• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Gee it is quiet I understand that GB, Filth, SX & I have gone to ground with our seasons over but I am surprised that we haven't had more chirp from Yoku Rd.

Can the Gallopers break their 21 year drought?
Still getting over our end of season celebrations/chaos from the weekend

The 4 best teams throughout the season played finals, the 3 best of them are still involved.

Wests 2016 to 2017 story has been pretty impressive to follow.

Sunnybank have sort of just gone about their business and also had a great year.

GPS also have had a turnaround season after the Dammers debacle. I wonder if Souths taken that into consideration now he has a hold of their colts program?

UQ were amazing all year, great attacking footy with an amazing young stable, but I always said they will slip up, and GPS have been the ones to provide the banana peel!

GPS to win it over UQ in the final.

The closeness of the comp has excited me all year and 2018 is picking to be another great year!!

I just hope any Reds fringe players, aren't held back "just in case" and the ones that aren't in the 23 are sent back to club, strengthening not only club footy, but also the Reds so they have match ready players!

Good luck to all still involved and congrats on your successes this year!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Look as much as it hurts them at Logan - they just haven't shown that they can step up into QPR.

When Sunnybank made the step up back in the 1980's they played/dominated the reserve grade comp for a year or two before being admitted into the first grade ranks.

It is not as if the Logan side that played Premier Reserve grade this year excelled finishing stone motherless last with 3 wins and a points differential of -358 (equates on average to a 20 loss every time they stepped out).

I'd be interested to know how many premierships Logan have won over the years because you couldn't say they haven't consistently dominated the lower grades.

I appreciate that guys with exceptional talent need to move to QPR clubs but for my mind too many battlers (coaches and players) have chosen to move to QPR clubs but ultimately ended up involved in lower grade at those clubs when they could have stayed at the Saints playing in a similar grade and making the Saints a stronger club.

Here is a suggestion let's get the Saints to work on putting together a successful colts program over a number of years and then they will establish a core group of players that can filter up into successful lower grades and then into QPR.

Here is one a bit more controversial if we want an even number of clubs in QPR then let's kick Bond out and Logan and Bond (even Ipswich) can play in a beefed up "Gold Coast/SEQ Premier Grade" competition.

The QC (Quade Cooper) NRC side can still be based at Bond. Over time players from the SEQ Premier Comp might find there way into the QC (Quade Cooper) NRC system.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Not a bad idea.

Rehashed idea, but could also look at adding a Ipswich team or Toowoomba?

Would those communities get behind a team??

T

TOCC

Bond Uni don't fund the rugby program so they can play in the local rugby comp, you kick them out and that's forgone investment in rugby on the Gold Coast. It would be a kick in te guts to Gold Coast Rugby.

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
1996 Grand Final

Souths

1. Nick Stiles
2. Michael Foley
3. Andrew Johnson
4. Garrick Morgan
5. Stefan Luke
6. Brett Robinson (C)
7. Toutai Kefu
8. Mark Connors
9. Brett Johnson
10. Tyron Mandrusiak
11. Tomo Boston
12. Tim Horan
13. Jason Little
14. Damian McInally
15. Mark Bartholomeusz

Jeeps

1. Scott McLean
2. Christiaan Knapp
3. Jason Reilly
4. Brent Cockbain
5. Matt Morahan
6. Mark Murray (C)
7. Andrew Coombe
8. Matt Cockbain
9. Brendan Dwyer
10. Ryan Craig
11. Ben Tune
12. Daniel Herbert
13. Ryan Constable
14. Mepi Faoagali
15. Roger Leeson

In 1996 Souths were aiming to extend a lead over Brothers by winning 6 straight grand finals - at that time, Brothers (1980-84) and Souths (1991 -95) were tied on 5. In fact, the Magpies were aiming to tie with Randwick who won 6 straight Shute Shield finals (1987-1992).

Jeeps were aiming to win their first premiership since 1972 where they beat University in that game 23-18.

Jeeps ran out winners 12-6. Souths still went on to dominant the '90s.

T

TOCC

Toowoomba(Darling Downs) have a healthy rugby comp without joining Brisbane, and whilst a Darling Downs team could muster a team to be competitive in the QPR, it would be a logistical nightmare. Darling Downs players are spread from Warwick to Roma, that's literally a spread of 400-500km.

