• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Wasn't the Logan to Premier announced previously? or was that they were joining Prem Reserve?

They will be a happy addition to the comp. Have great facilities and could be used to capture the hearts and minds of families in the Logan area. I recon more of them would be interested in watching Logan play in Prems than the Reds play at Suncorp, unless it's playing the Cru.

I actually think they wont have a huge impact on other club as there is so much talent in the area. The major issue for other teams will be the local Logan players will stay and play in Logan.

T

TOCC

Wasn't the Logan to Premier announced previously? or was that they were joining Prem Reserve?

They will be a happy addition to the comp. Have great facilities and could be used to capture the hearts and minds of families in the Logan area. I recon more of them would be interested in watching Logan play in Prems than the Reds play at Suncorp, unless it's playing the Cru.

I actually think they wont have a huge impact on other club as there is so much talent in the area. The major issue for other teams will be the local Logan players will stay and play in Logan.

I think the biggest impact will be on Sunnybank and possibly Souths.. Sunnybank have had free reign over the Logan catchment for decades, this will introduce added competition for recruiting those players. Souths also recruits a bit from the region but obviously not as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Where's Toby White from Easts this season?

Injured at the moment, I think he is due back in 4 or 5 weeks but someone closer to Easts will know more. Also I am pretty sure Matt Brandon hasnt retired just out injured at the moment. He should be back in the next week or 2 from what I have been told

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Are Wilder and Falkner still running around at Easts? They may head back to Logan as both were juniors.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Think young Wilder still running with Easts, he got a lot of mates there, not sure Joel Faulkner, he was playing a lot of 7s when I last spoke to him. Got a couple of young fellas from Logan just joined Wests this year, believe they made Prems ( though not sure) , will see what happens next year, who will try and angle back in, but to be fair although the Dragons and Pies tend to pick up most of our good players, they do tend to drift to a few clubs. Would be good to see the likes of Sef Fagase being able to register as a Logan player again, even though he would never play for the club because of S15 etc, but he still wanders down to club on training night to have a look at things.

QPRtv

Frank Row (1)
The QPRtv page was started as an avenue to showcase and share the talents in Queensland Premier Rugby. The page was simply a way to build a community of fans for each individual club and give more exposure than a mere 3 minute clip a week the QRU give to the Premier competition. However, the QRU have stepped in and made it clear they don't need any help promoting the game. Therefore, unfortunately we will have to cull back on content added however we will continue ahead on our Instagram page until they shut that down as well.

Stronger as one has no meaning unless the ARU or QRU are making money off us. At least the QRU are winning off the field.

Reactions: LMU

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
At least the QRU are winning off the field.

In what sense do you mean?

Whilst not a man with a great financial mind but I would say that the $1.6M loss before depreciation disclosed at the QRU AGM last weekend would suggest otherwise!!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I suspect he's being sarcastic. Qprtv what did the QRU say? Can you copy the email or whatever?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Reg it is ridiculous that QRU would pull the rug on QPRtv when they are saying that QPR will be either on 7 or 10 next year free to air.

I would have thought an entre of QPR to a broad audience in 2016 would only help 2017 ratings.

Not for one moment is this s criticism of QPRtv and what they set out to do.

Where is Courtney Barker's weekly wrap?

Hard core Rugby supporters in Brisbane are only being held on through club & school rugby so the more exposure we see the better.

Sorry for being a QRU antagonist this week but it's pretty simply we want support for grass roots rugby in Qld.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bulldog I'm not sure you're actually reading my messages. I asked QPRTV what he was told by the QRU.

I'm keen to understand what was said before I judge.

I also suggested to you that his throw away line about the QRU doing well off the field was sarcastic.

As for the weekly wrap. It's happening. Back to being hosted by Micheal Atkinson. Here's the last one

I suspect the new one will come out tomorrow or Friday.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Think young Wilder still running with Easts, he got a lot of mates there, not sure Joel Faulkner, he was playing a lot of 7s when I last spoke to him. Got a couple of young fellas from Logan just joined Wests this year, believe they made Prems ( though not sure) , will see what happens next year, who will try and angle back in, but to be fair although the Dragons and Pies tend to pick up most of our good players, they do tend to drift to a few clubs. Would be good to see the likes of Sef Fagase being able to register as a Logan player again, even though he would never play for the club because of S15 etc, but he still wanders down to club on training night to have a look at things.

