• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If one of the biggest issues with Thorn is that his uncompromising nature has worn on players after 6+ years, is Cheika going to be an antidote to that, or a continuation of it?

It is possibly a big issue among (some) fans. I've seen little evidence the Reds management have it as a high criticality.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Well yes, he's been pretty remarkable with Argentina
When looking at the past couple of years worth of results, is it that remarkable or, have they've had some good wins followed by poor results i.e. mirroring Australia under Chieka?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would be kind of cool to see Eddie and Cheika somewhat working together - although I think he's no chance of taking any club rugby role, international head coach or backroom staff or rugby league.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Was at the Marist College Ashgrove yesterday and they introduced Pat Howard (guest speaker) as “From the QLD Reds…”

Am I going crazy or is he not officially associated with the Reds? Maybe a slip up in the narration due to some inside knowledge? Or just referencing his history in the game?

For added reference most of the other speakers were introduced with some reference about their current employment or important roles. For example there was no mention of Pat’s former employment with Cricket Australia despite there being a strong cricket presence in the speakers.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Was at the Marist College Ashgrove yesterday and they introduced Pat Howard (guest speaker) as “From the QLD Reds…”

Am I going crazy or is he not officially associated with the Reds? Maybe a slip up in the narration due to some inside knowledge? Or just referencing his history in the game?

For added reference most of the other speakers were introduced with some reference about their current employment or important roles. For example there was no mention of Pat’s former employment with Cricket Australia despite there being a strong cricket presence in the speakers.
Not official announcement as far as I'm aware. Could be involved in the coach selection process already maybe?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
JOC (James O'Connor) has restated his desire for another season at the Reds on instagram, in what was quite a reflective and insightful (if a bit 'life coach') post around his mindset and experiences this season.

Combined with Daugunu's impressive outings in the centres, it's going to make next season's jostling for position interesting. We've got some bloody solid centres now in O'Connor, Flook, Paisami, Henry, and Daugunu, with Annan coming through and Petaia also able to jump in.

Of course several, if not all, of those guys can slot in elsewhere in the backline, but it wouldn't surprise me if one of those off-contract don't get a new offer, which would be a shame.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Thorn may have been uncompromising in some of his approach - but that also accompanied the poor plan to have >80% of Reds players being Queensland pathways. Too many teenagers and club players playing professional rugby just because they are the next best available in Brisbane.

Cheika would focus on winning.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't think having the objective of 80% Reds player being from Queensland pathways is a poor plan...I think it's a good plan

How squad management was executed with senior players like ASY (Angus Scott-Young), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Tupou, Hegarty, BPA Stewart etc is the bigger issue IMO.

Also, the players just seem to be missing that last 10%, many seem to plateau short of their potential, whether a more experienced/technical coach can deliver that, it's just something Thorn doesn't seem to be able to bring.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think having the objective of 80% Reds player being from Queensland pathways is a poor plan...I think it's a good plan

How squad management was executed with senior players like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Tupou, Hegarty, BPA Stewart etc is the bigger issue IMO.

Also, the players just seem to be missing that last 10%, many seem to plateau short of their potential, whether a more experienced/technical coach can deliver that, it's just something Thorn doesn't seem to be able to bring.
Yeah, I probably harp on it a bit, but it was the loss of the NRC that really screwed things up there. That was where and when development of a lot of players inside and outside the squad started to stall. A year or two later we started to regress to filling vacancies with under 20s guys again, particularly in season, as they were the only ones who were up to speed with the program.

Without something to bridge that gap it becomes harder to rely on those club guys to step up. Additionally the NRC served as a pathway into the QLD setup - a guy like Paenga-Amosa came through via NRC after starting out in Sydney and depending on how the target is framed, became a QLD pathway product. It's worth noting the Crusaders have a similar target for their main squad and it relies on feeding the pathways from the rest of New Zealand as they can't always count on their relatively small home region to produce that many super rugby players from juniors all the way through.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)

How squad management was executed with senior players like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Tupou, Hegarty, BPA Stewart etc is the bigger issue IMO.

I think it's a bad plan if its your overarching policy. As a sentiment and a target to reflect a strong pathways system - absolutely. But I hope there wasn't a quota.

To give credit - they brought in Ravai to cover a hole that simply could not be filled locally.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ravai has been good in patches and was very good vs Chiefs. Will be interesting to see if he gets resigned for next year.
I'd hope so. He's come back so well from what could've been a career ending injury. Hopefully he's looking to settle in Brisbane post rugby and we can get a few good years out of him yet.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think it's a bad plan if its your overarching policy. As a sentiment and a target to reflect a strong pathways system - absolutely. But I hope there wasn't a quota.

To give credit - they brought in Ravai to cover a hole that simply could not be filled locally.

I think it absolutely should be an overarching policy and like Adam I think it s a very good plan. It imo needs to be much more strongly established than "sentiment". If things shake up with NZ and player availability I think it would be even more important. The Reds are not just a professional franchise they also represent the pinnacle of the sport in Qld. They represent and should look like they represent Queensland. Like other "Queensland" metrics I'm completely fine with a seriously hazy definition that is constantly adapted to expand, but the team should without doubt have a flavour that matches the sunshine state.

Regarding quota, that in itself is also not bad, though definitely needs boundaries with the ability to adapt to circumstances on the ground.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
<snip>

Adam, I don't think it's a much as 10% but whatever the %age it is that last significant bit. It is similar in the game play, some of what we do, like the kicking game recently, has levels of near-perfection and effectiveness but then fails to deliver at the whistle.

I actually wonder if Thorn has done OK in developing the players (many positions anyway) but was missing that last 10% in team coaching.

I'm hoping he sticks to rugby, he's had an incredible rugby journey so far and if he looks to EJ (Eddie Jones) he should see that the career could be considered to have just started.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Something I hope does not repeat - the Thorn entry typified by the Quade conflict but including other "problem" players. With a new coach coming in (I guess these things will depend on applicants and if no choice then there is no choice) they should be vetted on a desire to work with and to value players that have already been highly valued by the Reds management. If they don't it should be considered an irreconcilable difference between management and potential coach that writes that coach out.

At this stage we can predict that the media and the fan base is likely to get increasingly pent up over coaching announcements. While sooner is better, I hope the Reds use the time they need.