• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good to see the GT program moving forward . But I fear for the comp. GT on the up but still more than a few steps behind .. Look at the A results . BBC the big moves and Churchie will be strong next year. But massive questions over state high TGS and ippy . Look at the 16a results
The gt 13 and 14 as will finish 2nd/3rd. 15s and 16s are up there as well

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
BGS went to uncontested scrum in the first half, no. 3 got injured, they ran on a prop (17) and changed their mind, swapping him for a back rower. How embarrassing for BGS unable to pack a scrum in GPS 1st 15. It definitely leveled the playing field, BBC were starting to get dominance in the scrum- also meant that BGS ran four back-rowers for the rest of the game.
Unbelievable in GPS 1st, that a school can't pack a scrum.

This is wrong. Tighthead prop Stuart McReight went down with a concussion and was about to be replaced with 16As player Lucas Ryles. Then he was switched with Tom Spencer (playing at blindside) instead. Tom Spencer has been playing front row all year. This is the first match he's played in the back row. Lakehm Aiono's move to the front forced Tom to switch to flanker. Grammar didn't pack down a loosie at prop. They packed down a prop at prop.

That being said, today's display was the most disgraceful I've seen from a Grammar side in 4 years. It felt like 2009 again. Matt Marsden, who in my opinion was the outstanding outside back in GPS 2012, touched the ball about 4 times in the whole match. Players would run and back themselves when marked by two or more defenders instead of passing to an unmarked Marsden right beside them. He is the third fastest athlete in the school. Every single time he touches the ball he either beats the gain line or puts another player into space. He did this at fly-half in the trial against IGS/BBC. Tackles were missed across the park. Really missing Patty Morrey.

Time for some major changes. Nothing to lose now. BGS need to desperately restore some pride.

Forward pack unchanged. Would like to see Ferg Baker return from the 2nd XV. A gutsy player like him is exactly what this team needs.

9. Dan Forsyth
10. Matt Marsden- the more Marsden touches the ball, the better.
11. Zac Laud/Tom Sly/Eddie McCorley- have Aiono and Cox run at them each for an hour straight and whoever makes the most tackles gets the spot.
12. Cameron Griffin- pity he's been injured til recently, Griffo has been a revelation in the 12 jersey
13. Lachlan Lanskey- a solitary shining light all season
14. Tom Branch- 2nd XV. Only player from the 1sts/2nds squad to consistently make his tackles all season. He also consistently breaks the line. Branch has pace, can tackle, goes hard. Give him a shot.
15. Fergus Halliday- can kick and offer direction, swapping into first receiver at will. Lifelong playing partnership with Marsden through club and school should mean this wouldn't be too difficult.

Experimental, yes. Overhaul, yes. But something needs to be done.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
etc etc

Experimental, yes. Overhaul, yes. But something needs to be done.
Nevertheless to go to uncontested scrums halfway through the first half is a total capitulation. All teams are supposes to have a whole front row on the reserve bench. So BGS put an experience prop replacement in the front row and still demanded uncontested scrums?... seriously!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Can someone explain what has happened to BGS rugby this year.

What was the game plan against BBC First XV. :mad:

The rugby program has been put back 5 years:cool:

Wouldn't surprise me if there are 15 new students in year 10 next year.

I'll have a crack at this year..

Round 1 - Nudgee

Grammar were well on top before halftime, but just on the stroke Nudgee scored an intercept try, which sparked a comeback. The game had been dry previously, but started to rain in the second half which played in to the hands of Nudgee's significantly bigger forwards.

Injuries: Lakehm Aiono, Cameron Griffin

1 point loss.

Round 2 - State High

Grammar were outdone by State High's backline, who were killing us out wide. After trailing the entire game, Grammar clawed it's way back to win by a penalty goal in extra time.

Injuries: Pat Morrey, Matt Marsden

Round 3 - Toowoomba

Grammar gave away 25 turnovers during the game, and didn't play particularly well with the ball either. The Red Hill Special School 14D's could have won this game against Grammar. Players did not turn up to play, and probably assumed Toowoomba would be easy beats. Didn't turn out to be the case, and Grammar's hubris bit them on the ass.