Daring Downs Rugby is a real strength in some towns like Goodiwindi and Dalby, where it's the major event in town for that weekend. In some towns the rugby was also used as a community service and means to reverse the trend of depression and suicide in some of the younger kids

I don't see much to gain by including Toowoomba in the short term, can't speak for Townsville, but I imagine the financial costs would make it a cost prohibitive.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Toowoomba(Darling Downs) have a healthy rugby comp without joining Brisbane, and whilst a Darling Downs team could muster a team to be competitive in the QPR, it would be a logistical nightmare. Darling Downs players are spread from Warwick to Roma, that's literally a spread of 400-500km.

Daring Downs Rugby is a real strength in some towns like Goodiwindi and Dalby, where it's the major event in town for that weekend. In some towns the rugby was also used as a community service and means to reverse the trend of depression and suicide in some of the younger kids

I don't see much to gain by including Toowoomba in the short term, can't speak for Townsville, but I imagine the financial costs would make it a cost prohibitive.
Townsville is a little too far.

Don't know much about Darling Downs rugby, but does the Uni out that way have a team?

Just thinking of 1 club type team, not a rep side.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bond Uni don't fund the rugby program so they can play in the local rugby comp, you kick them out and that's forgone investment in rugby on the Gold Coast. It would be a kick in te guts to Gold Coast Rugby.

How so I am saying that the club's playing in the GC Comp are the base of SEQ Premier Rugby then add in Bond, Logan, Ipswich, Toowoomba. That way you are lifting up the GC clubs and then giving guys from Logan, Ipswich, Toowoomba an opportunity to play a higher standard rugby week to week.

I can't see the return on investment you are talking of - I would suggest that the old Breakers have a better record than the Bond Rugby club. How long have the GC side played as Bond? In that time I don't think they have played a premier grade semi as Bond. I appreciate that they have won Reserve grade & Prem colts premierships but for all the money thrown in by Bond it hasn't transformed into Premier grade success.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Leave Toowoomba out then and have GC clubs, Bond, Logan & Ipswich.

There you go take that off to the next QRU board meeting and get it signed off.

It can be SEQ premier rugby and we can then have a South West Qld (SWQ) premier rugby based on the existing Toowoomba comp.

Have a NQ premier rugby comp too.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
What about the Sunshine Coast again? It would need to be an established club like Noosa take over. Biggest issue the Stingrays had is that the best players on the coast didnt want to play and those who did if they didnt make the 23 they wouldnt play rugby at all over the weekend.

T

TOCC

How so I am saying that the club's playing in the GC Comp are the base of SEQ Premier Rugby then add in Bond, Logan, Ipswich, Toowoomba. That way you are lifting up the GC clubs and then giving guys from Logan, Ipswich, Toowoomba an opportunity to play a higher standard rugby week to week.

I can't see the return on investment you are talking of - I would suggest that the old Breakers have a better record than the Bond Rugby club. How long have the GC side played as Bond? In that time I don't think they have played a premier grade semi as Bond. I appreciate that they have won Reserve grade & Prem colts premierships but for all the money thrown in by Bond it hasn't transformed into Premier grade success.

Because that's a ficticous comp, Logan and Ipswich are well below QPR level.. Bond Univeristy won't continue to fund all the scholarships, coaching staff, sponsorships and facilities if they are going to be playing in a competition which is a level below QPR.

Cutting the Gold Coast from the QPR would be a step backwards for QLD Rugby, not forward..

T

TOCC

Leave Toowoomba out then and have GC clubs, Bond, Logan & Ipswich.

There you go take that off to the next QRU board meeting and get it signed off.

It can be SEQ premier rugby and we can then have a South West Qld (SWQ) premier rugby based on the existing Toowoomba comp.

Have a NQ premier rugby comp too.

What is a SWQ comp comprised of? Toowoomba and the Darling Downs aren't the same thing, only 3 of the 9 teams are from Toowoomba(4 if you include Highfields).

You realise it's over 400km from Goondiwindi to the Gold Coast, Goondiwindi being the team to feature in of the past 10 Ridon Cup Grand Finals..

T

TOCC

Townsville is a little too far.

