• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
All second hand from me... but apparently the Prems coach isn't well liked & he also decided to have a bit of a clear out last seasons end & had hoped to attract some talent from elsewhere that didn't come off. But I heard all this through the rumour mill. Add to that the premature leaving of the experienced Mafi Kefu just before Easter & the loss of the very talented Muirhead at fullback to Sydney mid season & the lower grades start to stretch thin.
Absolutely ludicrous if what you say about Doubles is true TT. Doubles is the quintessential club man, he's been there since I was a junior (And that was a long long time ago!). Something must have gone down if true. :(

Penguin - I wonder who they were looking to bring in & why it never came off? Poaching from other Bris clubs or interstate/ oversees?

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Was Codey playing for Souths when he got sent off in the RWC87 playoff?

What Brisbane clubs did Codey play for? I thought he played somewhere else before joining Souths - was it GPS?
I think he was at Jeeps when he got sent TT and had been there for a few years.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. He played for GPS (was my colts coach with Batts there in 92) but I reckon he moved on as a player from GPS by 87. Sent off one test, skipper the next. That's gotta be pretty bloody unique.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Penguin & SSJumbo - I agree with you both about the Doubles situation - it is a real shame because I don't fathom a trip to Chipsy Wood without seeing Doubles, but I didn't see him there a few weeks ago when Easts played Souths at Chispy Wood.

I am disappointed for Doubles himself.

Trust me this line of enquiry is not me being a Troll or having a crack at the Souths Club.

Surprised to read the comment about Michael Broad - I though he was an excellent coach who was doing well at the club - sounds to me a bit like the inmates running the asylum!!! Maybe he is too much old school for the modern youth who don't seem to want to put in the hard yards - no success comes without sacrifice!!

I certainly haven't detected a massive drop off in the lower grades at Souths - they put a clean sweep on Easts in Round 2 at Bottomley this year, and won all bar Prem, Res & 5th grade in Rnd 11 against Easts.

Like I said, it was just the rumour mill that I've heard players unhappy with the coach, through a friend who works with a player that was moved on last year. It could just be sour grapes from him.
They've had some good results this year with an inexperienced backline, Souths forwards have been great for a few years now.... I think Van the Man is in charge there. So it all points to Broad being a good coach, from the outside looking in.

Breakdown, all I can say for sure is that he was looking at a new halves combination & the players he was aiming for fell through for one reason or another. I have no idea who or where they came from. Actually losing last years halfback Hamlin is possibly their biggest loss. I know they had a young Kiwi flyhalf last season who was playing before the ITM Cup & he didn't return, probably furthering his Kiwi ambitions.

All Prems clubs suffer from players moving on with greater ambitions, so many leave mid season to Euro clubs or ITM, now we have players looking to establish themselves in Sydney to get NRC contracts. It feels like the Brisbane club comp is just a feeder comp for everywhere these days and continuity at clubs suffer and young blokes have to make the step up a lot sooner than the past, without experienced heads to lead the way.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah. He played for GPS (was my colts coach with Batts there in 92) but I reckon he moved on as a player from GPS by 87. Sent off one test, skipper the next. That's gotta be pretty bloody unique.
Fair enough Reg, if he was at Souths at the time that would explain the send off, those boys were a bit rough around the edges.:D

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Hey guys, was just wondering if someone could create a best XV from prem rugby so far this year that doesn't include any plays signed to a professional club? would be much appreciated

T

Tigers Tale

PT I'll give it a go with the best impartiality I can muster.

Some of these guys have been on the bench for the Reds or in the ETS but generally they are not full time S15 players.

The only players from a team sitting lower than 6th is Smith the Wests #9. Harry Parker deserves his spot as the leading try scorer in the comp. As always selecting the best #7 is very difficult.