Round 5 - Ipswich

Ipswich were off the back of 3 losses on a row. Captain and star 13. Landon Hayes was injured. Lakehm Aiono and Matt Marsden were back. It was a dry day, and everything was looking good for BGS. Then Carlin Anderson, AJ Raeli and Ethan Page ran riot, and I counted 10 linebreaks on the game for Ipswich. That being said, Grammar outscored them 4 tries to 3. Kicker Zach Laud only got one conversion from 4 for Grammar, missing some tough kicks on the very windy day, but also missing one from right in front that would have allowed Grammar to kick a penalty to win the game instead of needing a try. Grammar was given plenty of kickable penalties, but couldnt take them due to time pressure

Round 6 - BBC

Coach Damon Emtage was admitted to hospital late last night. I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to say why, but I don't expect him to be away for much longer. Emtage is a brilliant strategist, and I'm certain the team missed his halftime analysis and gameplan revisions.

BBC were just too damn fast. I'll go into it in more detail in the match report (which is scheduled for publishing monday morning), but every time BBC went wide the defence was stretched to the absolute limit, and every tackle needed to be made or else BBC would take it to the house. When Bowyer, Russell, or Quick took it to the line they simply outran their opposite numbers, forcing the wings to come in to make a tackle, and opening up space out wide. Matt Marsden was the unfortunate victim of this, as Sam Edwards spent the whole game sprinting down the left hand side. McLean scored with just about every touch, burning his opposite wing and 2 or 3 cover defenders each run. BBC knocked on over the line two or 3 times in addition to the gazillion and a half tries they scored.

Injuries: Yet to be confirmed, Trey Kemp looked seriously hurt as he was carried off the field, Stuart McReight and Lachi Lansky with possible concussions.

I think that's a fairly accurate season wrap. Comprehensively beaten by Toowoomba due to turnovers, and BBC due to speed and athleticism.

Lost some close games due to the elements, Nudgee due to rain, Ipswich due to wind.

And 1 lone win against State High. It'll be a long road home from here on out

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Nevertheless to go to uncontested scrums halfway through the first half is a total capitulation. All teams are supposes to have a whole front row on the reserve bench. So BGS put an experience prop replacement in the front row and still demanded uncontested scrums?. seriously!

Stop being a dickhead. Injuries have plagued Grammar all year. It happens. BBC won, BGS lost. Big deal.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Agree on Grammar. Sitting on Miskin hill I just couldn't believe the game plan. Matt Marsden has deadly acceleration and pace and they just didn't have the plan to get it to him. Every time he touched the ball he was mobbed by Quick et al, no chance. It was like Folau and the Wallabies -_-

BBC backline was well devastating when they got the ball and it happened quite a lot. I actually thought they just stopped playing properly for a good 20 mins in the second half.

Did anyone else see the last try? That was ridiculous. Something like three 1% offloads, one of which flew a good 10m ends with Mclean going in.

I thought Grammar had the resources to make it a close game but didn't utilize them effectively. Also I'm 4/4 tips this week!

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Stop being a dickhead. Injuries have plagued Grammar all year. It happens. BBC won, BGS lost. Big deal.
Sorry Bud, every team has to have a full front row on the bench. You just got through telling us how BGS put an experience prop in to replace the 3 and still went to uncontested scrums after one prop leaves the field - totally against the spirit of the game. Against who? The BBC front row couldn't even make a GPS rep team.
... perhaps next time they could play 'tipsies'.

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
Sorry Bud, every team has to have a full front row on the bench. You just got through telling us how BGS put an experience prop in to replace the 3 and still went to uncontested scrums after one prop leaves the field - totally against the spirit of the game. Against who? The BBC front row couldn't even make a GPS rep team.
. perhaps next time they could play 'tipsies'.

The reality is where Churchie's scrum unravelled against BBC a couple of weeks ago they lost a prop but kept fighting it out. Unfortunately BGS chose a different way out of their problem. Grammar's scrum was a shambles from the first scrum.

Reading the program I note the BBC scrum tipped the scales at 800kg.

Benroy Sala played Chairman's XV this year and was Aust U17 Merit selection in 2012. Bronson Tuakipulu played hooker in GPS3 and Luke Peterson played Qld U16 in 2011. They are not without skills as they showed against ACGS. The inclusion of Gunter at 8 and moving Tuakipulu to 2 makes the BBC pack more formidable.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can someone explain what has happened to BGS rugby this year.

What was the game plan against BBC First XV. :mad:

The rugby program has been put back 5 years:cool:

Wouldn't surprise me if there are 15 new students in year 10 next year.

BGS rugby last year was at an all new unprecedented level.

