• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Pretty happy about this - I've been liking O'Connor at 12, and it'd be great developmentally for Lynagh to sit inside him.

The Reds are heavy on centres though, even if they're all injured at the minute...
Are we really that heavy on centres?

Paisami, Henry, Flook, O'Connor and Annan but only Paisami and Henry are out and out centres, the rest all offer good coverage in other positions.

As it stands you're going to generally want 3 of them in any given 23 and O'Connor is likely going to be on declining minutes given his age and injury profile.

Assuming we hang onto O'Connor and Henry I probably wouldn't go signing anymore centres, but I don't think we're overloaded there.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Are we really that heavy on centres?

Paisami, Henry, Flook, O'Connor and Annan but only Paisami and Henry are out and out centres, the rest all offer good coverage in other positions.

As it stands you're going to generally want 3 of them in any given 23 and O'Connor is likely going to be on declining minutes given his age and injury profile.

Assuming we hang onto O'Connor and Henry I probably wouldn't go signing anymore centres, but I don't think we're overloaded there.
Fair point, but we're definitely heavy on centre options at the least. O'Connor and Flook are pretty level pegging with Paisami and Henry for first-choice centres now imo, and play a different style of game that seems to be working to reasonable effect (distribution vs crash and bash).

Never a bad thing to have options, of course - and as you said, there's a lot of versatility among a great number of the backs.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Pretty happy about this - I've been liking O'Connor at 12, and it'd be great developmentally for Lynagh to sit inside him.

The Reds are heavy on centres though, even if they're all injured at the minute...
I cant really see how it will benefit for the longer term.

I would expect we will not see great success until Lynagh has a couple of seasons of experience behind him, once he gets to this point it would be nice if those outside him having the same experience and have not been benched behind an aging JOC (James O'Connor).

I think it is time to let him leave, if he stays I would like some type of player/assistant coach role where he is available if needed but is primarily coaching younger players to come through.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That could be the worst signing of all time. Maybe bested by Sam Wykes for the Tahs in 2021.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair he seemed a decent signing at the time
You never hear too much about players having to do medicals here, wonder if it’s a thing. In France quite a few players have their contracts void for failing medicals.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I cant really see how it will benefit for the longer term.

I would expect we will not see great success until Lynagh has a couple of seasons of experience behind him, once he gets to this point it would be nice if those outside him having the same experience and have not been benched behind an aging JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor).

I think it is time to let him leave, if he stays I would like some type of player/assistant coach role where he is available if needed but is primarily coaching younger players to come through.
Looking at the spread of experienced 10’s across the country considering contract term.

Force: Burey and Pasitoa
Rebels: Gordon and ? (Jooste)
Tahs: Edmed and Bowen
Brumbies: Lolesio and Debreceni
Reds: Donaldson and Lynagh

It makes sense to grab Donaldson. If JOC (James O'Connor) stays, you want him at 12 and push Paisami out to 13. Flook is more threatening on the wing. Petaia on the wing with Campbell at fullback. With the injuries this season, having Henry, Suli, Dangunu and Annan covering centre and wing.

Burey would be a great pickup if he’s not committed at the Force.

Last edited: