• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not that different. I suppose it takes a lot for the depth of the club to change. Unlike prems a few key players and a coach wont affect that.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
How do other clubs monitor reserve grade substitutions?

Something looked a little fishy to us vs Souths on the weekend and I checked the video and they used 10 in total, which included 2 sideline jersey swaps.

There is only the ref as the sole match official so its not up to him to monitor.

Not that we deserved to win or anything, but just thinking of moving forward and how it can be monitored?

Managers using the cards and exchanging with each other for each substitution?

There was 1 blood (not included in count) and 1 forced front row sub (not included in the 10) The front rower who was told to "go down" right in front of me as he jogged to a scrum. Ankle injury and had to be replaced :D

Thoughts moving forward?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
How do other clubs monitor reserve grade substitutions?

Something looked a little fishy to us vs Souths on the weekend and I checked the video and they used 10 in total, which included 2 sideline jersey swaps.

There is only the ref as the sole match official so its not up to him to monitor.

Not that we deserved to win or anything, but just thinking of moving forward and how it can be monitored?

Managers using the cards and exchanging with each other for each substitution?

There was 1 blood (not included in count) and 1 forced front row sub (not included in the 10) The front rower who was told to "go down" right in front of me as he jogged to a scrum. Ankle injury and had to be replaced :D

Thoughts moving forward?

I did see that, and the props were being subbed at an unbelievable rate when the Souths scrum was getting demolished. From my knowledge the only person who has any control over subs is the Referee, and the QRU doesn't retroactively look at in game issues other than foul play.

I think all Premier competitions, that is Prem Colts, Prem Reserves and Premiers, should all have appointed AR's by now. You have a three man team who works a game as on field referee each, with the other two looking after the sidelines, plus any rule infractions. They already do that for Premier Grade, why not just extend I think that's the only way to make sure that all the Prem comps?

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I did see that, and the props were being subbed at an unbelievable rate when the Souths scrum was getting demolished. From my knowledge the only person who has any control over subs is the Referee, and the QRU doesn't retroactively look at in game issues other than foul play.

I think all Premier competitions, that is Prem Colts, Prem Reserves and Premiers, should all have appointed AR's by now. You have a three man team who works a game as on field referee each, with the other two looking after the sidelines, plus any rule infractions. They already do that for Premier Grade, why not just extend I think that's the only way to make sure that all the Prem comps?

Suburban competition does this better then Premier Rugby - each team has to have a qualified Assistant Referee for every game (home or away). Home team provides a match day official who gives each team their 8 substitution cards. When a legitimate substitution (not blood or front row) is made the manager gives the official a substitute card - once all cards are used them no more subs.

Its not a perfect system but it seems better than any system currently in use with Premier, Prem Reserves or Prem Colts.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Suburban competition does this better then Premier Rugby - each team has to have a qualified Assistant Referee for every game (home or away). Home team provides a match day official who gives each team their 8 substitution cards. When a legitimate substitution (not blood or front row) is made the manager gives the official a substitute card - once all cards are used them no more subs.

Its not a perfect system but it seems better than any system currently in use with Premier, Prem Reserves or Prem Colts.

It really is a no brainer... But when have the high-up rugby people used their brains???

GPSMick

Bob McCowan (2)
While we are on the subject of props I believe Bond Uni have started a couple of games uncontested in premier reserve grade this season. Apparently if you start uncontested in premier reserve grade you don't have to drop a player down to 14 men? When did the rules change?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
While we are on the subject of props I believe Bond Uni have started a couple of games uncontested in premier reserve grade this season. Apparently if you start uncontested in premier reserve grade you don't have to drop a player down to 14 men? When did the rules change?

I'm pretty sure that's always been the rule if you start a game uncontested. However it has changed that during the game if you go uncontested you no longer have to drop a player.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think you'll find that although most coaches and clubs are honest, the substitution policy gets abused more that one would think in teams which are below Premier Grade.

I have been involved in a few instances of non-Premier Grade teams where the QRU have been contacted about excessive substitution use in a game and their response was simply 'sorry but if the ref hasn't spotted it/reported on it then there is nothing to be done', which is fair enough considering the circumstances as otherwise its just a big game of he said, she said.