The talent in that team was insane, with the luxury of a superstar kicker who was deadly anywhere near the posts. They played as a team and worked together knowing that their game plans were good enough to topple anyone in the competition. This year is the hangover, they have suffered significant injuries and simply are unable to back it up. It is not a case of those around them getting better.

The only school that consistently challenges for the GPS title is Nudgee, the rest go through ebbs and flows. In some cases, it can be years between premierships successes (ACGS, GT, TSS, BSHS), others it can be decades (BBC, TGS, BGS, IGS).

I fear we won't see BGS at the top again in the next 3 years minimum. Anything further than that is pure speculation, but that is what the results so far this year suggest.

I'd be more worried if I was in BBC shoes, they really emphasised this year as their premiership opportunity but were not unable to beat a spirited Terrace side or a solid NC side that stuck to the basics. As a result, NC now have one hand on the title and even though they aren't the same star-studded side we have seen in years gone by, they will get there.

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)

The talent in that team was insane, with the luxury of a superstar kicker who was deadly anywhere near the posts. They played as a team and worked together knowing that their game plans were good enough to topple anyone in the competition. This year is the hangover, they have suffered significant injuries and simply are unable to back it up. It is not a case of those around them getting better.

The only school that consistently challenges for the GPS title is Nudgee, the rest go through ebbs and flows. In some cases, it can be years between premierships successes (ACGS, GT, TSS, BSHS), others it can be decades (BBC, TGS, BGS, IGS).

I fear we won't see BGS at the top again in the next 3 years minimum. Anything further than that is pure speculation, but that is what the results so far this year suggest.

I'd be more worried if I was in BBC shoes, they really emphasised this year as their premiership opportunity but were not unable to beat a spirited Terrace side or a solid NC side that stuck to the basics. As a result, NC now have one hand on the title and even though they aren't the same star-studded side we have seen in years gone by, they will get there.
Couldn't agree more light. In regards to bgs 2012...id argue that without Sam Greene nudgee would've taken the premiership. I'm very confident that nudgee will finish the season with class and take their 40th premiership. More interested in seeing how the fight for 2nd and 3rd goes

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)

"I'd be more worried if I was in BBC shoes, they really emphasised this year as their premiership opportunity but were not unable to beat a spirited Terrace side or a solid NC side that stuck to the basics."

On the contrary, I don't think BBC should be worried at this point.
In the last couple of seasons they have taken huge steps in improving their rugby program (and please I don't want to get into a debate about the ethical issues of scholarships, imports etc on this forum).
These steps seem to be aimed at changing the College teams from very consistent "cellar dwellers" in all age groups and instead making them competitive to the point that they can realistically aim for top 4 finishes.
As we have seen over the last couple of seasons, the level of disparity among the GPS teams has decreased to the point that any schools who have the talent to aim for the top half of the table, can and should challenge for the premiership. Finishing 2nd, 3rd or even 4th in the competition is still no mean feat.
Of course schools can have off-years, bad games, and weak age groups, but if BBC continue their commitment to their rugby program they will continue to see good results.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Nevertheless to go to uncontested scrums halfway through the first half is a total capitulation. All teams are supposes to have a whole front row on the reserve bench. So BGS put an experience prop replacement in the front row and still demanded uncontested scrums?. seriously!
I

I agree . BBC were leading 27- nil and looked like scoring every time they touched the ball and the BGS prop gets injured and they go to uncontested scrums in a 1st xv match.? The complexion of the match changed from then on

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Today I thought that I would watch 2 of the up and coming teams in GPS rugby, the 15 and 14 A's at Toowong and let me tell you that the quality was first class but the referee's were shocking! Not really for the 15 A's but for the 14 B's and 14 A's. For the B's game there were 3 yellow cards for nothing but solid rugby. And in the A's game there was a point where there were 7 scrums in a row for 1. pushing more than 1.5 metres 2. wheeling the scrum more than 45 degrees! After the 3rd scrum the ref should have called a penalty. After this ridiculous play 1 of the front rowers went off injured. This is a disgrace! These kid's are only 14!
Yes that BBC 14A team is fun too watch . They never kick the back themselves to run from anywhere. The big prop is the son of the owner of a famous " watering hole" around paddo

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Agree on Grammar. Sitting on Miskin hill I just couldn't believe the game plan. Matt Marsden has deadly acceleration and pace and they just didn't have the plan to get it to him. Every time he touched the ball he was mobbed by Quick et al, no chance. It was like Folau and the Wallabies -_-

BBC backline was well devastating when they got the ball and it happened quite a lot. I actually thought they just stopped playing properly for a good 20 mins in the second half.

