• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2023

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
On the flip side @MoneyBill685 - everyone always arguing that rugby Australia doesn’t do enough to put their game into the public school landscape.

if RA ever attempted to infiltrate the state school system with a new rugby union competition then I think they’d be met with some blowback fron the RL.

I think the future of Rugby union scouting will happen at rugby 7s carnivals.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
On the flip side @MoneyBill685 - everyone always arguing that rugby Australia doesn’t do enough to put their game into the public school landscape.

if Rugby Australia ever attempted to infiltrate the state school system with a new rugby union competition then I think they’d be met with some blowback fron the Rugby League.

I think the future of Rugby union scouting will happen at rugby 7s carnivals.
yeah thats true. i just can't see union being a success in the state school system.

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm not sure what the rules are for colts but yes also saw PJ Sua (Current Terrace 1st xv) playing for easts colts 2 against bond few weeks ago.
It's actually not uncommon for U16 (year 12 boys) to play Senior Colts. However they do need a dispensation to play, especially if playing in the front row. The issue is, and sadly it's a political issue, if some of these boys are playing 1st XV rugby, the schools will prevent them from playing club footy. Which is a shame. I think the more rugby under their belts the better, especially being exposed to playing against a higher age group of boys. The other issue is club and school rugby both play on Saturdays, which again rules out boys who play 1st XV rugby. A common sense approach would be for the boys who play school rugby in term 2, to let them play club in term 3 once the school season is done and visa versa for the GPS schools who play term 2. Unfortunately for GPS, schools don't want to risk having their players injured prior to the season starting.

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
yeah thats true. i just can't see union being a success in the state school system.
But who would have thought the Brisbane AIC schools, traditional rugby schools, would roll out AFL in term 1 and League in term 3? Who thought Nudgee would sign a partnership agreement with the Dolphins? My brother teaches in Logan, and many of the parents of New Zealander and Islander decent he speaks to would love their sons and daughters to play rugby union but there is no opportunity. AFL have aggressively targeted QLD schools with their Aus Kick program and offering to fund AFL programs. RA has been banging on in the media recently about the massive cash windfall they are about to receive in the next 10 years. Well they need to stump up the cash and target regions rich with talent but lack the opportunities to play rugby. And I believe they should be targeting schools in Logan and Western Sydney.

Monsta

Frank Row (1)
Yes I think you're right. I'm pretty close to the rugby league scene and what these league schools like the super 6 Mabel Park, Keebra, Wavel, Ippy state high, PBC, Marsden do is they affiliate themselves with NRL teams so they go straight from school into the nrl system. That is incredibly appealing to boys and parents and something union can't or haven't done. Even second tier schools are affiliating themselves with NRL clubs and academy systems they have in place is mind blowing.

I think that attraction of getting a private school education is definitely not as appealing as it once was. You still see guys doing it e.g Robert Toia, Tory Bath last year at Nudgee but I think that also goes back to Nudgee being more open to affiliating themselves with NRL (dolphins in Nudgee's case).

I guess this all goes back to grassroots for rugby and the lack of playing pool to select from. I know a guy from Churchie who is a scout for them and they've said that when they look to offer scholarships they are only looking at rugby union carnivals now. They don't want any league players. If that's the case, then rugby will never be looking at the best of the best players. We fast forward down the track where it seems that GPS boys are the only ones being selected for super rugby and there lies the problem.
I've been banging on about the GPS system and the win at all costs practice they have for some time. So Churchie NOT taking on contracted league players is music to my ears. I think it's a double negative with the lads from 8As, 9As, 10As being relegated to the 2nds, 3rds in years 11&12 to make way for some league players on scholarships. Some of these rugby oriented lads then give it away due to lack of opportunity and development. I know Padua would love to return to it's rugby league roots as one of the second tier schools and more effort was put into the league program over the union one in recent times. Aside from the weight of staff numbers involved in league at the school there was also a general lack of interest from the rugby union organisations in the AIC rugby union comp. Funniest aspect was that AIC banned GPS coaches and scouts from AIC comps yet seemed to ignore the league scouts, and some AIC schools had formal agreements with some GPS schools NOT to poach - Nudgee were not allowed to take St Pats rugby players but Padua was fair game. I feel the end result is no one does anything for the good of the game at ANY level - junior club, school, senior club, NRC, Reds, BJRU, BRU. Everyone has a self centred agenda.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's actually not uncommon for U16 (year 12 boys) to play Senior Colts. However they do need a dispensation to play, especially if playing in the front row. The issue is, and sadly it's a political issue, if some of these boys are playing 1st XV rugby, the schools will prevent them from playing club footy. Which is a shame. I think the more rugby under their belts the better, especially being exposed to playing against a higher age group of boys. The other issue is club and school rugby both play on Saturdays, which again rules out boys who play 1st XV rugby. A common sense approach would be for the boys who play school rugby in term 2, to let them play club in term 3 once the school season is done and visa versa for the GPS schools who play term 2. Unfortunately for GPS, schools don't want to risk having their players injured prior to the season starting.
both these kids at Bond (Smith & Wildman) are only in year 11 and dont turn 17 until the end of the year. Wildman is the classic case of a kid missing rep selection last year in the Reds 16's purely because he doesnt attend a GPS school. Any kid that can play minutes in 1st grade colts as a 16 year old is certainly good enough to be playing Reds 16's

