• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
I am sorry TT, but that statement is just ridiculous. Maybe...maybe out of line what Breakdown said, but also maybe true, everyone knows that there is a very strong Easts presence within the QRU.

You can't be serious in saying that the reason Andrew Walker and Lachy Turner went to Easts was because of strong 'links' to junior rugby?? Turner joined Easts because he is mates with Mowen, and Mowen told him to go there (they were spotted watching Easts games together before he signed with Qld), and Walker was getting paid. Easts don't generally pay players (everyone knows that), but they were paying Walker, and it ended up being a great investment as he helped them win the GF.

T

Tigers Tale

I am sorry TT, but that statement is just ridiculous. Maybe.maybe out of line what Breakdown said, but also maybe true, everyone knows that there is a very strong Easts presence within the QRU.

You can't be serious in saying that the reason Andrew Walker and Lachy Turner went to Easts was because of strong 'links' to junior rugby?? Turner joined Easts because he is mates with Mowen, and Mowen told him to go there (they were spotted watching Easts games together before he signed with Qld), and Walker was getting paid. Easts don't generally pay players (everyone knows that), but they were paying Walker, and it ended up being a great investment as he helped them win the GF.

Mate there is a very strong Brothers presence on the QRU board does that mean that that is the reason the Thor ended up at Bros? No.

Each club is allowed to speak with any player that joins the Reds from out of town and make a pitch for that player.

To say that the QRU plays favourites with Prem Clubs is a bit of a long bow.

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
TT, I just love Rugby, and generally try and make it to any game that interests me on a weekend - club or school. I have a few daughters, so getting to the rugby is 'my time'. I didn't realise you had to have a set club! (plenty of other people who post on here don't also).

The problem I have with your statement, is that you are implying that other clubs don't have strong links to their Juniors, which is not true. I love loyalty, but you can't say that Easts have a better relationship with their juniors than other clubs in Qld, and that is a reason why professional players would join a club over another.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
TT no one is guaranteed a prems spot at uni.

As for wade he is a very good player. He has taken time to adapt from
7 (where he won a tony shaw medal) to hooker but that can be expected.

I believe he left uni for wests because he wanted to play under mooney. I assume he felt a little disgruntled when phil up and left before the start of the season so he joined his manager at GPS. He played out the season and returned home where he had a pretty impressive season in 2015.

He has now been rewarded with an eps spot at the brumbies. While a few of the uni faithful might not have been overly happy with the first move to wests not a person down there now would be any thing but happy for a young kid following his dream of playing professional footy.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I personally dislike when players leave clubs. I know at Brothers it is really frown down upon.

I think Walker was paid to play at Easts, however I think it was a more to lift the standard at the club and bring things together - which of course resulted in Easts winning in 2008 (much due to a 16th man and blind touch judges).

I really think Easts success (two premierships, don't get carried away TT) was a result of Andrew Walker. I think he brought an element of professionalism and belief to an otherwise toothless tiger outfit.

With that being said I think if University keep winning, they're going to be painted with a 'buyers/corporation' brush. Similarly with Sydney University. It's not a fair tag, however, I think it will be hard to avoid, especially with this constant 'poachers of Wests' assertions being endlessly mentioned throughout club rugby in Brisbane.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
"Slow to the" Breakdown this is just a ridiculous statement - Easts have picked up 2 players from the Reds in 20 years of professional rugby - Andrew Walker & Lachy Turner who both joined the Tigers because it was a club with solid links to its juniors.

'Tall Tale' it seems there are a number of others that disagree with you on this matter. Either way, quick bite as usual.

T

Tigers Tale

I personally dislike when players leave clubs. I know at Brothers it is really frown down upon.

I think Walker was paid to play at Easts, however I think it was a more to lift the standard at the club and bring things together - which of course resulted in Easts winning in 2008 (much due to a 16th man and blind touch judges).

I really think Easts success (two premierships, don't get carried away TT) was a result of Andrew Walker. I think he brought an element of professionalism and belief to an otherwise toothless tiger outfit.

Filth

1. Did you frown on Sam Greene for leaving Wests?

2. You need to let 2008 go;

3. That's 4 premierships in 20 years more than one(for Brothers). With respect 2013 was more to do with Pat Richards recruitment of Butler, Enever, Cox, Seuteni, Kimmince, Ready than it was about Andrew Walker who last played for Easts in 2009 v Bros in the Prelim Final loss - he didn't have one of his better games that day.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Why not a restricted trade system for QRU??

Only 4 out, 4 in per season per Premier club. Lets call it FOFI :)

This covers Prem grade, Res grade, Prem Colts & 1st grade.

So each club can only lose 4 players in total from these 4 grades to other Premier clubs per season, and they can only gain 4 players in total from these grades from other Premier clubs per season.

To be eligible, players must have played 80% of their games in those 4 grades.

Players from these can transfer to subbies clubs no problems.... or out of Brisbane is also fine...... and then onto the Premier club the following season if they wish, and its not included in the FOFI rule.

