• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

We aren't going to agree TOCC , re watch the tape. .

I did, and what it showed was Sunnybank's front row were penalised 4 times and Easts 3 times. Sunnybank had 6 scrums which advanced over the mark and Easts 1.

What it showed was Sunnybank's LHP(Hirsimaki) from about the 30min mark was placing heavy pressure on Easts THP (Sanday) and he was getting driven back, AJ was holding up well against Petrowski but once the scrum started to get driven back on Sanday's side the scrum lost structure and AJ was also going backwards.

For the most part i thought the scrums were a fairly even contest, thats why i disagreed with your initial comment about Easts been dominant and the ref preventing Easts from been more dominant. In what way do you think the referee interfered to prevent Easts dominance?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A packed hill and can bar full of Brothers old boys and supporters watched the Brethren take on University yesterday at Crosby Park. University were victors 36-26. Harry Parker and Scott Gale were Uni's best. Whilst Brothers suffered with injuries and the absence of the Tongan Wrecking Ball. Overall, a pretty average game with Uni being the deserved winners.

A massive final round next week in QPR. Easts could potentially drop to third if they fail to secure a bonus point against Bond. Personally, I think the Tigers deserve a top two spot based on past form. On the other hand it does demonstrate how competitive the competition currently is.

However, the major event will be Bond, Sunnybank and Souths indirectly fighting each other for a spot in the minor semi-final. It should be a great final round in Premier Rugby.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
hold the phone --- AJ Campbell didn't single handedly manhandle a pack of forwards this week?? sorry Fritz, I am going to agree with TOCC, his analysis of what went down is pretty accurate which is surprising as I feel Sanday is one of the better if not best THP in QPR. For mine, I can only see a decline in Easts performances as the big guns (Sunnybank and Uni) are now starting to warm up for their yearly trip to Ballymore.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I watched the reply of Easts v Bank and I have to agree with TOCC - Sunnybank easily had the better scrum. The bank won a penalty against the feed with only seven players. Their scrum did weaken with a front-row interchange later on in the game.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Great day and great crowd at Crosby yesterday. Scrappy game but Uni deserved winners. More line breaks and had the Brothers lads chasing the game from the start. Interesting to see young Cam Magnay spending the afternoon on the hill with the brothers boys. I think (might be wrong?) he is yet to have a run on start with Jeeps at Prem Grade. Reckon he would look good in butcher stripes !!

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Uni dominated Brothers at scrum time yesterday including a pushover try, despite having none of their Reds players in the pack and having two of the pack pull out hours before the game.

Brothers were missing Thor and Mafi. Is Thor the difference at scrum time for Brothers or is it Mafi?

What's happened to Mafi? Is he expected back next week?

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Filth, i haven't been following the exact make up of the top four lately but I think that Uni and your boys will meet again in the GF. I actually think Brothers may be good for the title although the loss of those guys to o/s contracts may derail that - For a team of supposed silvertails, there is something beautifully blue collar in the way the Filth do things. Dont get me wrong, from an outsiders POV they still appear to be a pack of wankers but isn't that what they thrive off?

Sunnybank, they're my joker in all this - recently they were a Tom Lucas-cameo away from a very interesting result against Norths (I can't say win because they have been terrible all year) and then roll that shite they did againts GPS and then beat the much vaunted Easts team yesterday.

roll on the insults/rebuttals...

T

Tigers Tale

Well if Easts play better as underdogs then the last two losses are exactly what was called for because in most neutral minds they will start the finals at the longest odds of any of the top 5 purely based on current form.

I think round 18:
Easts def Bond;
Uni def Snbk;
Bros def Souths

Top 4 will be:
Easts;
Uni;
Bros;
Snbk.

This will open up chance for another Uni v Snbk GF but you all know one side that I would like to see there on 2 August at Ballymore.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
To all the believers and indeed the non believers, the meek may well inherit the Earth, but it will take a Tiger to lift this years Hospital Cup.

Complacency will certainly not be a problem for the Bottomley boys. UQ are certainly coming home well, as are SOUTHS .

My crystal ball sees a tight win for the Tigers vs Bond, a good win by the Students vs the Dragons, and a high scoring but close win for the Maggies vs the Filth.

Tiges then beat the Students in the Major, Filth then reverse the result vs the Maggies.

Filth then beat the Students in the Prelim by a bees dick.

Another huge crowd with a promoters dream Tigers faithfull vs The Filth .
The Battle of the Believers.

With regards to the Bank vs Tigers scrum last Saturday I felt the Referee was penalising Easts when it was the Dragon props tasting the dirt first.

Any club who plans to beat the Tigers will need to either get the same Referee or pray for parity.

