• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Are there are veteran second rowers who might look to retire from international service after this years RWC?

I think the Reds could use someone like a Retallick for a couple of seasons, the kind of bloke who'll call you a dumb prick if you stuff up on the field, but also the first to crack a beer with you after the game and talk it out.

Some of the fades from key players like Wilson could be ironed out with having that hard-nosed leader on the park to lift everyone heads back up.
Ben Toolis (Scotland) and Jake Ball (Wales) could be good options in that vein - both already retired from test match rugby with the added advantage of being Australians and will be eligible in the next year or two so won't occupy a foreign spot in the squad. The fact that they're Australians may help with recruitment too, particularly Toolis, given he's a Brisbane boy.

I'm not sure about other foreign locks who could be retiring from test matches, but I don't think we'd be looking at someone of Retallicks calibre - the cost without an RA top-up would probably be prohibitive. Maybe Courtney Lawes, who's a few years further on but that's still a stretch. More likely someone like Leva Fifita from Tonga/Connacht, particularly if we get either Kefu or Andy Friend in the coaching setup.

A lot may depend on what happens with Jones too, but at this stage it's looking pretty likely he'll retire without ever taking the field for the Reds.

WFDS

Herbert Moran (7)
Dear Reds fans

I've been trying to return Wells to the Rebels. Even though we still have the receipt, they're unwilling.

Seeing your the only team that hasn't endured his sour faced captaincy.... would you please consider?

*Please bear in mind you forgo your right of return when you find out 2 games in he only talks a good game. T's & C's apply

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Andy Friend has to yet to announce where he'll be coaching next year... No Brad Thorn at Reds, Brumbies all coached out, good homecoming for Andy?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Andy Friend has to yet to announce where he'll be coaching next year... No Brad Thorn at Reds, Brumbies all coached out, good homecoming for Andy?
I'd be pretty happy to have him, he's around the right mark of experience in charge of club sides and has had some success (though maybe not as much as I'd like). I had figured he'd be locked down by now when he announced he was done at Connacht at the start of the season.

Apparently he's not in the mix though:
Two of the leading Australian candidates mentioned in dispatches are already out of the mix, with Connacht and former Brumbies coach Andy Friend confirming to the Herald from Ireland he will not be returning to Australia until early next year.
It doesn't feel like that should be an insurmountable barrier, but I think his off season plan was a long holiday with his wife, I can understand if he's committed enough to enjoying some rare time away from the game and won't be able to engage with the proper process that should be followed for this appointment. Still, seems like something of a missed opportunity.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Michael Cheika doesn’t have a job post RWC does he ;)
Actually he might be otherwise occupied....

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure he's the right fit. He's a successful and experienced coach, but as much as he has been an agent of change wherever he has coached he's not exactly known for building sustained success and long lasting programs. A lot may come down to cost, but I have a feeling that for the price tag he'd command we could get someone better suited to what the organisation is trying to achieve.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Isn't their coach a Queenslander too.......
Yeah Les Kiss is a Queenslander and will likely be in the conversation to succeed Thorn. He's got a solid record, but the one thing that gives me pause is that London Irish have a had major on field discipline issues in his time there and never seemed in too much of a rush to correct them. I worry that he is set to get left behind as coach by the changing nature of the game, and I don't love the idea of us getting in another coach who wants to push the boundaries there just as we have started to get a handle on our own discipline issues.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah Les Kiss is a Queenslander and will likely be in the conversation to succeed Thorn. He's got a solid record, but the one thing that gives me pause is that London Irish have a had major on field discipline issues in his time there and never seemed in too much of a rush to correct them. I worry that he is set to get left behind as coach by the changing nature of the game, and I don't love the idea of us getting in another coach who wants to push the boundaries there just as we have started to get a handle on our own discipline issues.
hmm how much is Les and how much is Rob Simmons and Adam Coleman being uncoordinated giraffes with a penchant for decapitation.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
hmm how much is Les and how much is Rob Simmons and Adam Coleman being uncoordinated giraffes with a penchant for decapitation.
They don't help but it can't have been a surprise when he recruited them. There are still plenty of other players picking up red and yellow cards on the regular too.

I don't want to rule him out entirely for it, but at the same time I'm so tired of ill disciplined teams, and I'm pretty firmly of the belief the issues go back to coaching and selection beyond just individual players in most instances.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
They don't help but it can't have been a surprise when he recruited them. There are still plenty of other players picking up red and yellow cards on the regular too.

I don't want to rule him out entirely for it, but at the same time I'm so tired of ill disciplined teams, and I'm pretty firmly of the belief the issues go back to coaching and selection beyond just individual players in most instances.
I'm just going to put this video from the weekend here in appreciation of a Cheika coached Argentinian team with Kremer, Matera and Lavini at the RWC.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm just going to put this video from the weekend here in appreciation of a Cheika coached Argentinian team with Kremer, Matera and Lavini at the RWC.

Obviously he's just got that Argentinian passion for the game

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Why on earth would people be laughing at the Reds considering Cheika for HC? It's a solid CV with plenty of experience and also lots of learning.

I'm not saying he should be dropped in without due consideration, but it would be silly not to consider the opportunity if he is actually available and interested. I'd feel pretty good if the selection list included talent like that.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Why on earth would people be laughing at the Reds considering Cheika for HC? It's a solid CV with plenty of experience and also lots of learning.
Looking at the job requirements; https://australia.rugby/about/about-us/jobs/queensland-reds-head-coach

• Proven success as a head coach at an elite level
  • Excellent understanding of the components that contribute to a high performing rugby program
  • Excellent people management and communication skills
  • Adaptability and resilience
  • High emotional intelligence

Has Chieka had a win record higher than 50% since 2015 or has he demonstrated any form of adaptability in terms of his coaching and game plans?

Chieka feels like a stop gap solution for 1-2 years, which is fine if you're wanting Heenan, Taylor or Kefu to take over.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If one of the biggest issues with Thorn is that his uncompromising nature has worn on players after 6+ years, is Cheika going to be an antidote to that, or a continuation of it?