• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I haven't seen any of Souths games this year (apart from some of the stream of the minor semi) - earlier in the season they didn't seem to be in the running and then they appear to have made a late run, is that correct? What made the difference - was it getting Reds players back or injured players returning? I'd like to see them get over UQ, for no reason other than they actually have a good junior club who my kids play against and getting to the final should give the juniors a good incentive to support them. I'll be supporting Easts but I get the impression that Souths are a pretty dangerous opponent.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hi. I am in Spain but I got so caught up in the to and fro of the forum over the last 24 hours I wondered at this late hour in Oz if anyone knows the result of GPS appeal on behalf of their 3rd grade. I posted before that from Souths point of view that if there has been an inadvertent administrative error that consistency should apply and GPS should be out of the competition just like in 2005 when Souths Reserve Grade had their Premiership taken away, three months after the game was played. Looking forward to hearing the result.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hi all, just so we can put the 3rd Grade situation to rest. I haven't heard anything official from the club but the message coming from the players is that the disqualification ruling was upheld. If anymore details come to light that I think can be shared here I will post them.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Does anyone think any of the QPR coaches will be in the mix for any of the vacant Reds coaching spots? You would have to think Sampson would be in the running with the job he's done with the tigers? I can't see Hedger giving up his great set up and Bond and Heenan is very contempt at Uni.

On the topic of vacant coaching positions, I see Wests are advertising across the board (Prems, reggies and colts), can anyone from the kennel shed any light on this? Are they just following process or is Byron moving on?

Are any other clubs clearing their coaching staff out? Not hearing favourable things from Yoku Road and Shaw Road in that department. Is there any word on who will replace Matho at Crosby yet? Will Carl Marshall step up or Ben McCormack even? Big loss for the filth Matho will be.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Souths seem to have a few in here spooked? They have made a late rush, good luck to them but I feel the Students will prevail and book a place against the Tiges

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
In the game against Easts, Uni's discipline was poor. Two yellow cards proved costly with 1/4 of the game being played with 14 men in red. However, this did not change the tempo of the riveting game.

Souths, the underdogs of the competition, sneaking into the finals by the skin of their teeth have surprised many. I think Souths will win. Uni supporters will be seeing this as a blessing in disguise, as this loyal poster hasn't got a tip right all year!

In all seriousness though, the Rugby Gods are looking down on Chipsy Wood, Annerley at the moment. Definitely not underestimating the Students, but they've had a good run, I reckon the Maggies will swoop on Sunday.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brothers have done well in other grade this year with Colts 1 (v Sunnybank), 2nd grade (v University) and Reserve Grade (v University) playing for a spot in the final this weekend.

1st Grade and Colts 2 are already through to the GF.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
With reference to the GPS 3rd Grade sides demise can anyone elaborate as to why the QRU upheld their DQ?

Tez T

Bob McCowan (2)
I haven't seen any of Souths games this year (apart from some of the stream of the minor semi) - earlier in the season they didn't seem to be in the running and then they appear to have made a late run, is that correct? What made the difference - was it getting Reds players back or injured players returning?

I see the main difference is Coach Brett Picone. He has instilled into his players that they are part of a club, not just a team.
This is observed by his own attendance from 8:30 am to watch 3rd Grade sweep the dew from the pitch through all grades and Colts.
Premier Grade players have matched his participation by assisting Juniors' coaches during the week, packing scrums against 3rd Grade, working at fundraisers and overall an increased social participation around the club.
This has been recognised by other grades and supporters and in turn we are there to support them wholeheartedly, as witnessed at our home game in the last round against Brothers and again at Ballymore last Sunday.
This Sunday will be the same.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Nice to hear that there is another club who instil club spirit within their team.

All of the things you mentioned are bread and butter at Tigerland.

Only three sleeps til we find out who gets a Guernsey for the GF.

Quiet in here without TT.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Nice to hear that there is another club who instil club spirit within their team.

All of the things you mentioned are bread and butter at Tigerland.

Not quite that rosy - I am involved with 2 junior teams at Easts and we have had 1 Premiers player visit to one of the teams in 4 years, and that was this year since Pat took over. That visit to the U8s went so well that the kids in the team loved the player who participated in training with them to the extent that when they saw Prems games that player was their idol.

I'd definitely like to see greater participation of Prems players with the juniors, participating in training and coming along to the odd junior game to cheer them on. The kids definitely buy into it.

Neville Magee

Stan Wickham (3)
Not quite that rosy - I am involved with 2 junior teams at Easts and we have had 1 Premiers player visit to one of the teams in 4 years, and that was this year since Pat took over. That visit to the U8s went so well that the kids in the team loved the player who participated in training with them to the extent that when they saw Prems games that player was their idol.

I'd definitely like to see greater participation of Prems players with the juniors, participating in training and coming along to the odd junior game to cheer them on. The kids definitely buy into it.

Bandwagon time.......Just ask the Brothers Junior team (Under 10 ish) from last Sunday morning about the Club Captain coming to watch them play. And this was the morning of the game v Souths in Prems.

The Adjudicator

Frank Nicholson (4)
For the sake of good rugby I was hoping GPS would be allowed to play in the prelim, the 3rd grade wests team made a lot of bad decisions with ball in hand and lacked passion on defence.
Anyone get a look at the UQ Souths in 3rd grade, if I'm not mistaken that was UQ's first loss of the season. But it's very hard not to back them this week.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Eagle totally agree on your sentiments on the impact Matho's departure leaving the Filth will have. Also agree on Sampson's quality as well and will only get better with time in the role but I think if there is going to be a promotion from the QPR coaching ranks it has to be Heenan.

The guy has been at the helm of one the comp's best teams for a fair while, has a good rapport with a lot of the Reds that play in his team and has served his apprenticeship to get a go IMO.

Not sure what's doing with Norths coaches but the situation at Yoku could be a hairy one with news of player unrest if Dammers is retained. Not really fussed how that pans out and will watch it run its course, just hope we can return to the top 4 in 2016. It was painful year for the Gallopers this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mooney back at Wests!!!!

Mooney.jpg

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
My understanding is that Heenan is comfortable with his current arrangement between work and rugby. I certainly agree he deserves an opportunity at the next level, I know people who played under him at GPS still hold him in very high regards as a coach.

In terms of player unsettlement at GPS, that was the same mail I had as well as similar at Norths, players will vote with their feet I guess as we saw with the mass exodus at yoku road this year. I'm hearing the same may happen at shaw road next year, massive unrest there from all reports. Interesting times ahead though.

Looking forward to seeing the NRC squads and the coaching developments over the next few months.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Have heard a few rumours big Dave Feao is off to one of the Sydney NRC teams, any of our Souths supporters able to confirm or not? Would be a shame to see the big bopper move on and not in a gold City jersey this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.