Did anyone else see the last try? That was ridiculous. Something like three 1% offloads, one of which flew a good 10m ends with Mclean going in.

I thought Grammar had the resources to make it a close game but didn't utilize them effectively. Also I'm 4/4 tips this week!

The last try looked like a Sonny Bill Williams off load clinic. Was it 3 pr 4 back of hand passes. ?

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Hey Digby. Final score BBC 46 d BGS 17. When did Noel win the GPS Open 100m. It has never happened. He won the U16 GPS 100m in 2011.

I agree he added the x factor. He runs like a winger. The reason why he scores is because he's fast, yes but because he knows how to finish. The last two tries were on his wing. He was caught out of position.

Dear Mr Flanker. The word"open " does not appear in Digbys post . He correctly says win "the GPS 100 again" but he will win the open 100 if he runs the same time as he did last week at T&c carnival

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)

Mr Light . I have really enjoyed reading your posts over the last couple of weeks but you got this wrong.BBC worried. Not at all. They have 11 ( eleven ) boys back next year and an undefeated15A team . 3 of that 15A team will go straight into 1sts next year. BBC never expected to go close to winning a premiership this year. Phillpotts has a 3 year plan . That is for 2015 when Gunter and Wilkins( already in 1sts) link up with the undefeated15A team in grade 12 when after 106 years they will finally have sufficient depth for 2 players in every 1st xv position. BTW the BBC gameplan against BGS yesterday had Phillpotts fingerprints all over it.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
The reality is where Churchie's scrum unravelled against BBC a couple of weeks ago they lost a prop but kept fighting it out. Unfortunately BGS chose a different way out of their problem. Grammar's scrum was a shambles from the first scrum.

Benroy Sala played Chairman's XV this year and was Aust U17 Merit selection in 2012. Bronson Tuakipulu played hooker in GPS3 and Luke Peterson played Qld U16 in 2011. They are not without skills as they showed against ACGS. The inclusion of Gunter at 8 and moving Tuakipulu to 2 makes the BBC pack more formidable.
Totally against the spirit of the game- the coaches are not supposed to go uncontested unless there are no trained front rowers present. BGS clearly abused, what is supposed to be a safety 'last' option, for a tactical advantage.
Yes, Sala played Chairman's XV this year and Tuakipulu GPS 3 hooker. Peterson was u15 (QLD) in 2011 but this is his first year in the front row at any level. So the GPS selectors rated no BBC prop in their first 3 GPS teams and Taukipulu as their 3rd hooker- apparently they have been working on their scrummaging.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Mr Light . I have really enjoyed reading your posts over the last couple of weeks but you got this wrong.BBC worried. Not at all. They have 11 ( eleven ) boys back next year and an undefeated15A team . 3 of that 15A team will go straight into 1sts next year. BBC never expected to go close to winning a premiership this year. Phillpotts has a 3 year plan . That is for 2015 when Gunter and Wilkins( already in 1sts) link up with the undefeated15A team in grade 12 when afte 106 years they will finally have sufficient depth for 2 players in every 1st xv position. BTW the BBC gameplan against BGS yesterday had Phillpotts fingerprints all over it.
Interesting- both BGS and BBC on a rebuild year this year. That must be scary for BGS- having their lunch eaten by a young BBC team.
2014 is looking impressive for BBC- who are the 11 that have another year in the 1st's?

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)

I heard a rumor that the BBC front row made the ACGS front row carry their bags from the change-room and wait on them at the after game function!!

No doubt, if ACGS had gone 'uncontested' against BBC they would have won an otherwise very close game- but they 'manned up' and played real rugby.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Totally against the spirit of the game- the coaches are not supposed to go uncontested unless there are no trained front rowers present. BGS clearly abused, what is supposed to be a safety 'last' option, for a tactical advantage.
Yes, Sala played Chairman's XV this year and Tuakipulu GPS 3 hooker. Peterson was u15 (QLD) in 2011 but this is his first year in the front row at any level. So the GPS selectors rated no BBC prop in their first 3 GPS teams and Taukipulu as their 3rd hooker- apparently they have been working on their scrummaging.
Actually , you are correct. 27- nil at halftime becomes a 19-17 2nd half. I was right behind The BGS coaches and they were going to run a prop on and then they talk to lines women and run a flanker on and call for uncontested scrums. I have never seen uncontested scrums in a 1st xv match

Status
Not open for further replies.