• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tough day at the office for the Gallopers yesterday, across all grades as Red Heavy mentioned with GPS only winning Premier Reserve. Club depth was really tested with a few guys out in Prems and also a large contingent of 1st/2nd grade players away on a mid year group holiday. The boys from UQ were just too good though and a real testament to the ability of players at the club across all grades.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
GPS will still be hard to beat next week.

University are just miles in front with all round club success, which is disappointing. ;)

T

Tigers Tale

No anti-Brothers sentiment from TT! Oh the beauty of winning! :D

No credit where it's due - Bros too good yesterday. But maybe Tigers aren't dead just yet - GPS 51 Easts 41 although GPS far superior F&A, so maybe I have to concede that Easts will finish 5th for the 4th time in 5 years.

GPS may have to do it via the minor semi which is tough.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's not impossible though, TT. If you beat Sunnybank and Bond comfortably, whilst GPS lose without a BP to Brothers and Sunnybank, the semi final spot could still be up for grabs. Though, I can't see it happening.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - it is just the Tigers never say die attitude in me - realistically it a ridiculous long shot not to mention the 70 point difference in F&A that currently exists.

No I think it is over for the Tigers in 2014 but they will come back hard in 2015.

I can't help myself but did you know what the penalty count was at about the 45 minute mark yesterday?

It was about 4(Easts)-16(Brothers) that is penalties at 4:1 ratio.

Now I know Referees can find a multitude of penalties at the scrum and breakdown in the modern game but it does make it hard when you are on the receiving end.

I also appreciate that Easts probably played a part but is one side 4 times better or worse in this area of the game surely not.

Easts Premier Reserve grade were on the end of a similar penalty count.

My only other comments would be:
1. Why was that Easts try disallowed at about the 70 minute mark?

2. In that same period 10-15 to go when Easts had sustained pressure on the Brothers line and Brothers were penalised on a few occasions for breakdown offenses was not a yellow card issued given the Ref had awarded one to Jack Mullins in the lead up to half time which was probably fair enough - my question here is one of consistency?

A response for you - Filth - and Refabit on these few points and that will probably see me log out for 2014!!

Enjoy the Tigerless Final series which I think will see Uni defeat Sunnybank in the grand final but good luck to all four remaining clubs.

I will now set up a Tigers 4th Grade Forum for those of you who are interested!! - they will be the only Tigers side in the final. They will be minor premiers and enter the finals as favourites - at least that is something to look forward to!!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Matt Mafi was yellow-carded for being off-side when Easts had a rolling maul in the 1st half. I thought it was a tough call, considering it was Brothers 1st (or maybe 2nd) infringement inside the 22.

TT you fail to recall that Easts infringed multiple times inside the Brothers 22 late in the 2nd half - no yellow card given.

Easts' discipline is the issue, TT. Brothers were hands down the better team.

After yesterdays performance, I question whether Andrew Ready is up to Super Rugby. Gunn and Placid - definitely. Though Gunn was out classed by Charles Freney. However, I think Gunn just had an off day.

I watched Reserve Grade, and Brothers likewise were the better team.

I actually appreciate your contribution to this forum, TT. But I think you're being a bit too one-eyed.

T

Tigers Tale

Fair enough Filth - Pauly said it well above - Brothers deserved their win - but I'd have nothing without my Easts bias. Good luck to your team for the rest of the year.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
With Super Rugby season now over for the Reds it will be interesting to see which players head straight back to their clubs and who takes some time off. I'd like to see GPS give this backline a crack:

9. Tuttle
10. Johnson
11. Weier
12. Fainga'a
13. Kerevi
14. Kurindrani
15. Herbert

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Kerevi will be huge for GPS in the coming weeks.

I can't see anyone coming back for Sunnybank. Tapuai and Lucas are both put from the weekend. I think Holmes will probably save himself for the NRC and Schatz is the only real possibility but will probably want a rest after a big season playing lots of time with the Reds.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
You might get lucky Ironingman, I'm not sure whether the full contingent will return this week but would be good. A couple of losses in a row for Premier Grade isn't a good build up to the finals. The rest of the club will surely benefit from the talent filtering back through the grades as well.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Good results on the weekend sees Sunnybank up to second. Uni will secure the minor Premiership with a win at the nest this weekend.

The next couple of weeks will be interesting as the top 4 teams are playing each other in a number of games.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Big game for your Tigers this weekend though TT. Knocking off the Dragons at Oldmac would be something they'd be keen to do? I'm keen to see Wilkins and Gunn go around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will be interesting to see whether anyone is able to deduce players (that we aren't aware of yet) who may be leaving the Reds due their absences at their clubs. Depending on who they've signed for some may be unavailable I'd imagine. I'm fairly sure anyone required in a European league has to head off in early August.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
however most players with a Reds contract are contracted to October right? Unless they get granted early leave.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Are they? I wasn't aware of that. I know the Rebels are letting their leavers head in August, I thought other clubs would do the same.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I know Albert Anae is off to Italy soon. He must have managed an early release.

If Graham has said he doesn't want these players I can't see a reason why they wouldn't get an early release.

T

Tigers Tale

UJ Seuteni left for France last week and Aidan Toua leaves next week. Placid is playing NRC for Melb.

T

Tigers Tale

Sadly I don't think many Reds will turn out this Saturday or partake in the finals. I think that Uni & GPS will get more back than Snbk.

Hanson, McDurling, JJ & Browning as ins make Uni look pretty slick. Don't think they'll see Davies or Harris though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TT are you getting on board with Brisbane City in the NRC? They will be wearing you beloved blue and gold so you shouldn't have to buy and new gear to show your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.