• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
UJ made some poor errors when he came on, taking off Brandon was a mistake, as was not taking the 3 points for the draw.

Good game though, as usuall between the two sides.

Jarrad Buttler and Toby White were immense for Easts.

sunnysideup

Frank Nicholson (4)
GPS put 28 points on Norths an also got a bonus point for 4 tries and apparently the Breakers got up in the battle of the coasts 29-15. A good turnaround so I'm told as the Stingrays pumped them in a trial only two weeks ago.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Great result for GPS who are the competition favorites with daylight second.
Souths made a big call canceling the games today as the wet weather would have aided them and Sunnybank will have their stars back in July.
Congratulations to Brothers and Matt Kaye but it is a worrying that the lions share of our next generation of academy players hav not cut he mustard at Easts.
Great to see the Gold Coast ignore the financial environment. We need both coasts to be strong and not be a feeding bowl for clubs that can't develop their own talent.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Easts academy players not cutting the mustard? Okay mate let's come back to that statement at the end of the season.

And GPS favourites by a mile, really? Havent you heard of Uni and Sunnybank?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
tigerland, GPS gave both those teams a decent touch up in pre season and played them without most of these new 'stars' that have joined this season. When a team has to put their 2011 captain and arguably best forward Jonno Ellis into reggies today to accomodate players then you know there is some depth.

sunnysideup

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not sure if preseason is an accurate gauge as the Breakers were able to turn the form guide on its head by beating a side who had thumped them only a couple of weeks prior in a trial. Early days but GPS are looking a strong bet, not sure there is enough in the Bank's forwards to see them as dominant as they were last year. Still think Easts are a good chance this season but time is needed for their combinations to gel. Uni will be there at the business end and Brothers are another whose trial form has not been reflected in how they went today.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agreed, trials are nothing really to go by. My point rather should have been that GPS were consistant all through the trials with their wins and then started today on that same note with a win. Its a positive sign looking forward for the club.

No doubt Uni, Sunnybank, Brothers and probably Easts will be tough this year as always.

Anyone know what happens to the games cancelled today? Will they play them on maybe a weeknight or make them worth double points when the teams meet in the next round?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Watched the GPS/Norths game which GPS won 28/17 (4 tries bonus point), although for a large part of the game Norths were only 4 points behind and accounted for themselves very well. Norths will pull a few surprises this season.
Their halfback was into everytihing, while the GPS halfback was very sterio in only passing out & was caught or often had his ball stolen. Samo had a good game at stages, scoring the first try from the 50 metre line. With his hair style he was by far & away the biggest player onthe field. Without him GPS might have struggled for that win. The other stand out players for GPS were their wingers, Todd Winkley who bagged two tries, the last 5 minutes from full time when he ran half the field through what seemed almost the entire Norths team having their only lapse of the afternoon, & Byron Roberts, showing plenty of commitment & good speed, running through plenty of tackles.
An impartial Kiwi mate with me was very surprised at the high quality of the passing & standard of the game considering the wet conditions.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well I let the side down! It was pouring down here and Albert park has no covered grandstand. So I'm afraid I woosed out and stayed in the comfort of my home instead of watching a great win for the mighty Breakers. What can I say I'm old and soft.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Happy Jack really!!!!!
Was at the game and I just don't know where you are coming from.
Really hate to say this but the big focus should be on getting our ref's up to standard.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Easts fell away a bit without the direction and experience of Matt Brandon at flyhalf and to be fair UJ has not spent a lot of time with the team. Brothers deserved their win yesterday but the result could very easily have been the opposite. This is a very young Tigers side that will get better as the season progresses. Guys like Butler, Enever and Stolberg will be ones to watch.

Should also add that there were a couple of youngsters at Brothers like Beachamp and Sanday who will be worth keeping an eye on as well, and Daruda made a difference when he got on the park yesterday.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Wow, nice pick up for the Filth. Does he not have a pro contract anywhere atm? He has unfulfilled potential that lad.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Speccy do you have any info on Pettowa Parraka (?) the loosehead for Easts yesterday. I hadn't heard of him before, someone said he was only 19.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Did I read yesterday that Daruda just came off contract in Japan, and the Reds had him and Rex Tapuai down at Ballymore during the week as potential backups for the main Reds squad?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Speccy do you have any info on Pettowa Parraka (?) the loosehead for Easts yesterday. I hadn't heard of him before, someone said he was only 19.
PNG lad who was at TSS last year, so yeah, still a teenager T12. Made OZ schools and played ok from what I saw on the TV.

Not very tall but a massive bloke who might already be 115kg plus, and I've heard he is close to the strongest in the Academy regarding weights.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Matt went off and was icing his hammy, not sure if it wasn't forced. Maybe just a twinge...

UJ did make some howlers though.

Brando hurt himself in the warm up. Probe shouldn't have even played. But uj is still learning and without krelle lack a prEm grade standard 10.

Let's hope it's not a bad injury and he didn't make it worse sat night.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Happy Jack really!!!!!
Was at the game and I just don't know where you are coming from.
Really hate to say this but the big focus should be on getting our ref's up to standard.

Didn't see the game but the quality of recruitment should have favored Easts. Also the trend of the thread has heavily favored an Easts win over Brothers.
Academy players are semi-professional and should perform at a level better than the amateur grunters Brothers fielded.
Again, well done Brothers!

Status
Not open for further replies.