• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS 2023

NukeNoot

Frank Row (1)
I have heard word of this also, heard he's been tearing up for the Burleigh Bears in the Mal Maninga Cup, he definitely seems like a perfect replacement for Jye Gray maybe even more of an impact player with his size, I'm looking forward for the match up against Churchie in round 6 with TSS big centre pair against Churchies!
Yes I agree it will be interesting to see how Dre Pakeho and Billy Tonkin match up as well as Mason King and Frankie Goldsbrough, with all four of them having a huge physical presence on the field with 3/4 of them being returning players will it be too much pressure on the first year player in Billy Tonkin or will he prevail and show his preseason and Mal Meninga cup form.. This will be a game to watch.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
its a 8 game season. Why get so uptight about it all.
Let the kids play and develop and lets look at them after a couple of 25 match seasons.

junglecat

Frank Row (1)
Yes I agree it will be interesting to see how Dre Pakeho and Billy Tonkin match up as well as Mason King and Frankie Goldsbrough, with all four of them having a huge physical presence on the field with 3/4 of them being returning players will it be too much pressure on the first year player in Billy Tonkin or will he prevail and show his preseason and Mal Meninga cup form.. This will be a game to watch.
Mason King should eat Frankie Goldsbrough for breakfast, Mason had a huge year on the wing last year with the leading try scorer for the premiership winning TSS, with his transfer to 13 late in the season and had an imidiate impact, will be interesting to watch but I believe Mason will dominate Frankie in this matchup.

NukeNoot

Frank Row (1)
Mason King should eat Frankie Goldsbrough for breakfast, Mason had a huge year on the wing last year with the leading try scorer for the premiership winning TSS, with his transfer to 13 late in the season and had an imidiate impact, will be interesting to watch but I believe Mason will dominate Frankie in this matchup.
Agreed mate and if Billy Tonkin's preseason form is anything to go by it should be a pretty similar result for him against Dre Pakeho. I'm calling a complete domination and annihilation. I will also be quite keen to see what kind of impact Jack Stockbridge will have this year for TSS as I have heard about his extreme finishing ability and amazing ball skills, should be one of the premier players in the competition after coming all the way from Canberra for rugby alone.

junglecat

Frank Row (1)
Agreed mate and if Billy Tonkin's preseason form is anything to go by it should be a pretty similar result for him against Dre Pakeho. I'm calling a complete domination and annihilation. I will also be quite keen to see what kind of impact Jack Stockbridge will have this year for TSS as I have heard about his extreme finishing ability and amazing ball skills, should be one of the premier players in the competition after coming all the way from Canberra for rugby alone.
This is the first I've heard of Stockbridge, any info?

NukeNoot

Frank Row (1)
This is the first I've heard of Stockbridge, any info?
Mate, you're missing out. He was a standout in Harold Matthews competition (as he's moved from ACT) last year alongside his centre partnership Jace Harold. Whilst he doesn't have the biggest frame ever his pure skills with balls (also a star AFL) player and finishing ability is quite up there with some of the best I have seen from kids his age. Whilst he was a centre I believe he will be moved into wing for his ability in the corner. A great move for TSS would be to also bring in his centre pairing Jace Harold as he is a very robust centre, quite fiery and has an amazing stepping ability which I believe would help out TSS if they were able to bring the pair together as they were unstoppable.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
So by your logic the six nations rugby comp is also of no great relevance.
On the contrary.
Six Nations is one of the pinnacles in rugby. Players work hard to develop their ability to be selected to play at this level. Some work hard for many many years including their schoolboy days.

Schoolboys on the other hand are a low level stepping stone that untold numbers of people get to experience. Not always because they have earnt it either. (read here "daddy bought a ticket")

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
For all you Nudgee fans - keep an eye out for a new play from Vic - Tenia Graham. He played National U16 comp and played a great tournament. Think he was included in TOTW for round one.

Super strong, tough, and has a great Rugby brain. Very sad to lose him from the Vic system, but I know he will do well up there. Great opportunity for him, and nothing but huge admiration for his talent.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For all you Nudgee fans - keep an eye out for a new play from Vic - Tenia Graham. He played National U16 comp and played a great tournament. Think he was included in TOTW for round one.

Super strong, tough, and has a great Rugby brain. Very sad to lose him from the Vic system, but I know he will do well up there. Great opportunity for him, and nothing but huge admiration for his talent.
what position mate?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Word is big unit but at the moment lacks fitness. Competition for back row spots is fierce at NC John Grenfell was the reds U16 no 8 last year.

Hopefully, those 7 am training sessions will help. He is a good play and will go far in the elite mix. THe extra competition from John will certainly motivate him.

Footy Frederick

Frank Row (1)
Good morning over there I assume it would be in Australia.
As the season is approaching I've had several big colleges and universities contact me about their interest in Australian schoolboy rugby. Maybe its because of the great pathway for these boys to continue their rugby futures as for most come to an abrupt end after high school. With this in mind, I have little to no names to look out for in the GPS competition and was hoping some patrons could field me school's projected line ups and stand out players. Im already aware of a few big names, but every college in America can't offer players like Robinson (GT) and why I need to expand my talent vision.

Appreciate any information,
Footy Frederick

ladiesman77

Frank Row (1)
Good morning over there I assume it would be in Australia.
As the season is approaching I've had several big colleges and universities contact me about their interest in Australian schoolboy rugby. Maybe its because of the great pathway for these boys to continue their rugby futures as for most come to an abrupt end after high school. With this in mind, I have little to no names to look out for in the GPS competition and was hoping some patrons could field me school's projected line ups and stand out players. Im already aware of a few big names, but every college in America can't offer players like Robinson (GT) and why I need to expand my talent vision.

Appreciate any information,
Footy Frederick
Suggested stand out players from a few schools:

Nudgee:
- Marcarius Pereira (Prop)
- Princeton Ioane (Prop - pretty sure he's still only 15)
- Charlie O'Connell (10/15)
- Jimmy Duggan (currently wing)

TSS
- Billy Wellard (7)
- Amare Milford (6/8)

TGS
- Ewald Kruger (hooker)
- Trace Beattie (outside back - new to TGS)
- George Griffiths (lock/8)

Churchie
- Frankie Goldsborough (centre)
- Emil Willie-Jawai (Prop)
- Jye Crothers (6/8)

IGS
- Alex Schumacher (Prop - if he can get his leg right)
- Oscar Affleck (lock/flanker)
- Nathan Fraser (9)

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Stan Wickham (3)
Suggested stand out players from a few schools:

Nudgee:
- Marcarius Pereira (Prop)
- Princeton Ioane (Prop - pretty sure he's still only 15)
- Charlie O'Connell (10/15)
- Jimmy Duggan (currently wing)

TSS
- Billy Wellard (7)
- Amare Milford (6/8)

TGS
- Ewald Kruger (hooker)
- Trace Beattie (outside back - new to TGS)
- George Griffiths (lock/8)

Churchie
- Frankie Goldsborough (centre)
- Emil Willie-Jawai (Prop)
- Jye Crothers (6/8)

IGS
- Alex Schumacher (Prop - if he can get his leg right)
- Oscar Affleck (lock/flanker)
- Nathan Fraser (9)
To add to the names mentioned above, expect the following players to also make an impact:

ACGS:
C Johnson
D Fifita
J Stoddart
H Solofa

BBC:
A Thompson
C Ray
D Colaivalu

BGS:
W Pascoe
Z Reader