Rugby is supposedly the gentleman's game and 99% of the interactions I've had with opposition players, coaches, managers and spectators have been more than amicable. I don't believe it would it would be too much to ask that as a team makes a substitution they let the opposition manager know so they can mark it off on a subs list? Or some similar procedure. The problem though is that is still relies on both parties being upfront.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
That's awesome the subbies have that system in place. Simple and affective.
Prems use the cards through the 4th official, but there is nothing for Reggies or Prem Colts from what I can see or have experienced.

A home club provided "Game Manager" to sit on the sideline and all subs to go through them would be a great way to help. Maybe they have a whistle and once there is the stoppage in play, they can blow it to alert the Ref to Subs coming on and off since they aren't wired up to the Ref.

OR the managers just get together before the game, swap a set of cards and slowly feed them back as the subs are made. Might be the quickest and easiest solution.

I know the Refs from the lower grade games usually grab a flag and run touch sometimes for Reggies, but that is not always the case and the poor Ref has to basically keep an eye on everything.... no wonder the miss some things at tackled ball time :D

In regards to uncontested, to confirm:

So you can start a game contested, but if there is an injury to a front rower and no suitable substation, you can replace the front rower with a flanker/winger etc and you can still play with 15?

BUT if you have to start the game uncontested, you have to start with 14 and stay with 14 for the remainder of the game.

If that's the case... may as well just teach some fit & fast backs to lift in the lineouts ;)

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
I think you'll find that although most coaches and clubs are honest, the substitution policy gets abused more that one would think in teams which are below Premier Grade.

I have been involved in a few instances of non-Premier Grade teams where the QRU have been contacted about excessive substitution use in a game and their response was simply 'sorry but if the ref hasn't spotted it/reported on it then there is nothing to be done', which is fair enough considering the circumstances as otherwise its just a big game of he said, she said.

Rugby is supposedly the gentleman's game and 99% of the interactions I've had with opposition players, coaches, managers and spectators have been more than amicable. I don't believe it would it would be too much to ask that as a team makes a substitution they let the opposition manager know so they can mark it off on a subs list? Or some similar procedure. The problem though is that is still relies on both parties being upfront.

I think the biggest problem is that some people just want to win. And they will do anything to make sure they win. Having appointed or independent sideline officials would scratch those problems out straight away.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm sure we will see some interesting tactics against team like UQ, Brothers and potentially Easts when the Reds players return to action over the next couple of weeks

IQ: Faagase, Maafu, Reuben
Brothers: Thor, Mafi, Talakai
Easts: Paraka, Ready, Sanday

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm sure we will see some interesting tactics against team like UQ, Brothers and potentially Easts when the Reds players return to action over the next couple of weeks

Early call. But with Ben Hyne back from Brumby land + front 3 above + Greene all available Brothers will be hard to beat. Prem Res will be envy of most Prem teams. Bold prediction but Filth to contest all GF's top 3 grades and all Colts GF's. (Colts with quite a few back from rehab soon by all accounts)

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)

Faagase at LH for UQ v Talakai at TH for Brothers next weekend will be some battle.

Maafu for UQ v Mafi for Brothers will also be a great battle.

Reuben at TH for UQ v Brothers LH (won't be Thor as he's still not back) will be pretty one sided I think.

If you like scrums this might be one not to miss.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nella may be back for next week.

Bros will also have L. Tui in the 2nd row at some point this year. An enormous tight five is looming.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
June Test Break: June 11 - June 25 (Round 13-R15)
World U20s Final: June 25 (Round 15)
Reds final game: July 15 (Available week one of Finals)

So, the Reds players will be available for three games - R13, R14, and R15.

The Australian U20s will presumably be available from R16.

By the first week of finals, all clubs should be at peak strength.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
June Test Break: June 11 - June 25 (Round 13-R15)
World U20s Final: June 25 (Round 15)
Reds final game: July 15 (Available week one of Finals)

So, the Reds players will be available for three games - R13, R14, and R15.

The Australian U20s will presumably be available from R16.

By the first week of finals, all clubs should be at peak strength.

Reds play tomorrow and then don't play again until 1 July so Reds players potentially available for round 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15.

And then from week one of finals as you say.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
With NRC following on it will be interesting to see how many and who make themselves available to play club footy.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Why are Premiers playing at the same time as the Reds? Surely there could have been some adjustment once the Reds game allocations were known way back when.

Status
Not open for further replies.