• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBlackRed

Frank Row (1)
I think undeniably though the absolute best case scenario would be a GT vs Nudgee 'Grand Final' in the final round. That would truly be one for the ages.
Traditionally a poor Terrace vs Nudgee game attracts at least 8000 in an average season every year. In 2004 about 13000 packed out Tennyson. Easily one of the biggest rivalries in Australian schoolboy sport. GT's last premiership season (2004) was the last time they came close with a draw I believe. For this to be a potential premiership decider would be massive!!

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm taking Gregory Terrace to beat BGS by 45. The big screen replays won't be pretty for the Grammar boys at Terrace.

Nudgee should beat Churchie in a canter, but only by 20 points. They haven't shown huge attacking firepower yet, and I don't think they'll show it against Churchie. 30-8 sounds about right.

Now on to the exciting games.

Toowoomba should get it done against Ipswich, but by the skin of their teeth. It sounds like Toowoomba go through patches of exceptional play, tempered by poor, uncohesive play. I think their destiny is a mid table finish, and that will begin to unfold with a 3-pt win over IGS.

Game of the Round: BSHS to come back hard against BBC. BSHS' back three were exceptional against Ipswich in the second half, while the tight five played very well also. Given BBC's struggles up front, BSHS should win this match by 6-10 points, Ikitau be damned.

When are BBCs 2 Aussie reps ( Farrell /Simpson)back ?They need both to beat BSHS .
From what I saw in the footage they really miss :
-Simpsons defence;
-Farrell's ball running(and mongrel)

Darvo

Peter Burge (5)
Traditionally a poor Terrace vs Nudgee game attracts at least 8000 in an average season every year. In 2004 about 13000 packed out Tennyson. Easily one of the biggest rivalries in Australian schoolboy sport. GT's last premiership season (2004) was the last time they came close with a draw I believe. For this to be a potential premiership decider would be massive!!

Bring back spectator alcohol for another teacher/parent brawl.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
When are BBCs 2 Aussie reps ( Farrell /Simpson)back ?They need both to beat BSHS .
From what I saw in the footage they really miss :
-Simpsons defence;
-Farrell's ball running(and mongrel)

I read the BBC vulnerability very differently and suggest you watch it again. Both the BBC forwards and backs were solid in attack - it was when they went one out and isolated themselves they turned the ball over to the superior NC loose forwards - I imagine against BSHS and GT this will be even more exposed.

Yes they could benefit by the return of Farrell (his brother and Gunter they miss more as their hookers were great except line out throws at times. Just the one wing they have a defensive issue on apart from that but attack is very strong.

BSHS will be very tough but a lot of you have attributed grit to luck, you make luck it just doesn't make itself and against TSS they were very unlucky.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Maybe but I would say the 'Spirit' in this BBC team may take it further than all the hyped 'Talent' of the previous 3 or 4 teams.

I think it has been well documented that while the NC XV is a good side it lacks the talent and size we are used to seeing in B&W Butcher stripes - I'll say it now, while not impossible to think they win one of the games, I really don't see them beating BSHS, TSS or GT.

That could also be said about the other three teams as well. Rugby can be a strange game, particularly GPS first xv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Round 6 Predictions

NC def ACGS - easy game for Nudgee should win by at least 25.

BSHS def BBC - game of the round, could go either way, BSHS might want it more in the end.

BGS def GT - easy game for the boys in blue, GT has gotten lucky so far and will have their asses handed to them by BGS. Number 10 and 14 seem to be all talk.

IGS def TGS - extremely close game, TGS having being unlucky so far and IGS showing a strong performance against State High should be a good game.
Was your BGS tip a joke?