1. Paraka(E)
2. Ready (E)
3. Sef (U)
4. Matt Bennett(S)/McDurling(U)/Carter(B)
5. Sam Rochester (Snb) / Enever (E)
6. Arvier (U)
7. Gunn(E)/Freeney(B)/Mitchell(U)
8. Buchanan(U)
9. Gale (U)/Smith (W)
10. Greene (B)/Third(Snb)
11. Clynton Knox(B)/Peter Lee(Snb)
12. Sam Johnson(G)/ Seuteni(E)
13. Kerevi (G)
14. Parker (U)/Kurindrani(G)
15. Placid (E)

Reserves:
Loose Fwd: Wilkin(E)
Utility Back: Mullins(E)

Look I know I open myself up here by naming this side but there is a good blend of the top 6 sides although the Sunnybank and South numbers of reps might be down - but happy to take on board other people's views - this is just a starting point for discussion.

But even Filth would agree with my attempt at impartiality with this side - see there are more Brothers guys selected in this side than there has been selected for the Reds in total over the last 5 or 6 years since Crofty retired.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
PT I'll give it a go with the best impartiality I can muster.

Some of these guys have been on the bench for the Reds or in the ETS but generally they are not full time S15 players.

The only players from a team sitting lower than 6th is Smith the Wests #9. Harry Parker deserves his spot as the leading try scorer in the comp. As always selecting the best #7 is very difficult.

1. Paraka(E)
2. Ready (E)
3. Sef (U)
4. Matt Bennett(S)/McDurling(U)/Carter(B)
5. Sam Rochester (Snb) / Enever (E)
6. Arvier (U)
7. Gunn(E)/Freeney(B)/Mitchell(U)
8. Buchanan(U)
9. Gale (U)/Smith (W)
10. Greene (B)/Third(Snb)
11. Clynton Knox(B)/Peter Lee(Snb)
12. Sam Johnson(G)/ Seuteni(E)
13. Kerevi (G)
14. Parker (U)/Kurindrani(G)
15. Placid (E)

Reserves:
Loose Fwd: Wilkin(E)
Utility Back: Mullins(E)

Look I know I open myself up here by naming this side but there is a good blend of the top 6 sides although the Sunnybank and South numbers of reps might be down - but happy to take on board other people's views - this is just a starting point for discussion.

But even Filth would agree with my attempt at impartiality with this side - see there are more Brothers guys selected in this side than there has been selected for the Reds in total over the last 5 or 6 years since Crofty retired.

TT - is this based on form or reputation?

T

Tigers Tale

Look it is a difficult thing to name a side because what is contracted? Some guys are in the ETS but get next to nothing for being so. Also there is greater depth in some positions but not so in others.

I based it on guys who aren't regular starters for the Reds, hence why I didn't name JJ who has had a few opportunities for the Reds whereas Placid only had those few minutes. Then again he's just signed with the Rebels.

Basis of selection is what they have done in QPR not only this year but last couple e.g. Greene ( leading points scorer 2013), Gunn, Placid, Enever, Seuteni (great finals series 2013), McDurling,Sef, Buchanan (consistent over a number of years), Parker, Smith(great in 2014), Paraka & Ready are the best 1 & 2 in the comp, Kerevi, kirundani, Johnson are all very talented and the rest give a bit of balance of representation, Mullins, Wilkin for being outstanding over last few weeks.

Filth if there is an Easts player who shouldn't be there who is it? Feel free to name your own team - but you can't select Croft, Price, Murphy, McKibbin because they don't play for Bros anymore. And Coady's days as the best hooker in the comp have passed. Campbell's age went against him because arguably the most consistent #9 for a number of years.

Is it Tom Banks? And also Payne Bros & Aus U20 lock, McIntyre Snbk & Aus U20 #10 are other guys who would feature in any selection discussions for this team.

See it's not so easy is it so stop being critical you bxxxxxxxs.

Good luck to your club tomorrow.

T

Tigers Tale

The selection of this team just goes to show that there will be some handy players that won't even get a look in when it comes to the NRC sides by the time you put the Reds into the squads acknowledging that not many Reds will be in the Wallaby squad.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm not to sure how highly you lot rate Nguamo? (If that's the right spelling) but he has found the transition into the Shute Shield a bit difficult and could be heading back north at the seasons end for NRC.

Greater Western Sydney Rams will have Hugh Roach (Tahs EPS) Ryan Dalziel (Tahs WTS) and Steve Fualau (Rebels WTS) available.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Never have I been as pleased with a draw as I was this arvo.

Gutsy comeback for the Tigers, and a great result against the comp front runners.

Status
Not open for further replies.