• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Red Galloper said:
"I have tried staying off the forums but after watching the game of the round today on the reds site I was left ashamed of our great game. There was an incident where the sunnybank #1 knocked out the west #1 with a shoulder charge and elbow to the head. What I have a problem with is when the west player is lying out cold on the ground there is no sportsmenship or remorse shown by the sunnybank players as they are too busy high fiving their player. What makes it worse for me was the sunnybank fans carrying on like a bunch of animals screaming, cheering and beeping horns the entire time the west player is out on the ground receiving medical attention. I feel for the west player's family watching him lay out cold on the ground while sunnybank fans carry on like they did. Just thank goodness he eventual got up as we all know and I've witnessed some not so lucky to get up. Its beyond me how the sunnybank #1 only got penalised and got to finish a full game but the west #1 never returned to the field. If you missed it its on the reds YouTube and its 23min into the game. For a gentlemen's game sunnybank made it look heartless. If it was a fair hit I would have no problems carrying on but it was far from it."
Couldn't agree more with this post.
This point struck me over the weekend when we played Souths Colts. Now this is not a general "bagging" of Souths but an observation. The discipline and knowledge of the games "LAWS" by the players in general was fairly poor. There was constant infringements in the rucks by both colts teams (lying on the ground, not rolling away, diving in from the side, kicking the ball while on the ground). The referee in the Colts 1 game handled it fairly well, but the constant infringements calls into play the responsibility of the coaches to teach the players the "Laws" and the players to respond by putting them into action. Otherwise frustration and more unlawful behaviour becomes the norm.
In Colts 1 Souths were penalised 3-4 times for not being back 10 metres from a penalty. It eventually lead to a yellow card. There was another yellow card (not recorded) for a foul tackle with no arms by one of the reserves. The player (pumped up) once off the field wanted to start something more special, but thankfully the coach/manager cooled him off. In Premier Colts the final penalty of the game, and a shot at goal to win the game, was attempted to be charged down, yes that's right charged down! For mine that is offside marched 10 metres and retake the penalty. But that didn't happen.
The point here is that if the rules aren't reasonably obeyed then the behaviour above will become more prevalent and I don't want that kind of game.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Sage I'm gonna hold you to that 15 points win prediction for Souths over Bond. Even my wild tips aren't that wild.
Or are you talking on the TAB with a headstart?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Anyone think Souths are a genuine finals teams if they keep the few stars they have (and get Farrell back)?????

Well of course they have a chance, they are in the competition. However you need more than 4-5 really good footy players to win this. You need 10-12 above average footy players with 4-5 of them to be really good ones, and from I saw on Saturday, Souths aren't quite there. Maybe that will improve over the season, but just didn't see it on Saturday.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Red Galloper said:
"I have tried staying off the forums but after watching the game of the round today on the reds site I was left ashamed of our great game. There was an incident where the sunnybank #1 knocked out the west #1 with a shoulder charge and elbow to the head. What I have a problem with is when the west player is lying out cold on the ground there is no sportsmenship or remorse shown by the sunnybank players as they are too busy high fiving their player. What makes it worse for me was the sunnybank fans carrying on like a bunch of animals screaming, cheering and beeping horns the entire time the west player is out on the ground receiving medical attention. I feel for the west player's family watching him lay out cold on the ground while sunnybank fans carry on like they did. Just thank goodness he eventual got up as we all know and I've witnessed some not so lucky to get up. Its beyond me how the sunnybank #1 only got penalised and got to finish a full game but the west #1 never returned to the field. If you missed it its on the reds YouTube and its 23min into the game. For a gentlemen's game sunnybank made it look heartless. If it was a fair hit I would have no problems carrying on but it was far from it."
Couldn't agree more with this post.
This point struck me over the weekend when we played Souths Colts. Now this is not a general "bagging" of Souths but an observation. The discipline and knowledge of the games "LAWS" by the players in general was fairly poor. There was constant infringements in the rucks by both colts teams (lying on the ground, not rolling away, diving in from the side, kicking the ball while on the ground). The referee in the Colts 1 game handled it fairly well, but the constant infringements calls into play the responsibility of the coaches to teach the players the "Laws" and the players to respond by putting them into action. Otherwise frustration and more unlawful behaviour becomes the norm.
In Colts 1 Souths were penalised 3-4 times for not being back 10 metres from a penalty. It eventually lead to a yellow card. There was another yellow card (not recorded) for a foul tackle with no arms by one of the reserves. The player (pumped up) once off the field wanted to start something more special, but thankfully the coach/manager cooled him off. In Premier Colts the final penalty of the game, and a shot at goal to win the game, was attempted to be charged down, yes that's right charged down! For mine that is offside marched 10 metres and retake the penalty. But that didn't happen.
The point here is that if the rules aren't reasonably obeyed then the behaviour above will become more prevalent and I don't want that kind of game.