Just because players grow up in the region does not mean they'll immediately return on mass - they'll have their own rugby progression ahead of the interests of Logan RFC.

I'd be very surprised if Joel Faulkner (BSHS), Sef, or Jonny Wilder(Villa) jumped back to Logan, that doesn't mean that they won't succeed because they simply don't need these type of guys to succeed because I perceive there is a big talent pool out their way to draw upon.

Clubs that have played lower grades rugby at Logan for 15 odd years will vouch for what a tough road trip to Logan is.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agreed Bulldog. For any players who play rugby at school - particularly GPS and AIC boys they aren't going hesitate between switching to the premier comp with whatever club their school mates are playing for c.f. going back to the club the played under 13's with.

I played at a suburban junior club from 6-12 and didn't hesistate jumping to one of the bigger clubs, purely because my mates were there and was doing uni and work etc in Brisbane so it made the most sense.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hell I not assuming that or even thinking Johnny Wilder or Joel Faulkner would return to Logan, as you rightly say Bulldog they have moved on, got mates where they are playing etc, though I would be a little surprised if we didn't see Sef back at club, though would only be as a guest anyway as super players don't play club rugby with NRC etc, as I said we still Sef down at club occasionally.
There is one thing I think most at Logan realise is that no one is going to automatically come to club, but as I said there a couple that have just joined other clubs in last year or 2 that left because there was no grades high enough to test themselves, and as we see them at club quite often.
The old days that I enjoyed where players had loyalty to clubs is long gone I think, hell I talking about when you didn't change clubs more than once in your life (unless you moved away), and your family belonged to club, so sons usually played at same club as their Fathers.(and pleased to say my club in NZ my son, grandson, and most nephews all played there)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Something I've been wondering for a while, but have never asked.

What is the origin of the 'Filth' nickname for Brothers? It sounds like it could have a good story behind it?

Figured this would be the best place to ask. Any Brethren Old Boys care to fill me in?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Something I've been wondering for a while, but have never asked.

What is the origin of the 'Filth' nickname for Brothers? It sounds like it could have a good story behind it?

Figured this would be the best place to ask. Any Brethren Old Boys care to fill me in?

**incoming BS story** One of the old blokes (played A grade in the 70's) down at the club bar once told me it came from a match back then, where a player got seriously injured and some of the Brothers players then swore and spat on him while on the ground, which allegedly included a number of well known Qld reps. According to the story the bloke never played rugby again and had limited use of his legs.**end BS**

To me it sounds like absolute crap though. I always thought it was because Brothers has always played tough, albeit dirty, rugby, with a win at all cost attitude, as well the fact that they were by far the most successful club in Brisbane which breeds a bit of jealousy.

Still hate them though...

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
**incoming BS story** One of the old blokes (played A grade in the 70's) down at the club bar once told me it came from a match back then, where a player got seriously injured and some of the Brothers players then swore and spat on him while on the ground, which allegedly included a number of well known Qld reps. According to the story the bloke never played rugby again and had limited use of his legs.**end BS**

To me it sounds like absolute crap though. I always thought it was because Brothers has always played tough, albeit dirty, rugby, with a win at all cost attitude, as well the fact that they were by far the most successful club in Brisbane which breeds a bit of jealousy.

Still hate them though.

That'll do! Cheers!

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
Capture.PNG
Just because players grow up in the region does not mean they'll immediately return on mass - they'll have their own rugby progression ahead of the interests of Logan RFC.

I'd be very surprised if Joel Faulkner (BSHS), Sef, or Jonny Wilder(Villa) jumped back to Logan, that doesn't mean that they won't succeed because they simply don't need these type of guys to succeed because I perceive there is a big talent pool out their way to draw upon.

Clubs that have played lower grades rugby at Logan for 15 odd years will vouch for what a tough road trip to Logan is.

May not mean they'll come racing back, but at least it looks like one player is certainly excited about Logan coming back..
Will be very interesting to see how things pan out over the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.