Will make the richer clubs (not only in the financial sense of the word) think about who they want and will let in, whilst other players in Res grade and 1st grade will consider their options a lot more closely.

(No dig at Uni here, just using it as an example as its the situation I know about)

Norths, have lost 2 of their better players and outstanding clubmen to Uni.

Both are definite starters at Norths for Prem grade... but at Uni, may not be. One of them will more than likely play 1st Grade due to the depth there. Which is a shame for them and for Premier Grade football as the best players are not playing in the best grade.

Another e.g. The Easts hooker also going to Uni.

So now Uni have numerous Premier grade quality hookers, and not all can play on the big stage consistently :(

In order to improve our product, we need the best on show... all the time.

In reverse, I know there are Premier grade quality players playing 1st grade and Reserve grade at some clubs.... but wont get a shot. Infact, we have lost a couple of players to another Prem grade club as they want to crack Prems, but due to the depth we have in those particular positions, they struggled at play Prems consistently at Norths.

I know you cant tell a player where to go, but if the window of being able to change clubs willy nilly is closed a little, it might even things out a bit??

FOFI - Just a thought :)

Still love ya work Red Heavy!! ;)

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TGB the QRU could possibly implement some movement restrictions on players who are contracted but it would be nearly impossible to get your 'average joe' prem player to agree to something like that. After-all, the players pay the clubs for their right to play, therefore have a right to decide where their money goes.

I understand the sentiment though, it would just be hard to implement imo.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Fair call Big Dog....

Maybe we need to stop treating them as "Average Joe's"? ;)

Playing Premier Grade rugby is a special thing. Not everyone gets the opportunity. Unfortunately most players don't appreciate this until they stop playing or cant play anymore.

If we make it exclusive, important, unique, players will want it more.

Bringing in a FOFI type system will make it unique and serious players will stop just changing clubs for a better looking training kit, or because my mates old man is on the board at XXXXX etc. (very loose example)

They do have the right to choose, totally agree, but if they want to play Prems, and this is the system, they will find a way.

E.g. (no offence to the clubs I mention) I play 1st grade and bench for Reserve grade at Brothers and want to play Prems. The depth in my position runs deep at Albion. Ok, I want to try and play Prems at Uni. They have a good set up there. I think I'm good enough. I contact Uni but they have transferred in 4 players already. Damn it, I've missed out and will have to wait until next season. I let Uni know I am interested and to keep an eye on my progress.
Hang on, Wests have only transferred in 2 so there is a spot there. Off I go to Wests to try and play Prems there. I've used up a FOFI spot at Wests so want to repay them and work my butt off to do so. I play Prems and play well. The following season, Uni see my progress and offer me a FOFI spot. I say "No thanks, I'm quite happy at the Kennel" :):):)

Maybe have a window of Prem GF to Dec 31st for these transfers to happen?

I don't know... just thinking out loud.

:)

T

Tigers Tale

'Tall Tale' it seems there are a number of others that disagree with you on this matter. Either way, quick bite as usual.

Look Breakdown if you are wanting to point the finger at a club that pays their players then Easts is not your club.

MT I am not as vain as to suggest that Easts are the only club with solid juniors there are a heap of larger junior clubs like GPS, Bros, etc and smaller clubs like Taylor Bridge, Kenmore, Redlands, Wynnum, etc doing great stuff on the Juniors front.

In fact I believe that Junior Rugby is where the QRU does some of it's best work.

But I do know that the Junior set up and its links to the Senior club was one of the things that attracted both Walker & Turner to Easts.

Believe what you want but I was the one who posted on this forum that Turner would play for Easts because of his friendship with Ben Mowen - I think I said that he was going to attend the 2013 GF with Mowen - it was an absolute furphy - don't believe everything you read on Green & Gold!!

I think Aidan Toua & Ed Quirk also had a fair bit to do with Turner's decision to link with Easts.

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Why not a restricted trade system for QRU??

Only 4 out, 4 in per season per Premier club. Lets call it FOFI :)

This covers Prem grade, Res grade, Prem Colts & 1st grade.

So each club can only lose 4 players in total from these 4 grades to other Premier clubs per season, and they can only gain 4 players in total from these grades from other Premier clubs per season.

To be eligible, players must have played 80% of their games in those 4 grades.

Players from these can transfer to subbies clubs no problems.. or out of Brisbane is also fine.. and then onto the Premier club the following season if they wish, and its not included in the FOFI rule.

Will make the richer clubs (not only in the financial sense of the word) think about who they want and will let in, whilst other players in Res grade and 1st grade will consider their options a lot more closely.

(No dig at Uni here, just using it as an example as its the situation I know about)

Norths, have lost 2 of their better players and outstanding clubmen to Uni.

Both are definite starters at Norths for Prem grade. but at Uni, may not be. One of them will more than likely play 1st Grade due to the depth there. Which is a shame for them and for Premier Grade football as the best players are not playing in the best grade.