Very narrow minded "private" school attitude. Not every player grows up with rugby and knows the"rule book" inside and out, and coaches only have 2 sessions a week to coach - doesn't leave too much time to sit down and test players on their knowledge of the rule book.
If you watched the Prem Colts you would have seen a certain brothers player (9) challenge sideline supporters from Souths to a fight mid game.

I think you will find in any contact sport - especially with young blokes that emotions run high.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Early top 4 looks like UQ, Brothers, Bond and Bank - not necessarily in that order. Doesn't leave much room for the compass teams (Norths, Souths, Easts & Wests). However of the 4, Souths have the best chance. But major injuries to their glamour boys would hurt.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Very narrow minded "private" school attitude. Not every player grows up with rugby and knows the"rule book" inside and out, and coaches only have 2 sessions a week to coach - doesn't leave too much time to sit down and test players on their knowledge of the rule book.
If you watched the Prem Colts you would have seen a certain brothers player (9) challenge sideline supporters from Souths to a fight mid game.

I think you will find in any contact sport - especially with young blokes that emotions run high.

Well there the rules new recuit_brissy. Sorry if you think I'm narrow minded, maybe I am. At this age you need to know the basics, is all I'm saying and I don't think they do. The Laws are there to protect players and make the game functional. But there is no excuse for players not getting back 10 metres, when they have been penalised 3 times already, it borders on cynical and a professional foul. As did some of the play in Premier Colts in the last 2 minutes of the game.

Yes, the 9 thing probably did happen (didn't see it), but also some Souths players were also of that inclination at some of the Brothers supporters. So nil all draw. Emotions do run high.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Early top 4 looks like UQ, Brothers, Bond and Bank - not necessarily in that order. Doesn't leave much room for the compass teams (Norths, Souths, Easts & Wests). However of the 4, Souths have the best chance. But major injuries to their glamour boys would hurt.

Working there way into the Premier team would also hurt Souths chances.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)

I probably, at this stage, say East with Wests and Souths equal. That said need to see East and Wests at this stage, haven't played them. But from the results so far am willing to go with Easts.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
HTC I hadn't picked up that Sage sees you as a Bond supporter. I see his tips now and you are correct. I think yours are closer to the mark BTW. Here are mine:

Sunnybank by 20
West's by 10
Bond by 7
UQ by 40

The Bank unstoppable once they get a roll on. Easts form fairly ordinary.
GPS lack firepower and Wests have been plucky.
A test for the improving Magpies. Will need big home ground advantage.
Students against the witches hats.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Good for South's. Sorry to hear about Moseley, he played very well for the first game back against Brothers.

Still more work for them to do before they make the top 4, but that's not impossible. Whether they can take the competition out is still a little questionable, but they are making the right noises at the moment.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good for South's. Sorry to hear about Moseley, he played very well for the first game back against Brothers.

Still more work for them to do before they make the top 4, but that's not impossible. Whether they can take the competition out is still a little questionable, but they are making the right noises at the moment.

Yeah agreed they have some work to do to make the 4. If they can stay fit and healthy then they will continue to be a nuisance to other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.