• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It was a tough day for GPS out at Easts. I won't say much about the Premier game as my thoughts have already been echoed in other posts but it was a very disrupted game. Not ideal rugby. Still, encouraging for a GPS supporter as a lot of the blokes who played are new to the club and pending injuries in the Reds etc there should be a few guys filtering back over the year. Full credit to Easts for battling it out. I believe several Reds will be available for all clubs this weekend due to their bye round.

Dammers is putting a strong focus on winning the Doherty Shield this year so luckily GPS managed to pickup a few wins under the lights after Prem grade and also got up in Prem Colts.

Will be another step up this weekend at UQ and now the club has played their first official round of the year I'd be hoping some of the cobwebs have been blown out or it could be a long day at St Lucia for the Yoku lads.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Is there a Norths 4th grade side around this year?

By that I mean - a lower grade side that is stacked? Like Gps 4th grade 2013? norths 4th grade 2014? my understanding is that these are many of the same players?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS 4th Grade 2012 (now Brisbane 3rds) won the Premiership with many of the same players who won the Premiership in Norths Brisbane 2nd grade 2014 side.

GPS 4th Grade 2013 (same again, now called Brisbane 3rds) won the Premiership as well but weren't stacked like the previous year.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apparently they are returning to GPS but so far have only been sighted once at training and are yet to play any games. Will have to wait and see.

GPSGPSGPS

Frank Nicholson (4)
TT - It is one of my pet hates in Rugby at the moment, a prop slips over in a scrum and gets penalised and his team potentially loses the game, I don't think something like that should ever decide a game, unless it happens 4 or 5 times in a row. Surely just award a half arm??

I don't think that even the most one eyed GPS Fan could argue that Easts had the dominant scrum on Saturday so I do agree it was a strange decision that should of costs Easts the Game.

29 penalties and 5 yellow cards, just a typical afternoon with Simon Moore. Once the tape as reviewed I am hoping he is dropped to reserve grade and both teams copped some awful decisions. The most comical to me being when he penalised GPS for a Shepard when they were on an open field run and ran behind an Easts player!! Last time I checked you can run behind an opposition player!?!?

T

Tigers Tale

It was a tough day for GPS out at Easts. I won't say much about the Premier game as my thoughts have already been echoed in other posts but it was a very disrupted game. Not ideal rugby. Still, encouraging for a GPS supporter as a lot of the blokes who played are new to the club and pending injuries in the Reds etc there should be a few guys filtering back over the year. Full credit to Easts for battling it out. I believe several Reds will be available for all clubs this weekend due to their bye round.

Dammers is putting a strong focus on winning the Doherty Shield this year so luckily GPS managed to pickup a few wins under the lights after Prem grade and also got up in Prem Colts.

Big Dog apparently Dammers had words with Simon Moore after the game in front of the grand stand on Saturday - did you see or hear anything on that front?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TT from where I was and what I heard, Dammers had a discussion with Moore after the game to clarify some of his decisions. Specifically Mitch King's yellow card. Obviously no one was happy with the referee but I don't believe the discussion was malicious in any way.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
interesting snippet from the consideration of the Gill 'turnover' of Nic White:

"Mitigating factors taken into account for determining final sanction include the player admitted the offence. He has an exemplary disciplinary record having never been cited before and has represented Australia at both U20 and Test level. His contribution to rugby in general has been outstanding and he clearly expressed remorse for committing the offence and for having tarnished his record with this incident. I considered a 50 per cent reduction in suspension was appropriate after taking these mitigating factors into account. As a result, a two-week sanction was considered to be appropriate.
"The player's playing schedule is such that the Reds have a bye during Round 6 of Super Rugby followed by a match against the Lions on 27 March 2015. The player was scheduled to be released to play in a club match for his club side Sunnybank in the Queensland Premier Rugby Competition. I asked for direct evidence from the Reds representatives as to the history of Reds players being released to play in club matches and whether other players are also scheduled to play in the bye round.
"The Reds submitted that a bye week at this stage of the season meant players still needed match practice and they would be releasing contracted players to play during the Reds bye. The player himself has played a number of times for Sunnybank when available over recent seasons. Sunnybank play a match on 21 March against Brothers in the Queensland Premier Rugby competition. I accepted that this club match be included in the suspension period and would make a meaningful sanction for the player.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting that the Reds intend players to play during the bye week but have so far held back virtually all their extended squad and 20s players from playing for their clubs. I'm glad it got Gill a reduced sentence, but I highly doubt that with the current oft-cited injury toll (you know, the injury toll apparently behind RG's record) any Reds players would be allowed to risk injury playing for their clubs.

