• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ironingman happy for you to be yesterday's heroes, and you will note that I have given credit to Brothers (Shaw era) in this forum before but my point is that Brothers & Randwick for both their fine long histories are not the dominate clubs in their respective competitions that they once were - however the only ones that don't appreciate that are Brothers & Randwick supporters.

As we have seen in AFL over the weekend - humility in sporting success is very important for the good of the game.

We all respect the sustained success that Randwick, Brothers and Souths were able to achieve through their golden eras (all built on the back of some outstanding players who did great things for club, state & nation) but it is history and what is more important to me is the game and the team that my club runs out in circa 2014.

I have also said on this forum before that for all the bravado associated with pigeon holing particular clubs you will find that Rugby clubs have more in common than they are different. May we all enjoy the ride of supporting our own clubs.

Supporting one's club is a journey not a destination.

Enjoy supporting your club this weekend.
TT, I have been involved at 6 rugby clubs in different states over 5 decades and understand that there are far more similarities than differences but thanks for sharing your wisdom on the subject.

Maybe we should enjoy the ride of supporting Rugby and be grateful that any allegiance we have to a particular club just makes the experience a bit more joyful. I was at the Tigers v Sydney Uni game earlier this year and last years GF and enjoyed the theatre of both events.

I also understand that premiership success is a wonderful but generally fleeting thing, enjoy the moment but the most important game is the next one. Just as you claim that all that is important to you is circa 2014 I can assure you that the Brothers supporters I associate with are only concerned with the same.

The past success of Brothers, Uni, Souths and Randwick, and the current success of Sydney Uni seems to be dwelled upon far more by opposition supporters than those that were or are in the moment of time. It seems that any performance below those standards is seized upon as an opportunity to have a chirp.

My response to your earlier post was just a gentle shot back across the bows after you (someone that claims to be only interested in the present) dragged up some history in regards to Brothers, Souths and GPS.

I won't be making the journey to support my club's Premier teams this weekend as they take their home match to Roma but I will go and have a peek at the other grades and then who knows, I might even pop out to catch the big one between Easts v GPS. You should be able to spot me, I will be the one with two eyes and not frothing at the mouth.

T

Tigers Tale

Ironingman - contrary to what many might think I don't endeavour to criticise other clubs and it is not my intentions to upset others I try and speak stats not opinion on this forum (for the most part).

I understand and believe that we are very lucky to have a competition in QLD where so many great rugby people support their club allegiance.

My thoughts are that some supporters suffer superiority complex borne out of past success - that I do not like. Nor do I like when others discount the achievements of other clubs and their players.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth great initiative by the Brothers club to take the game out to the country.

I think you'll get the chocolates this weekend but hopefully only a 4 pointer.

T

Tigers Tale

The Big Dog what's the GPS side looking like for this Saturday?

This was your side in last week's QRU preview:

GPS: Fred Burke, Ryan Freney, Phil Kite, Alex Champtaloup, Michael Richards, Marco Kotze, Vili Fainga'a, Jono Ellis ©, Tom Christie, James Tuttle, Chris Kurindrani, Sam Johnson, James Herbert, Isaac Weir, Mitch Fuller

Are Kurindrani & Johnson playing this Saturday and if not who comes in?

Will Zangari get a start?

How will they handle coming to Bottomley as the firm favourites?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TT, the forward pack won't have any forced changes so I believe will be very similar to the one which faced Norths.

Will have to wait and see the Reds team announcement before knowing about Kurindrani and Johnson. Without knowing too much about the selections you'd have to think Zangari will be first picked if those two aren't available, another option would be Todd Winkley. Liam McWhirter has also been playing well for Premier Reserve so if Johnson is with the Reds Shane Arnold might try slot him in somewhere, possibly shifting Tuttle to 12.

Im not so sure about GPS being 'firm favourites'... the Tigers have definitely had the wood over the Gallopers the last couple of times, however, I do think a GPS win at Bottomley will go a long way in showing the competition that the boys from Yoku rd are here to go all the way in 2014. No doubt both teams will put on a good performance as the game has significant bearing for each in different ways.

T

Tigers Tale

It's been that case for about 6 weeks Filth.

They are probably all must win games if the Tigers are going to grab that 4th spot off your mob.

If they can get there they'll be in good shape to do some damage in the finals.

Clearly wins this week (GPS) and next (Bros) are crucial to the Tigers chances.

It is going to come down to how good our respective teams perform over the closing stages but your team is in a strong position 7 points in front with 4 rounds to play.

The run home:

Sunnybank currently 3rd on 44 points:
R15 Wests(H)
R16 Norths(A)
R17 Easts(H)
R18 GPS(A)

Brothers currently 4th on 43 points:
R15 Norths (H - Roma)
R16 Easts (A)
R17 GPS(H)
R18 UNI(A)

Easts currently 5th on 36 points:
R15 GPS(H)
R16 BROS(H)
R17 SNBK(A)
R18 BOND(H)

Come on Norths!!

