• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If I'm a potential top 10 rugby player in my position, already earning good Japanese dollars. I'm not coming back to Super Rugby.
They may go hard at him post Lions - once the Arnolds and Skeltons of the world aren't in the picture. Suddenly his domestic value will increase accordingly. But he could be playing for Japan by that time so yep. Depends how long a young man wants to live in Japan. His family is regional QLD so maybe the longs japanese off seasons are his chance to tick that box.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
After watching his performance for World XV I think the first job of the next HC should be to try and move heaven and earth to bring Hockings back. Bloke is in unbelievable form and is still only 24.

I'm going to have to see some ID...

1668206866520-_-TS_562_Harry_Hockings_1.jpg

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
After watching his performance for World XV I think the first job of the next HC should be to try and move heaven and earth to bring Hockings back. Bloke is in unbelievable form and is still only 24.
In the match commentary there was some chat about him now being Japan eligible and likely to be picked. Something tells me that the ship has sailed.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is a bit confusing to me: https://www.world.rugby/organisation/governance/regulations/reg-8#Footnote1

Says, "The sixty-month residency requirement comes into effect after the cut-off date of December 31, 2021. The residency requirement up to and including December 31, 2021 is “thirty-six consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing”.

Does that mean anyone who had moved prior to the cut off date was subject to only 36 months? Or for anyone not capped before Dec 31, 2021 is therefore now subject to 60 months of residency?

Either way I suppose we'll know soon

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This is a bit confusing to me: https://www.world.rugby/organisation/governance/regulations/reg-8#Footnote1

Says, "The sixty-month residency requirement comes into effect after the cut-off date of December 31, 2021. The residency requirement up to and including December 31, 2021 is “thirty-six consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing”.

Does that mean anyone who had moved prior to the cut off date was subject to only 36 months? Or for anyone not capped before Dec 31, 2021 is therefore now subject to 60 months of residency?

Either way I suppose we'll know soon
If they're not qualified before 2022, then they have to do 60 months

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wouldn't mind the Reds having a chat to Jermaine Ainsley for next year, particularly if he pops up on the wallabies radar and there's a bit of assistance from RA. As far as I'm aware he's off contract and I can't imagine anyone is particularly happy at the highlanders these days.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Would be happy to have him involved, but I'd rather we signed him as an assistant under a more experienced head coach. Could be a good way of bringing in that Qld understanding and passion alongside a foreign coach like Deans.
What’s his coaching resume? Tonga and GPS school, anything else?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
What’s his coaching resume? Tonga and GPS school, anything else?
Queensland country, some success with the stingrays when they were in QPR and some time as head coach in Japan - took the spears from div 2 to promotion.

It's definitely not nothing, and certainly more than Thorn had, but my preference right now would be for an experienced club coach to guide the development of our squad. That said, there's a good argument for bringing the technical and development knowledge in through the assistant roles and having the longer horizon planning coming coming from a DoR or GM.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'd be reluctant to go with Kefu. We need an experienced coach with proven results as HC at super rugby level (or equivalent abroad) or even as an assistant at international level under a reputable HC in a high performance environment. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the job though.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Would be happy to have him involved, but I'd rather we signed him as an assistant under a more experienced head coach. Could be a good way of bringing in that Qld understanding and passion alongside a foreign coach like Deans.

this sounds like the same business case for Mick Heenan… bring him along under a more experienced HC.

Heenan/Kefu ticket in same hiearchy as the dual coach pairing of Stiles/O’Connor ???

Reactions: dru

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd be reluctant to go with Kefu. We need an experienced coach with proven results as HC at super rugby level (or equivalent abroad) or even as an assistant at international level under a reputable HC in a high performance environment.
An experienced head coach at top flight club level yes, but an experienced international assistant not so much, unless they have been heavily involved in a successful club program. The problems you have to solve and the options available are very different at super level to test level, an coach who has spent their career as an assistant for a big, moneyed union isn't going to be bringing that.

It's the biggest hang-up I have about Matt Taylor as a potential candidate, though his previous stint at the Reds under McKenzie definitely helps.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Kefu also been pretty involved with bbc rugby - I think he was director of rugby - BBC up until recently was pretty trash… if you think of some of the players that have come thru that school (Gordon’s, Howarth, Hough, HJM, Ripley) etc.

Kefu definitely worth interviewing and hearing his case.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
this sounds like the same business case for Mick Heenan… bring him along under a more experienced HC.

Heenan/Kefu ticket in same hiearchy as the dual coach pairing of Stiles/O’Connor ???
They do shape as opposite sides of the coin in a way that could see them compliment each other, but I think you'd want a very experienced 3rd coming in as DoR to sit over the top to guide and support them. Could be an option for someone looking for a steady ride towards retirement.

Harlequins certainly saw success with a shared coaching model though, so it is workable under the right circumstances.