & it's likely Canada. Draw is:

Pool A winner (almost certainly NZ) v 8th-ranked qualifier }
Pool B runner-up (Canada?) v Pool C runner-up (USA or Aus) } SF 1

Pool C winner (Aus or USA) v Pool A runner-up (GB) } SF 2
Pool B winner (France?) v 7th qualifier }

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Like Ruby Tui's comment after the game and the droppsies at start. She said "there not enough hand sanitiser in the world to clean up that mess".
Have to say hard not to like those girls, things are pretty tight on field , you see one of the reserves quietly boogieing away on sideline. Seem to be a pretty happy bunch

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ instant classic comment!

They call themselves Sevens Sisters, I'll leave it to people with sisters (all brothers, me) to comment on how sisterly they are but, yep, they tight alright esp when someone's hurt or feeling shit 'cos they've made an error. There's a great pic of Portia in tears after the Rio Final where she felt she'd cost them the game by getting binned & one of the others giving her a hug.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just looking at the QF draw, if Aus beat USA they likely play GB, lose & it's likely Canada. Draw is:

Pool A winner (almost certainly NZ) v 8th-ranked qualifier }
Pool B runner-up (Canada?) v Pool C runner-up (USA or Aus) } SF 1

Pool C winner (Aus or USA) v Pool A runner-up (GB) } SF 2
Pool B winner (France?) v 7th qualifier }

GB will be tough (their aggressive defense was a real highlight v NZ) but at least if we win that game its then likely France rather than NZ in the semi.

The Aussies seem to be playing with a lot more width at the moment rather than the period post Rio where they thought they had to out muscle everyone up the middle. It's great to see and I think comes on the back of some of that young talent such as Ashby, Nathan and Levi

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah a bit worried about GB in the quarters, they look one of the best four or five sides. But those are the games we need to win anyway, I suppose.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And now France have hammered Canada. So France won't be the easy beats I had hoped for.

Good tournament this!

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Looks like China are going to be 2nd best 3rd place at the expense of Canada (defending Bronze medallist)