T

Tigers Tale

Thanks Big Dog - I hope that Kurindrani & Johnson get a trip to Perth!!

Would be nice to see Zangari & McWhirter reunited in the GPS backline?

The spoils have been shared of recent times both sides won 2 of the 4 encounters last year and then it was a draw in the Yoku Rd clash earlier this year.

It will be a great encounter with so much for both to play for.

A GPS loss may put them in line for a minor semi encounter with the Tigers - who knows!!

GPS currently 2nd on 49 points:
R15 Easts (A)
R16 UNI(H)
R17 BROS(A)
R18 SNBK(H)

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
It looks certain to be the same top 5x sides (Uni, GPS, Brothers, Easts, Sunnybank) as last year at completion of the rounds.

When can we expect to see the other 4x (Wests, Souths, Norths, GC) challenge for higher placings as this looks consistent year on year for some time now?

Surely reviewed rugby programs, coaching appointments, recruitment/ retention, & colts success must turn fortunes for these clubs eventually?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wests and Norths are still majorly struggling in the Colts department. I feel until they get that area sorted it may be a while before they're competitive where it really counts, its hard to get depth when the 30 or so players who graduate to grades each year have spent two years getting dealt heavy losses each week.

Souths and Bond seem to be competitive in Premier Colts and Colts 1 this year so hopefully that translates into future success.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just to meld a couple of topics
- Brothers performance
- Colts leading to grades success
I would be the last person not to push strong Colts for a club but the reality is that Brothers are the only club to make the semis every year from 2004-2013 and during that time their Colts have been woeful. Some years they didn't even have 3 teams.
The reality is that Rugby participation is changing, both with social and economic conditions, but also the decline in team sports as an adult recreation choice and the perception that everyone who plays senior Rugby is after a professional contract.
Uni and GPS both have unique demographic models which suit the current situation (hence they are 1 & 2 in Club Championship). The rest will struggle as often as they succeed.
Sunnybank is a bit different and they have been fairly consistent in colts (3 teams each year and a 80% SF success rate) and they are the next best Premier team with 8 SF appearances and 3 Premierships from 2004-2013.
Wouldn't be knocking Brothers and if you have a good Colts year don't presume it will lead to Premier success.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think saying Brothers colts have been woeful for that entire period is a massive overstatement, last year for example their Premier Colts team were viewed as Premiership favourites and this year all three of their colts teams are hovering around the top 4. Also they've been able to get at least 40-50 players down since about 2006 which translates into club depth down the track.

The issue with Norths and Wests Colts is that they don't even have numbers to get teams on the paddock. Norths currently on have a Premier Colts team and Wests had three teams but recently dropped their colts 2 out of the comp while the other two teams are sitting bottom of the ladder.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
It's not purely about Brothers Colts.
They are 5th, 7th and 6th this year.
PC did well last year but they struggled to keep a C2 on the field.
2012 no C2 and no SF for PC.
Much the same for the years before.
They are ahead of the clubs you mention but behind Uni, Sunnybank and GPS.
The point was irrespective of this they achieve in Premier.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It's not purely about Brothers Colts.
They are 5th, 7th and 6th this year.
PC did well last year but they struggled to keep a C2 on the field.
2012 no C2 and no SF for PC.
Much the same for the years before.
They are ahead of the clubs you mention but behind Uni, Sunnybank and GPS.
The point was irrespective of this they achieve in Premier.

Brothers have also managed to keep the premier side relatively intact for the last 7 or so years, which helps explain the consistency and strong front end of the season but poor finish once injuries take hold and the apparent lack of depth (as you mention) comes into affect.

I think Brothers is lazy when it comes to recruiting the school leavers - they assume NC/GT boys will come and that will do the job, unfortunately thats doesn't seem to be the trend as much (particularly this year with GPS taking a few key colts from school that Brothers would have counted on)

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Norths - In a constant state of change and rebuilding. Tim Grady is a good coach and filled a hole when Paul Healy jetted off. Norths inability tap into the rich Northside talent pool is a worry, a potential idea would be tap into their gun 4th grade side and get Donovan Slade involved in the coaching and planning of Prems. Quality guy, good connections. They could and have done a lot worse!

Norths shouldn't just be looking to target Don for coaching, they should be looking at the key players in that team and convince them to take it seriously next year. Most of the backline are only in their mid-twenties and some key members of the forward pack were playing Premier Grade at Norths/GPS just a few years ago. If Norths put some time into building that relationship and getting those guys to pre-season I think they would actually fare pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.