• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

props rules

Frank Row (1)
I was amazed at the contrast in refereeing styles between the last 2 Red Heavies games. Nigel Owens talked a lot, blew the whistle sparingly and the game flowed. The Major Semifinal against Easts was woeful. Neither side able to get continuity with unending penalties. Terrible shame for 2 good attacking sides and also for the fans who had waited late on a cold Sunday night.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I didn't like the refereeing in the Souths vs Brothers game. I believe it's Matt O'Brien?

Very unsure about himself with the whistle. doesn't have a lot of confidence. There was a few times where I thought the referee could of played the advantage but decided to blow his whistle instead for a scrum.

Other then that the Brothers vs Souths contest was far more enjoyable to watch with a seasawing scoreline as opposed to that defensive snoozefest in Major Semi Finals.

I loved the Brothers vs Souths scoreline with Brothers being in a 12 point hole (15-3) then to have a 12 point lead (34-22) only to choke away in the dying minutes to a hungrier souths outfit. There was plenty of moments where Brothers could of closed out that game but didn't. It was really a fantastic match!!!

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Great teams win close games when they're not at their best. The Tigers weren't allowed to play their best rugby by a determined UQ team.
The game was ugly and not for a casual fan. From a Tigers perspective the team has plenty to work on and will not go in to the GF complacent. I've rated the Magpies all season and they now have momentum as well.

" The Brand" must have a weekend away booked this weekend as he made very little impact on a QPR game.

Greene was probably Man of the Match in a losing team but was outstanding as he has been all season. I'd like to see him now at NRC level produce the same quality play.

Souths and UQ are very different teams and it will be a real contest.

I'm more interested in seeing my Tigers regroup and heal all their niggles and work on playing the rugby that won them the Minor Premiership.

With only Prem grade and 4th Grade to prepare for a GF it will be a mammoth day/night at Tigerland .

Good luck to all teams across the grades this weekend it's only when you finish playing that you realise how rare the chance to play in a GF is.

T

Tigers Tale

I think Easts would much rather take on Uni again for two reasons:
1. Souths are the box of chocolates option - you never know what to expect;
2. Souths have really tested Easts over the last 2/3 years - in 2014 one win each in close contests and 2015 two very narrow wins to Easts 2 points & 7.

At least with Uni - Easts will be more sure of what to expect.

T

Tigers Tale

South are on a 3 games winning streak - Wests, Bros & Bros.

If they are to go all the way will need to win 5 in a row - r they good enough?

Time will tell.

T

Tigers Tale

What are peoples thoughts on who will wear the Bris City NRC #10?

I think it should be Greene.

My issue with that is that McIntyre should play for QC (Quade Cooper) but what does that do to team allegiance given McIntyre is the incumbent BC10.

Ruck time

Bob McCowan (2)
I didn't like the refereeing in the Souths vs Brothers game. I believe it's Matt O'Brien?

Very unsure about himself with the whistle. doesn't have a lot of confidence. There was a few times where I thought the referee could of played the advantage but decided to blow his whistle instead for a scrum.

Other then that the Brothers vs Souths contest was far more enjoyable to watch with a seasawing scoreline as opposed to that defensive snoozefest in Major Semi Finals.

I loved the Brothers vs Souths scoreline with Brothers being in a 12 point hole (15-3) then to have a 12 point lead (34-22) only to choke away in the dying minutes to a hungrier souths outfit. There was plenty of moments where Brothers could of closed out that game but didn't. It was really a fantastic match!!!
Not sure if anyone has access the the last 5 mins of the Bros v Souths game on tape...my eyesight isn't what it once was, but of the 5 penalties in a row to Souths, I struggled with one of the breakdown calls, but I really didn't understand the last one, which directly changed the outcome. brothers won the defensive line out about 10m from their own line. Throw went to the back and looked regulation throw/lift/jump and was directly in front of me. I couldn't hear the refs call but the players all looked bewildered. From their Souths kick to touch and score.
I'm not whinging because my team lost....they had every chance to win it, and IMO didn't take the chances on offer. I think they lacked a bit of leadership and hopefully they have learnt that you never turn down an easy shot goal early in the second half...especially in finals rugby! Good luck to the remaining teams, it will very close.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Not sure if anyone has access the the last 5 mins of the Bros v Souths game on tape.my eyesight isn't what it once was, but of the 5 penalties in a row to Souths, I struggled with one of the breakdown calls, but I really didn't understand the last one, which directly changed the outcome. brothers won the defensive line out about 10m from their own line. Throw went to the back and looked regulation throw/lift/jump and was directly in front of me. I couldn't hear the refs call but the players all looked bewildered.

When you see the video it's clearly an obstruction. Brothers #1 at fault who blocks the Souths players trying to get to the jumper.

something

Jim Clark (26)
What are peoples thoughts on who will wear the Bris City NRC #10?

I think it should be Greene.

My issue with that is that McIntyre should play for QC (Quade Cooper) but what does that do to team allegiance given McIntyre is the incumbent BC10.

I agree - they should be the two 10's for the two QLD teams, seems weird that McIntyre, a country boy, is (or will be) playing city and vice versa for Greene.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth who from your crew will be in the NRC?

I think:

2.Sayer;
3. Tupou;
4. Hyne;
7. Beauchamp;
10. Greene;
11. Felsman;
15. Fitzgerald
JOC (James O'Connor)
Hunt

Will Beveridge get another NRC start given the season he's had?