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I think Brothers will dominate in the 3 colts games today v South’s. Brothers backline seriously good in the 1s. Front row battle will be interesting.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
both these kids at Bond (Smith & Wildman) are only in year 11 and dont turn 17 until the end of the year. Wildman is the classic case of a kid missing rep selection last year in the Reds 16's purely because he doesnt attend a GPS school. Any kid that can play minutes in 1st grade colts as a 16 year old is certainly good enough to be playing Reds 16's
Just a question about the "two year window" of playing under age kids in an Under 20's competition. I thought the two year window was introduced to minimise the risk of serious injury after the tragic injury suffered by Perry Cross.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just a question about the "two year window" of playing under age kids in an Under 20's competition. I thought the two year window was introduced to minimise the risk of serious injury after the tragic injury suffered by Perry Cross.
i believe they have undergone the dispensation procedure and have been deemed suitable to play up.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I think Brothers will dominate in the 3 colts games today v South’s. Brothers backline seriously good in the 1s. Front row battle will be interesting.

Attachments

• 79D61667-B82C-4AD2-89EA-89FE95C2B73B.jpeg
    79D61667-B82C-4AD2-89EA-89FE95C2B73B.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 182

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)

Attachments

• 1F9AA0A2-5AAE-4AD4-9C83-D559FAF6E7E4.jpeg
    1F9AA0A2-5AAE-4AD4-9C83-D559FAF6E7E4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
  • FB10C1DF-03E3-4F61-8D5D-5700AAA2DEC0.jpeg
    FB10C1DF-03E3-4F61-8D5D-5700AAA2DEC0.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 3EB8DE38-8EB5-45C3-B7B6-97EB1DF6A173.jpeg
    3EB8DE38-8EB5-45C3-B7B6-97EB1DF6A173.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 176
  • A992DB3B-C619-4863-AA5B-35011AFEE28C.jpeg
    A992DB3B-C619-4863-AA5B-35011AFEE28C.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 186

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
They certainly dominated Colts 2 and 3. But Colts 1 was an upset considering Souths were touched up by Easts the previous week. The talent Brothers have at their disposal is ridiculous and some of Souths best are playing up in Prems. However Souths came out with purpose and really took it to Brothers. Souths winger Riley Bierton was sensational scoring a try from a set piece in the first half and setting up another with a counter attack deep in his own half. He even charged down a conversion attempt. On the other side, winger Te Oho Totorewa scored 3 and could have possibly scored another if his centre had simply drawn and passed instead of going himself when the line was wide open. For Brothers centres Dre Pekeho and Kadin Prtichard proved a handful for the Souths defence all game. Brothers came home strongly, causing a little stress for the Souths faithful, however time ran out for the visitors.

It's a pity these Colts game aren't live streamed. I think it's a shame that we don't get to see the young talent across the clubs each week. Other codes stream their junior comps, so it's a shame rugby isn't doing the same.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
It's a pity these Colts game aren't live streamed. I think it's a shame that we don't get to see the young talent across the clubs each week. Other codes stream their junior comps, so it's a shame rugby isn't doing the same.

I think it’s more important to stream the woman’s comp before we go streaming colts rugby.

if there’s any colts excelling then they will be in premier grade before too long

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
I think it’s more important to stream the woman’s comp before we go streaming colts rugby.

if there’s any colts excelling then they will be in premier grade before too long
So they are still doing the Womens games on youtube?

Havent seen much promotion for it.