T

Tigers Tale

Thanks Big Dog - so it was nothing like the Moore & Richards discussion after the Easts v Souths game last year.

Moore can clearly test us all.

T

Tigers Tale

Cat_A - I would be very surprised to see many of the Reds 23 or the ETS players running out for their clubs this week given the injury toll.

Back in the Ewen days I know that Quirkie, Toua, Butler & Enever were all withheld from club Rugby if a Reds player in their position was injured in a Friday night S15 game, on the basis that they be required by the Reds the following week.

From my recollections the modus operandi of the Richard Graham era has been that they are withhold from playing for their club if they are close to selection, even if they have sat on the Reds bench for weeks without taking the field (e.g. Paraka last year).

I just can't see that changing and that there be a whole swag of Reds running around for their club side this Saturday - I know one thing and that is that no Reds contracted player will play for Easts this weekend!!!

I think the Reds have pulled a swiftie with Liam Gill - the test would be whether Schatzie turns out for the 'bank this Saturday.

I know one player at Uni won't be happy if James Hanson runs out for Uni as that will mean he starts in First grade!!

In relation to players being withheld when will the U20s be available for their clubs?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
"Reds to club rugby" four words I hate!

One the other hand, I think JOC (James O'Connor) is scheduled to come back soon. So hopefully he could run around for his respective club on the weekend.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyone have mail on how Logan are shaping up? I believe QRU regulations state if a team forfeits 3 consecutive games they are removed from the competition. Logan's 3rd grade might be in trouble, however, I did notice they got a Colts team on the park which is good news.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - is JOC (James O'Connor) been registered as a Brother player yet?

Does anyone know which clubs Thomson & Hunt have been assigned to?

I honestly hope that it is Wests & Norths.

I am even happy for JOC (James O'Connor) to link with Brothers and if not Brothers it should be Bond.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TT,

The Reds said they would announce the player alignments as of round one. I hope the information is released soon. It would certainly help clubs from a marketing perspective. Especially if young kids could come and watch the likes of Hunt, O'Connor and Thomson wear their clubs colours, even if it is just once in a season.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I daresay even if they won't be playing, most of the Reds will have been told to head out and support their various clubs. I know Anthony and Saia were regulars down at GPS last year.

For that reason I would hope the QRU make an announcement at least along the lines of 'Head out to your local club and catch up with Adam Thomson who will be watching his club Wests *(example only)' so that people know who these blokes have aligned themselves with.

In saying that, club GMs aren't kept fully in the dark by the QRU haha. I'm sure if you asked around there will be enough clues to figure out where the new guys are headed by now.

T

Tigers Tale

Spot on Filth & Big Dog - Lachlan Turner only played half a game for the Tigers in 2014 but he came to a number of other games and the juniors just flocked to him - well done him.

They associate with them and they love seeing Easts in the program or on the big screen when they go to Suncorp.

To be fair the Reds historically are good at going back to their clubs when they get the chance.

The day after the Brumbies v Reds game last year Easts played Norths - Quirke, Toua, Turner, Mowen, Butler, Mogg, Murphy all fronted up at Bottomley the next day and went out on the field and kicked the ball around with the juniors before the Prems game - well done those guys.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
TT, if you're talking about Matt Randell there not much of a chance of him playing as low as 1st grade. Uni prems often name a starting XV, and fresh reserves for hooker, back row (maybe) and a back with the rest of the reserves hanging around after reggies is finished

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
Wests scrum has improved out of sight this year with young props Jake Newell and Jono Dannaher getting the better of both Brothers and Sunnybanks props at scrum time. Can someone please explain to me how Sunnybank get a penalty from the scrum video below.

Status
Not open for further replies.