T

Tigers Tale

The fact that Easts have made their 2nd GF in 3 years justifies their high number of NRC players last year.

I expect that the club will have a high number of NRC starters this year and IMO the bolters will be Moore(#4/6) and Milo(#7).

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
However they divvy up the Number 10s for the NRC teams isn't it good to see two strong contenders emerging who will benefit from the higher level play that the NRC should provide, which will help to prepare them for Super Rugby next year hopefully. Australian rugby needs more contenders in the 10 role but the leap from club rugby to Super Rugby seems too high for many to make in the past. I noticed that in recent weeks McIntyre had been playing fullback for Sunnybank - was this just because the position was vacant or was the SB incumbent 10 playing so well that they didn't want to change him?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm a fan of young Mitch Third from the Bank, but will let others from the club answer that question.

Agree that Jake and Sam should be our NRC 10s (and understand this may be more discussion for the NRC thread) and have no problem them switching allegiances with Jake going to country and Green playing for Brisbane. Players switch clubs all the time, as we know (particularly fans of the Reds).

I wouldn't mind seeing Third has the back up for Country with perhaps Duncan Paia'uaa there too, also as a 12 option. James Dalgleish a likely City back up, alongside Matt Brandon.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I won't say much about the GPS 3rd grade situation except for don't believe everything you hear. The situation has been twisted by a few people.

GPS lower grades were decimated by injury in the latter half of the season and as such, some regular third grade players played higher. There has then been some confusion about player eligibility for finals (as only 3rds and 4ths made it) and it looks like some mistakes have been made. Nothing malicious. The club was very open about the players they had selected and to their knowledge it was all above board. Its on the QRU now to resolve.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
Big Dog, I am sure it wasn't malicious, however the Competition Rules are easily available on the Reds Website.

I paraphrase for you...

Finals series player eligibility

1. a player must have started in at least a third of the competition matches in that grade or lower to be eligible for that grade. (ie To be eligible for 3rd Grade, you must have started at least 4 times for 3rd and/or 4th Grade in season 2015 to be eligible)
  2. If a club has all it’s grades playing finals, then the club are able to pick what they believe to be the best XV for any particular grade they like.
  3. However, if a player has started in 9 or more Premier/Reserve/Premier Colts games, they cannot play lower than Reserve Grade.
  4. If a player has started in at least 10 competition games in a higher grade/s, they cannot be selected in a lower grade. (ie If you have started 10 games or more combined in Reserve Grade, 1st Grade and 2nd Grade, you cannot be selected in 3rd Grade)
  5. A player cannot be selected in a lower grade if more than half of their starts were in a higher grade (ie. If a player has met minimum of “x” starts, yet has started 1 in Premier, 6 in Reserve, 1 in 1st Grade and 1 in 3rd Grade (9 starts in total), that player is only eligible for Reserve Grade or higher as that player has 7 of 9 starts in Reserve Grade or higher)
  6. A player must be registered with enough time to reach the required minimum games for that competition.
Dispensation
  1. Dispensation can be sought based upon injury to that player, or if the team that they would normally play for has had forfeits against them.
  2. An injury or suspension of a different player in a higher grade is not the basis for dispensation for a different player who has played in a higher grade because of his injury or suspension. (ie if a Club has injuries throughout the grades, and a healthy player starts in grades above and subsequently falls out of the eligibility for a lower grade, then that is unfortunate, but not something that you can seek dispensation for.)
  3. Once a player has played 10 games in the run on team in a higher grade/s, that player is not eligible for dispensation for selection in a lower grade team for the semi-finals and finals.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thank you runsonrum, although I am well aware of the competition rules.

As I said I'm not going to speak much about it as I believe GPS will appeal the decision and I will await the outcome. It seems though that it is not a simple matter of checking the number of games someone had played, rather some miscommunication of certain rules/grounds for dispensation occurred and unfortunately for GPS this is been the outcome. The club would not have fielded players which would cause them to be disqualified.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brothers v Souths was definitely an enjoyable game to watch. A large turnout of both supporters anticipated a hard fought contest which was definitely delivered by the players on the field.

One pass pushed and a penalty too many resulted in Brothers losing in the dying minutes of the game. A heart-breaking finish for Brothers supporters and players. Exaltation for the Magpies fans and players.

Greene was Brothers best on Sunday. Personally, he deserves a starting NRC spot. Tupou and Symes were definitely two other players of note. JOC (James O'Connor) was good towards to the end of the game. I think nerves kicked in at the start.

Souths defence was excellent. The stand out player was Chris Sautia. His intercept try got Souths back into the game. James Turner was also very good at being a pest at the breakdown.

TT really hit the nail on the head; Souths are unpredictable to the point where they might go on and win the whole thing. They have certainly been a bogey team for University for a number of years.

Brothers, in my opinion, didn't deserve to lose on the weekend. They just failed to close out the match. The result would have been cruel either way.

I stayed around to watch possibly the most boring game in QPR history. Both teams are renowned for entertaining brands of football, but sometimes you've got to win ugly. Congratulations to Easts. Paraka made all the difference. After watching him play on Sunday, I see why he is spoken highly of. Two yellow cards proved very costly for University.

Status
Not open for further replies.