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
GT v's BGS: Easy win for the Terrace lads. They will go all way and the premiership will be decided when they play BBC. Terrace by 30+
ACGS v's NC: NC by a nose. This will be a lot closer than people think. ACGS have scored equal tries to IGS and TGS, but cannot kick a goal to save themselves. NC by 2.
IGS v's TGS: TGS the most unlucky team in the comp, not likely. Overrated in attack and defense. IGS to win by 20+
BSHS v's BBC: BSHS to struggle for the rest of the season and will be lucky to win another game. BBC to dominate in the forwards and stifle the running back three of BSHS. BBC by 15+

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
GT v's BGS: Easy win for the Terrace lads. They will go all way and the premiership will be decided when they play BBC. Terrace by 30+
ACGS v's NC: NC by a nose. This will be a lot closer than people think. ACGS have scored equal tries to IGS and TGS, but cannot kick a goal to save themselves. NC by 2.
IGS v's TGS: TGS the most unlucky team in the comp, not likely. Overrated in attack and defense. IGS to win by 20+
BSHS v's BBC: BSHS to struggle for the rest of the season and will be lucky to win another game. BBC to dominate in the forwards and stifle the running back three of BSHS. BBC by 15+

William,
I don't share your man love for Churchie. They won by a try over Grammar and Nudgee whooped Grammar by 30.
However I do agree with you that Ippy are very, very good and will account for T-ba.
And as usual the outcome of BBC vs State High will depend on which State High team actually turns up on Saturday.
And if Grammar beats Terrace on Saturday I'll buy every team member a Ferrari.

mgkent60

Frank Row (1)
Question for the refereeing fraternity out there.
Is a quick kick off allowed with a different ball?
My thought is no, as the team kicking off gained a material advantage.

Nothing against kicking off with a different ball after a try or penalty - see Rule 13 of World Rugby Laws of the Game. Happens quite regularly in Super Rugby and Test where a ball is place at halfway i preparation for the restart whilst a conversion is being attempted.

The rule requiring use of the same ball applies to conversions after a try (Rule 9.B.1(a)) and a shot at goal from a penalty (Rule 21.3(c)). Note that a different ball can be used in these cases if the referee considers the ball that had been in play to be defective.

mgkent60

Frank Row (1)
Congrats on a fair summary.I thinked Nudgee panicked at the end and will regret missing that kick in front.although the last penalty nudgee got was dubious head high when boy slipped. Any one know why BBC do not throw to number 5?
He is tallest player in comp and by my count they lost 5 of their own lineouts throwing to back of lineout.
I agree with you BBC looked fitter and bench had a huge impact for 2 nd week in a row- changed the match.especially the number 7 from the 2nds - 2 turnovers and caught own kickoff in 10 minutes.

Sorry Digby 2016 but referees have no discretion with tackles where contact by the tackler is high chest and up. A penalty every day of the week. Does not matter if the player is slipping or not - point of contact by the tackler is the determining factor.

Fortunately BBC showed great character to come back and win.

(Exclaimer: I am not a BBC old boy - actually NC and GT.)

Rugbyrugby1

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone know what happened to liam richman and james crackett? Quite good players for the nudgee 16a's? Are they injured this year?

Webbodactyl

Stan Wickham (3)
Tips for Round 6

GT vs BGS: Should be a comfortable win for the Terrace lads, too much quality through the backline carried by their Australian Schoolboys with their back row to dominate, especially that number 8. GT by 30.

ACGS vs NC: Churchie parents will start the day by paying the Nudgee boys to clean their BMW's but they won't be the only thing getting swept in East Brisbane. Nudgee to overpower an early Churchie resistance before running away with the game in the second half, as well as the keys to those cars. NC by 20

BSHS vs BBC: Both teams finished last week with all the momentum however it was only the boys in green who came away with the chocolates. The emotion from that game, as well as the class of number 13, should be enough to see the straw hats sneak home in yet another thriller as State High rue a golden chance missed. BBC by 3

IGS vs TGS: The boys from the west meet the boys from even further west in what should be another close game. Ippy proved last week they have the quality to go with the best meanwhile Woomba finally got on the board. IGS will have to get away to a good start, if not TGS will run over the top of them to head back up the range on a streak. TGS by 8

Status
Not open for further replies.