• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Wow Fritz - you may well now be the most disliked Tiger contributor on this forum.

Which given the friends/foes I have made on this forum is quite a feat.

T

Tigers Tale

Given Faulkners absence from the game for 3/4 seasons he has taken time to get back to his best but he'll get there but he may be the one that steps back if Turner fronts up for QPR.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
I hope the Filth are injury free and cocky as hell this Saturday because a last home game and Old Boys Day and school holidays will mean a bumper crowd at Tigerland.

How much damage was done to Brothers self belief at Crosby first round where they gave up a huge lead and lost? We are about to find out. I'm suspecting we might see a blow out win to the Tigers to thank the faithful supporters and send a message to the chasers.

Wow... blowout win to Tigers? Did you not watch the first matchup? Brothers should've put 50 on them with the amount of clean linebreaks they made... Easts didn't win the first game, Brothers lost it. Easts were outplayed in every facet of the game except the only one that matters... the scoreboard. To predict a blowout for the re-match is very ballsy! Will be a very close affair I imagine.. Brothers have won 5 straight and are playing the full 80 minutes at the moment... just ask GPS. In the first round they lost a number of games by lapses in the last 20.

T

Tigers Tale

I don't agree with everything you've said Waterboy but I do agree it won't be a blowout it will be a keenly contested encounter at Bottomley this Saturday and if either side underestimates the capability of the other they do so at their peril.

Given the two coaches involved I think its fair to assume that both sides will turn up ready to roll.

I love Easts v Brothers and this Saturday 1 v 2 won't disappoint.

I am not prepared to tip a result or margin because I think it will go right down to the wire - it will be finals footy in June.

The only thing I will predict is that there will be a big home crowd at Bottomley this Saturday so get there early.

The other premier games - reserves & colts - will be worth watching as of these 4 teams only Bros Prem Reserves are assured of a semi final spot whilst East Res/Colts and Bros Colts are all in contention for finals footy and would dearly like to come away with the chocolates.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Wow. blowout win to Tigers? Did you not watch the first matchup? Brothers should've put 50 on them with the amount of clean linebreaks they made. Easts didn't win the first game, Brothers lost it. Easts were outplayed in every facet of the game except the only one that matters. the scoreboard. To predict a blowout for the re-match is very ballsy! Will be a very close affair I imagine.. Brothers have won 5 straight and are playing the full 80 minutes at the moment. just ask GPS. In the first round they lost a number of games by lapses in the last 20.

Tigers have now clawed their way to eleven Big Ws on the trot. Brothers are patting themselves on the back after five. How the world has changed.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Tigers have now clawed their way to eleven Big Ws on the trot. Brothers are patting themselves on the back after five. How the world has changed.

This team has put 50 on UQ and 40 on the Bank at Tigerland already this season.

T

Tigers Tale

Fritz if they tackle like they did in the first half last Saturday they'll concede 40 in the first half against Brothers.

No disrespect to Wests but this Easts side tends to perform better against the better sides in the comp - lets hope that trend continues this Saturday.

They will fix their defence and territorial kicking this week, they will need to against the best counter attack in the competition.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
This team has put 50 on UQ and 40 on the Bank at Tigerland already this season.

And? You might not be familiar with the 2007 New England Patriots in the NFL, but I recommend looking them up..

No doubt will be a cracker of a game, I'm not prepared to discount any team, I'm just surprised at your bold predictions that no doubt will only motivate Brothers if they saw them.

T

Tigers Tale

I have been belittled for claiming underdog status for the Tigers for this weekend's clash but the stats below say that Brothers should be favourites:

Team: Attack Ave; Att Rank; Defence Ave.; Def Rank;
Easts: 31.4; 3; 20.4; 2;
Bros: 33.2; 1; 19.2; 1;
Uni: 26.2; 5; 21.6; 5;
Snbk: 31.5; 2; 23.2; 6;
Souths: 28.6; 4; 21.1; 4;
Bond: 19.4; 8; 21.0; 3;
GPS: 20.7; 7; 29.5; 8;
Wests: 22.4; 6; 28.9; 7;
Norths: 12.9; 9; 39.4; 9;

Brothers have the best attack and defence averages in the comp whilst Easts rank 3rd for attack and 2nd in defence.

