• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

S

Sgt Slaughter

Really good point . You could have 3 or 4 “ studs” in your backline that are superficially pleasing and the best Prop in the age group but may not get much of a look in elsewhere because you’ve got your “quota” ( unofficial ) and a seeming policy of diversity for flag flying sake in non core pockets to fight the Evil Empire ( League ) predominates

Meanwhile you run the risk of disenfranchising what’s already under your nose and you don’t get the highest and best possible level if competition from which to choose - so ultimately , the game suffers

Agree 100%

G

GingerBreadCrab

^ Tony was heading up the Academy set up at the Reds because he already had a contract with the Reds from 2018.
Ryan has coached in the Qld pathways for some time and has experience in an Academy type set up. You think this should change just because he is now coaching at GT?

Have a little respect for boys who get to wear a Qld jersey, don't belittle it because you don't like it , makes you look cheap , not the jersey.

GT don't need to worry about advertising for enrolments , has been FULL for some time now , did you see last years OP results?
That’s a strawman Nomad, you’re a better debater than that.
Nothing I said cheapens the QLD Jersey. In fact, GT parachuting players in and saturating selections does.
I do find it off-colour that GT have turned their back on the pathway they are supposed to be supporting in order to claim more Queensland Schoolboy Representatives. Queensland Schoolboys should be filled with talent that ISN’T from a GPS team. It should be filled with players who come from far and wide, exhibit talent and represent what it means to be a true Queenslander. From there, they can be chosen to be included in the Queensland 18’s if they are deemed good enough.
The fact is that the Queensland 18’s IS a higher representative honour than Queensland Schoolboys now, and it appears that will be the case going forward.
If GT want to be taken seriously as a rugby program they need to stop pulling shenanigans like last year where boys leave mid-season, start promoting pathways they are supposed to be promoting and stop taking the easy option.
Their results have been terrible for the amount of resources they have poured into the game in the last few years and they’re trying to play catch-up.
I don’t mention names because I don’t go for the man, I go for the ball. The QRU are making all kinds of bizarre decisions surrounding the 18’s and I know that they are the wrong ones.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
On that pretence the teams should be named QLD GPS and QLD Country. Why not play these two teams off to see who gets the edge. Or better still send both teams off to Riverview, named accordingly. Simple solution.

G

GingerBreadCrab

On that pretence the teams should be named QLD GPS and QLD Country. Why not play these two teams off to see who gets the edge. Or better still send both teams off to Riverview, named accordingly. Simple solution.

Not a bad idea RR. I do like the idea of those from the Country getting the opportunity to play with GPS boys though. As we all know, the calibre of player around you can raise your own standards too. I’m not a massive supporter of how this is set up at the moment, I just know how it works. And I don’t have the power to change anything!

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ Reds U18s play Rebels U18s in Melbourne on Sunday June 30th, they are in camp the week leading up to the game here in Brisbane. Imagine they will leave naming the team until closer to then.

They play Waratahs U18's late Sept up here with the Australian U18's then announced.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
A few people at Jeeps today said Miami State High. Is that a league school? Both Clancy Doe and his younger brother at BGS. Clancy not playing rugby for the school this year.