Another e.g. The Easts hooker also going to Uni.

So now Uni have numerous Premier grade quality hookers, and not all can play on the big stage consistently :(

In order to improve our product, we need the best on show. all the time.

In reverse, I know there are Premier grade quality players playing 1st grade and Reserve grade at some clubs.. but wont get a shot. Infact, we have lost a couple of players to another Prem grade club as they want to crack Prems, but due to the depth we have in those particular positions, they struggled at play Prems consistently at Norths.

I know you cant tell a player where to go, but if the window of being able to change clubs willy nilly is closed a little, it might even things out a bit??

FOFI - Just a thought :)

Still love ya work Red Heavy!! ;)
Matt Randell approached UQ not the other way around.UQ actively went after Tonga Mafu & Matt Randell was a last minute thing.He was annoyed at being overlooked at Easts & despite knowing he is going to be up against Mafu is happy to challenge himself & start with a clean slate.
The new Reds U20 coaches ( both Easts men) aren't too popular amongst most clubs with Liam Wright & Izack Rodda encouraged to go to Easts as it would be 'better for their rugby'.Rodda in particular was targeted by Brothers,GPS,UQ & Sunnybank.He's been given a $150 contribution towards living expenses which the other clubs scoffed at.
With Lachy Parkinson,Tyrell Barker,Anthony Connellan,Jason Gilmore,Tim Sampson,Pat Richards & Richard Graham all being Easts men,the Reds & particularly the Age group side of things has a very Tiger tinge.This hasn't been lost on the recruiting teams at the other clubs.

wests junior

Frank Row (1)
No accident at all - Easts have offered money to all those top schoolboys they've recruited.

Common sense please Tigers Tale: Easts have an ordinary colts program; your premier colts and colts one barely stayed off the bottom of the ladder. If Fox, Perese etc. wanted to play for a good club they would of gone to University or Sunnybank.

I know the majority of clubs went after those players hammer and tong - so they all ended up at Easts (a club which doesn't offer incentives and has a dwindling colts program??).

T

Tigers Tale

Just because something is posted on this forum doesn't make it fact.

If some of these guys take on coaching positions at the QRU (for quids) & leave a lasting impression on the young guys then maybe these young blokes are joining Easts for the right reasons rather than some of the disillusionment that has been expressed in this forum of late.

James Charalambous is the head coach of Colts at Easts this year and he coached 2nd XV at Churchie last year whilst Michael Lucas & Jason Gilmour coached the Churchie 1st XV to the premiership - maybe those connections are part of the reason that these Churchie boys have ended up at Easts.

Historically Easts have always pulled a few Churchie lads into colts and many of them play juniors at Easts.

I also understand that the Churchie 1st XV trained with the Easts Premier Grade side in the lead-up to their GPS campaign last year.

Maybe these guys have seen what Placid, Gunn, Seuteni, Paraka, Wilken, etc achieved first year out of school at the Tigers, and see Easts as a genuine pathway. Most of these guys (apart from Seuteni & Paraka) started in the Colts Program and then graduated to Premier Grade by season's end at Easts, so despite the fact that Easts Colts results have been ordinary to say the least over the last few years they have uncovered a few gems.

Lets hope that there are more in 2015 because the Easts Prems will need a boost given that they have lost a large contingent of the 2013 GF side now. Only 7 of the starting GF side of 2013 will front up in 2015:

1. Paraka (#1);
2. Sanday (#3);
3. Gunn (#7);
4. Mullins (#9);
5. Brandon (#10);
6. White (#13);
7. Wilder (#11).
(N.B. Ready wore #16 with Randell @ #2 - the man who "doesn't get opportunities at Easts").

I know that I am wasting my time defending Easts honour here but I find it unbelievable that a club like Easts is being caste as a "Silvertale" when they are anything but.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyone at Souths know whats happening with Samu Kerevi? I was under the impression he had gone to the nest with Buzz but he was present and helping out at GPS training last night.

GPSMick

Bob McCowan (2)
Big Dog since you were down at GPS training last night who's coaching reserve grade mate? I I heard before Xmas they were still looking for a coach or Dammers was going to dual coach reggies and prems?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPSMick from what I understand at this stage there is still no stand-alone coach for reggies. The prem reserves and prem grade are still training as a large squad, I presume they will do so during the trials so that Dammers can get a decent look at the cattle this year. I guess this gives the GPS board another month or so before they need to really make a decision on who gets the job.

I did hear Kelevi Tuicolo was approached about the position but it looks like he is going to be staying with Prem Colts.

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
Big Dog & GPSMick, are they struggling to find a coach, or is the board just being very 'patient' in appointing one??

That GPS Reserve Grade team has been outstanding over the last few years, and generally that team I think would be capable of mixing it in Premier Grade. Looking from the outdside, if I was an 'up and coming' coach, I think it would be very desirable post, as you would be pretty certain of good players and probable success.

I suppose what I am getting it, is WHY don't they have a coach yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.