Numbers and statistics sometimes throw up anomalies - see that Uni 5th in both attack and defence sit in 3rd on the points table and that the 5th & 6th ranked defensive sides sit in 3rd & 4th on the points table, yet Bond & Souths are 3rd & 4th in defence but sit in 6th & 5th.

N.B. I am only commenting on facts not emotions.

T

Tigers Tale

Waterboy - Brothers run is not dis-similar to how Easts ran into the finals in 2013. I just hope that Easts don't do a GPS(circa 2013).

I think Easts in 2013 won: 7 drew: 1 lost: 0 of their last 8 games.

Easts will be hoping to end Brothers streak this Saturday and continue their own streak which sits at 10 in a row (since their one loss of the season to Uni in Round 3).

I much prefer when the Tigers are the hunters rather than the hunted.

I don't think you really need to beef up the chat prior to an Easts v Brothers clash as there is always a case of the perennial underachievers against the perennial over achievers.

Filth and I could always debate which club wear's which tag over recent times (last 20 years) if things wind down later in the week!!!!

I think such debate at this stage of the week just shows how much this clash means to the two clubs but remember the winner on Saturday has still not achieved what they both want from 2015 and that's the Hospital Cup.

So in essence Saturday is only about bragging rights but it will be fun!!!

T

Tigers Tale

Beer Baron it would be a pretty tame thread without us.

I clearly have an Easts bias but it is nothing on Fritz' obsession with AJ Campbell!!!

I will say it again I am not one for pumping up peoples tyres I like to talk of outcomes, history & statistics. I appreciate that we are lucky to have such good clubs in QPR.

Fritz (I think I know who you are) but just a piece of advice if I could - I don't think the Easts or the NRC selectors read this forum so you can stop pumping up AJ's tyres. Don't get me wrong he's been great for the Tigers this year but I just can't see how he could be selected ahead of Paraka in any team this year.

He should however make the Qld Country team in my opinion - however I don't think my opinion (or yours) carries much weight around the QRU corridors.

If AJ gets a chance in the NRC it would be a wonderful opportunity to advance his cause for recognition higher up the chain - which is exactly what Paraka did with his Brisbane City performances last year.

With patience and persistence if you are good enough you will get an opportunity.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm going to do a TT and give myself a self imposed pre match ban. However in the words of General Douglas McArthur "I shall return"

T

Tigers Tale

I might put a muzzle on myself Fritz in the lead-up to Saturday, otherwise I will be exhausted come game time.

I will leave it to the Brothers clan to speak lyrical about Greene, the Thor, etc for the rest of the week.

From a Brothers perspective it is sad to hear that Knox is heading to Japan and has played his last QPR game for the season and that the fullback Hyne is also departing to the UK after Saturday. That will test the depth and weaken Bros Reggies as well.

Tiger Land

Stan Wickham (3)
Jeez maybe I had too much sun in my eyes watching the scrums then?

Anyway, 5 points is 5 points, moving on.

Any of the Tigers here think Joel Faulkner isn't up to standard this year? I've been very unimpressed by him, especially defensively. I don't think he has finished a tackle yet. I'd be looking at Bartley or Carroll, both great in reserve grade to take that wing spot.

Last Week Joel was marking the fastest player in the competition, which is why he missed a few tackles. Wests may have been an off game for the Tigers, but recently Joel has been quite solid just like the rest of the Tigers backline. Besides Matt Carroll is out for the rest of the season with an injury. However Tony Bartley has played well in recent games but Joel will most likely keep his Premier Grade spot.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I was referring to his entire season. From where I watch the game from at Easts, I see him quite closely, and his technique is shocking, he always goes with his hands then falls to the ground. It is concerning when you have two players in the backline (Brandon who defends on the wing as well), who cannot complete a tackle. Fortunately White, Gordon, Wilder sre strong in defence, so it gets shut down early.

But as seen on the weekend, when the ball gets wide to a player like Morseau (Felsman, Fitzgerald, Parker, Lafoili), that poor technique doesn't cut it. And thats where Wests looked dangerous, when they got it out past the Easts centres, and pushed on the wider channels. If I was Brothers, I'd be applying the same game plan. Wih Greene throwing bullets, Felsman/Firzgerald/Hyne can potentially make some serious inroads when they get out wider from the strong defending Easts centres.

Easts should look to play as tight as possible. I think the Tigers have the stronger pack and set peice, so utilising Brandon/Gordon's kicking for field position, then using the packs strength will go a long way in shutting out Greene & co.

Status
Not open for further replies.