I was in a great position for 6/8 penalised scrums and it was pretty clear who was going down first. I must stress that the referee didn't decide the match, he just decided it was a few more than maybe they deserved. The Tigers were there own worst enemy and I'm just glad they played like this in a round match and not a final.

For all of the supporters and players from the 5 clubs still in contention let's hope that we see good hard rugby where the players decide the outcome .

Worth noting also the performances of Bond and Wests and earlier form from Norths. GPS have shown glimpses, and if SOUTHS can retain their squad will continue to stress rival coaches.

There have been some great closely fought contests that have come down to the last play this Season. It's from this type of competition that future Pro players emerge.

T

Tigers Tale

If Easts get to the Major they will more than likely have Hoffman as ref. You would think that the Hoff will do the Major, prelim & grand finals.

So any club that wants to take out the Hospital Cup does not want to get on the wrong side of the Hoff.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Uni dominated Brothers at scrum time yesterday including a pushover try, despite having none of their Reds players in the pack and having two of the pack pull out hours before the game.

Brothers were missing Thor and Mafi. Is Thor the difference at scrum time for Brothers or is it Mafi?

What's happened to Mafi? Is he expected back next week?

Mafi has done his knee and is expected to return for finals pending Reds medical staff. I mentioned it a few weeks ago but Hunt and O'Connor have both aligned themselves to Brothers.
Selected Wallaby squad members will be required to play club rugby meaning week 1 of finals they will be available for selection come next week despite playing no previous games. Gill and Fainga'a will not be required for club this season.

T

Tigers Tale

Intruder - not having a go at you - but what does this mean I would gave thought if you weren't injured and not in the Wallaby squad that you should be fronting for your club - if so why aren't Gill, JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt, etc playing club rugby.

Just a note on the side about Lachie Turner - straight from the field after the presentation of the Welsby Cup he was seen cleaning up the rubbish left at the Easts reserve bench - I think that is a sign of a quality human being - well done Lachie.

I hope that he gets in some quality time with the full strength Tigers back line which on the weekend was down White, Hagen, Wilder, and then they lost Branfon & Mullins at the 50 minute mark.

Neville Magee

Stan Wickham (3)
Mafi has done his knee and is expected to return for finals pending Reds medical staff. I mentioned it a few weeks ago but Hunt and O'Connor have both aligned themselves to Brothers.
Selected Wallaby squad members will be required to play club rugby meaning week 1 of finals they will be available for selection come next week despite playing no previous games. Gill and Fainga'a will not be required for club this season.

Interesting insight. He has to be selected first (Mafi i.e.) It will also be interesting to see if Hunt & JOC (James O'Connor) front at Crosby.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

Most Reds players should be fronting up for their respective clubs pending injury and surgery. Currently, the Reds have a number expected to go under the knife others in rehab. Those fit are currently playing.

The Wallabies are different. Having just come off a vigorous 2 week training camp which included three session per day bodies are sore and players are still yet to have annual leave. Gill, Hunt and O'Connor have played a number of minutes throughout the season so game fitness is not really what's required of them during this period.
Body maintenance is high on the agenda this week before playing some club football next week which will have a similar structured week to those playing in the test against SA.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Intruder - not having a go at you - but what does this mean I would gave thought if you weren't injured and not in the Wallaby squad that you should be fronting for your club - if so why aren't Gill, JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt, etc playing club rugby.

Just a note on the side about Lachie Turner - straight from the field after the presentation of the Welsby Cup he was seen cleaning up the rubbish left at the Easts reserve bench - I think that is a sign of a quality human being - well done Lachie.

I hope that he gets in some quality time with the full strength Tigers back line which on the weekend was down White, Hagen, Wilder, and then they lost Branfon & Mullins at the 50 minute mark.

Turner is a very classy individual no doubt about that and I'm sure he can't wait to get back on the field and show what he can really do. I know the juniors loved him last year and he took real interest in them.

T

Tigers Tale

That's correct Reg but he is very keen to play finals footy for the Tigers.

He loves club rugby and has said that Easts is very similar to his former Sydney club - Eastwood.

He will be better for the run with the Tigers against Snbk.

We all know how quick he is - fastest footballer in Aust about 4 years ago - but he has a massive boot which will be very handy kicking for line in the finals.

No disrespect to the guys who played last weekend but Turner will enjoy playing with White at #13 and Hagen at #15.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Fritz, you must have had too many Tiger ales. To blame the Hoff and to even say that the Easts scrum had parity shows you viewpoint is biased. Sunnybank won the scrims and the game. Watch out for Bond...big improvers....maybe next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.