• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
Has there been any whispers, rumours or facts with regard to what clubs will be getting players back from the Reds?

I heard that Easts maybe getting a whole new front row, a flanker (Wright) and a Centre/Wing (Izzy).

Anybody heard anything about other clubs?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I assume all healthy reds players not part of wallabies squad will be playing club footy. Brad Thorn has shown a commitment to match fitness (hence players returning from injury Smith/Higgers turning out for brothers/Wests respectively this year)

Plus club footy with the live streams is basically another chance to audition for a wallabies jersey in case a injury happens in squad and then a spot opens up.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Interesting. I guess in some people's eyes QC (Quade Cooper) can do little right. So be it. However, I don't think you get my point. Jets suggested that Souths should have been ahead by 20 or so points but risky plays prevented this. My point is that apart from scoring the game's only try, Souths did cross the line another 4 or 5 times, only to be called back and the try disallowed. That's about finishing, not about being "fancy" or risky. And it had nothing to do with QC (Quade Cooper) turning the ball over or his cross field kicks.

Like I said previously, I wanted Quade in the Reds. I have been a huge fan of his. He didn't have a great game against Uni. He was trying to play fancy rugby and the amount of dropped ball, due to conditions, made that hard. Souths were the better team on the day and it would have been more evident on the score board if Quade passed the ball to the backs instead of trying kick passes. I want nothing more than an inform Quade playing for Souths, it's great for Premier Rugby. I hope that he comes back from his latest setback and plays better than what I saw in the rain at St Lucia.

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
I've heard all Reds players not involved with the Wallablies or who are injured will be playing club footy over the next couple of weeks. This is a great bonus for the comp and fans. I'd expect some quality footy and a few upset could be on the cards with the influx of talent.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree with the upsets, where and who do you think will gain the most from the returning players :)

As mentioned previously, I can see a strong easts outfit being even stronger and giving South's a scare this weekend

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Has there been any whispers, rumours or facts with regard to what clubs will be getting players back from the Reds?

I heard that Easts maybe getting a whole new front row, a flanker (Wright) and a Centre/Wing (Izzy).

Anybody heard anything about other clubs?

I recon Easts might put Izzy back at #15, unless Matt Gordon who left the field in the second half v Uni is out.

It should be a cracking game Easts (3rd) v South(2nd)

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I agree with the upsets, where and who do you think will gain the most from the returning players :)

As mentioned previously, I can see a strong easts outfit being even stronger and giving South's a scare this weekend

Just when Norths get their rep players back they get a bye, seriously shows the incompetency at the QRU or whoever does the scheduling the draw for Norths to play almost every match against a team coming off a bye hurts. They have shown by their wins against the other cellar dwellers Sunnybank, West’s and Brothers they are more worthy than their ranking but punished when playing top sides coming back from a week.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just when Norths get their rep players back they get a bye, seriously shows the incompetency at the QRU or whoever does the scheduling the draw for Norths to play almost every match against a team coming off a bye hurts. They have shown by their wins against the other cellar dwellers Sunnybank, West’s and Brothers they are more worthy than their ranking but punished when playing top sides coming back from a week.

I hardly think that we are talking about a conspiracy here.

Don't get bitter get better.

Just to brighten your day won't you lose AJ Campbell to Cook Islansd's test duty after the bye?

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree that it's not a conspiracy but it's a bit of challenge considering teams get two weeks to prepare and get over any match soreness or injuries, glad we don't have that to deal with this season. I know we did a bit of extra work with the added week working on shutting down a couple of their backs which was a bonus, I'd imaging most sides would be doing something similar.
I figured that's why the comp had different match up last year with the two rounds. Interesting the QRU didn't follow the same process this year.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I like the look of the Bulldogs side for tomorrow - they should put in a very solid performance tomorrow.

It would be great to put Sunnybank in a very tough spot re qualifying for the finals given they beat us in the minor last year.

Would be nice to leave Sunnybank with the Richard Leslie trophy.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)

42 -7. I don't think the Magpies looked too scared by the pretty toothless Tigers today.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

manwithcaninhand

Peter Burge (5)
42 -7. I don't think the Magpies looked too scared by the pretty toothless Tigers today.
Correct. Souths were faster, busier and smarter all game. Their backline is phenomenal. If they can keep that crew together they are a very genuine premiership chance.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I told you the Bulldogs would be up for yesterday - great win.

Well done to Bond also - will they make teams 2-4 quiver of their finals qualification? - unfortunately no.

Its all academic - just give Souths the Hospital Cup now!!

They blew Easts off the park and they will only get better when Quade returns.