Don't know much about Darling Downs rugby, but does the Uni out that way have a team?

Just thinking of 1 club type team, not a rep side.

USQ have a team, but they are far from a powerhouse, dominated in the early 2000s but haven't had much success in the past 10 years. UQ Gatton had joined back up in recent years after a hiatus, but like UQ struggle to really make an impact.. as mentioned above, Goondiwindi is the true powerhouse of Darling Downs Rugby.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
TOCC for the amount of money that Bond is "investing" it really isn't bearing fruits. Do we really need them? I don't think so. We have this NRC comp which is more a focus on regional footy as opposed to the local club scene.

What a shame that one of our NRC teams #QldCountry has their club name on the front of their jersey. Are the Brisbane based country boys having to drive down there for training or is that done somewhere locally like ballymore?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
TOCC for the amount of money that Bond is "investing" it really isn't bearing fruits. Do we really need them? I don't think so. We have this NRC comp which is more a focus on regional footy as opposed to the local club scene.

What a shame that one of our NRC teams #QldCountry has their club name on the front of their jersey. Are the Brisbane based country boys having to drive down there for training or is that done somewhere locally like ballymore?

Bond Uni sponsor the QLD Country team. They train at Ballymore predominantly.

Just an FYI. The Brisbane City team don't train at the offices of McInnes Wilson Lawyers.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
They still the breakers to me rugby reg.

I only asked that question because their home games in previous years were at Bond Uni. Great to see that they are taking some/most of their fixtures to regional south east qld. Very much looking forward to the trip out to Ipswich rangers to cheer on the bulldog boys.

T

TOCC

Don't need them?

I'm sorry but Australian Rugby needs anyone who is willing to offer sponsorships and staff positions to rugby union coaches and players. Bond Univeristy inject easily over a $1million(potentially $2-$3million including sponsorships) into rugby union each year, whether the fruits of their labor have resulted in premierships isn't the debate. It's about what cutting a team would do to an Investor and losing that money.

Just look at the latest AON Sevens, Bond University have taken on Ben Gollings as a full time women's sevens coach and he has been running programs on the Gold Coast for the past 6 months. Bond have also been a major sponsor of the U20s program for the past 4 years(hence the U20s camps at Bond) and Reds for the past 3 years.

Even if they had won a premiership, I don't think it would change the non-monetary value of what they have contributed to the game over the past 4 years, there has been sizeable contributions outside of the QPR team whoch have provided a boost to Australian rugby in an era when every other sponsor is deserting them..

You don't think Australian Rugby needs Bond, but it's the other way around, Bond don't need Australian Rugby. They could have furthered their brand just as far if not further by hitching their wagons to the Gold Coast Suns and the AFL juggernaut. Be thankful they didn't..

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Don't need them?

I'm sorry but Australian Rugby needs anyone who is willing to offer sponsorships and staff positions to rugby union coaches and players. Bond Univeristy inject easily over a $1million into rugby union each year, whether the fruits of their labor have resulted in premierships isn't the debate. It's about what cutting a team would do to an Investor and losing that money.

Just look at the latest AON Sevens, Bond University have taken on Ben Gollings as a full time women's sevens coach and he has been running programs on the Gold Coast for the past 6 months. Bond have also been a major sponsor of the U20s program for the past 4 years and Reds for the past 3 years.

Even if they had won a premiership, I don't think it would change what value they have contributed to the game over the past 4 years, there has been sizeable contributions outside of the QPR team whoch have provided a boost to Australian rugby in an era when every other sponsor is deserting them..

You don't think Australian Rugby needs Bond, but it's the other way around, Bond don't need Australian Rugby. They could have furthered their brand just as far if not further by hitching their wagons to the Gold Coast Suns and the AFL juggernaut. Be thankful they didn't..
Could not have put it better TOCC. Bond had 3 of their 4 teams in the play offs last year, 5 players in the Aus u20 that were in Colts last year and missed most of the Prem season this year, 10 (may be more) played Super u20's this year. The average Colts 1 age this year is 17 and they beat Sunnybank last week, 4 Super Rugby contracted players & 6 or 7 playing in the NRC not to mention the sponsorships. Why would you cut them? Southern X should run a rap sheet on a few of the other clubs and see how they compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.