They are massive all over the park and they play with such width.

Bond will probably need to win 5 of the last 6 which include: Uni, Easts, Souths & Sunnybank.

It is going to be a cracking 8 or so weeks in the lead up to the GF on 19 August.

As for the final points table for 2018 I think it will be in order of number of wins (I'll be interested to look back on this in 6/7 weeks - I appreciate that it is a fools game to predict these things):

Wins Points
Souths 14; 67
Easts 12 or 11; 53
UNI 11; 52
GPS 9 or 10; 47
Bond 8; 43
Wests 6; 32
SNBK 5; 28
Norths 3; 21
Brothers 3; 22

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Points table after round 11

Souths 33
UNI 30
GPS 29
Easts 27
Bond 26
Wests 21
SNBK 19
Norths 15
Brothers 13

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
Well......The Souths vs Easts game was a great spectacle with some outstanding fast, skilful and smart rugby played by Souths. Unfortunately, Easts game plan and players weren't prepared for what South's delivered. South's were at a total different level.

Things I noticed (and happy to be corrected):

- Ready (Easts) was strong and aggressive and was his teams best player by a long way (IMO). South' s played a wide and fast rugby and played round him and the other forwards.
- Easts missed Gordon's strong running, tackling and aggression in the Backline.
- The other player returning (Reds etc) were hardly sighted. Izzy tried hard but needs to pass the ball sometimes instead of trying to break every line. South's had bigger bodies tracking him and he was isolated on several occasions.
- South's Scrum were solid and controlled Easts previous dominate set piece.
- The Easts Reserve Prop was injured during the 2's game and came off. He ended sitting on the bench for Prem Grade and was needed early in 1st half (due to injury to Easts Prop). Easts need greater Prop depth.
- South's back line is top class. If they stay injury free, they will win the GF comfortably. Quade to return as well :cool:
- Easts will play finals :). They will need to work on their ball running, security and set plays to challenge Souths/GPS.

Hopefully Easts can find the winning formula again this weekend against Brothers?

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
I know there are a lot of better judges than me already handing Souths the Premiership but after seeing just how strong Bond were on the weekend don't discount them from making the four and having a real crack. Really strong at home and quality players across the park. Could be a real ding dong battle for the four with five sides battling it out. Could UQ be the ones to miss out? Looks like Sunnybank are struggling a bit with losses to Norths and Wests in recent weeks.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I agree Bond are a tough proposition at present but they do need to win 5 from 6 to be a chance.

Depth might bite them over coming weeks - e.g. Hasn't Tai Ford been selected in the Cook Island test squad?

They have Uni at the Canal this weekend and then they drive up the M1 to take on the Tigers the week after.

If they win both of them I will stand up and take them seriously but I think they will fall off the pace in coming weeks.

The top 4 won't change but where they all finish will. Interestingly in round 18 Souths v Uni and GPS v Easts. Fair to say there will be a number of permutations open leading into the last round. I think Bond play Norths in the last round.

I wouldn't give Souths the Hospital Cup just yet but the Minor Premiership is their's to lose.

Reactions: dru

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
I agree Bond are a tough propersition at present but they do need to win 5/6 to be a chance.

Depth might bite them over coming weeks - e.g. Hasn't Tai Ford been selected in the Cook Island test squad?

They have Uni at the Canal this weekend and then they drive up the M1 to take on the Tigers the week after.

If they win both of them I will stand up and take them seriously but I think they will fall off the pace in coming weeks.

The top 4 won't change but where they all finish will. Interestingly in round 18 Souths v Uni and GPS v Easts. Fair to say there will be a number of permutations open leading into the last round. I think Bond play Norths in the last round.

I wouldn't give Souths the Hospital Cup just yet but the Minor Premiership is their's to lose.

The Harry Nucifora interview backdrop footage seemed to show a number of Bond tries coming from a charge down and dropped ball close to GPS line. Was their attack really good or did they benefit more from defensive pressure and bounce of ball?

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
The Harry Nucifora interview backdrop footage seemed to show a number of Bond tries coming from a charge down and dropped ball close to GPS line. Was their attack really good or did they benefit more from defensive pressure and bounce of ball?

Both. They scored a ton of points I also think that it wasn't that GPS attack faltered and Bond picked up the bits, moreso Bond attacked with their defense and forced GPS to make errors

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
With Wests having the bye I'll be watching the live stream of Bond v Uni.

My selections for the weekend are predictably:
Easts (v Bros);
Souths (v Norths)
GPS (v Snbk)
And
I think Bond with home advantage just over Uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.