• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Something I hope does not repeat - the Thorn entry typified by the Quade conflict but including other "problem" players. With a new coach coming in (I guess these things will depend on applicants and if no choice then there is no choice) they should be vetted on a desire to work with and to value players that have already been highly valued by the Reds management. If they don't it should be considered an irreconcilable difference between management and potential coach that writes that coach out.
I honestly don't have much issue with the way Thorn handled some of the players who were put on the outer.

It's not like he had a hardline zero tolerance rule for 'bad boys' - JOC (James O'Connor) ended up being captain and honestly his behaviour over the years would quite easily be the worst of any players that Thorn gave permission to look elsewhere.

At the time of the Thorn v Quade conflict, based on his playing ability and mindset, Quade being the Wallabies first choice flyhalf for a 2023 RWC would have been 0.0002%. What Quade has managed to do with his game since going to Japan and since his Wallabies return in 2020, is genuinely remarkable. His play for the Reds and then Souths in clubland was so far removed from where he is now.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
At the time of the Thorn v Quade conflict, based on his playing ability and mindset, Quade being the Wallabies first choice flyhalf for a 2023 RWC would have been 0.0002%. What Quade has managed to do with his game since going to Japan and since his Wallabies return in 2020, is genuinely remarkable. His play for the Reds and then Souths in clubland was so far removed from where he is now.
Quade recently did a Q&A on Instagram and touched on that period - essentially, he understandably thought it was BS at the time, but in hindsight it was exactly what he needed to rediscover his passion for the game and change his mindset towards both life and rugby. Ultimately, without that happening, it's unlikely Quade would be where he is now.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
UK Rugby Press reporting Ben Meehan returning to Australia after finishing up season with Gloucester. Brisbane boy originally, and a very good halfback, hope Reds are looking at him for next year would add some great experience to squad for 1 or 2 years.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
UK Rugby Press reporting Ben Meehan returning to Australia after finishing up season with Gloucester. Brisbane boy originally, and a very good halfback, hope Reds are looking at him for next year would add some great experience to squad for 1 or 2 years.
With McDermott & Thomas signed already for multiple years not sure Reds is the right fit. Brumbies or Rebels need another 9.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’d take Meehan as the bench option over Thomas. I don’t rate UK form as an indicator they’ll kill it back here. He’ll be a solid back up.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’d take Meehan as the bench option over Thomas. I don’t rate UK form as an indicator they’ll kill it back here. He’ll be a solid back up.
Do we lose Werchon and/or Jeans if we sign Meehan? I can't see us having 5 half backs on the books and McDermott and Thomas are already signed.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Agree about the form but he has started 12/17 games for Gloucester. The team didn't have a great season but he'd do a job if Tate was unavailable.
Do we lose Werchon and/or Jeans if we sign Meehan? I can't see us having 5 half backs on the books and McDermott and Thomas are already signed.
You would lose them. Or would very much be on some sort of extended squad contract. I'm not sure if any other teams in Aus would be knocking the door down for them though.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I don’t see Meehan coming back to be anything other than primary or bench scrum half. Don’t think we would see him at a team where he would be 3rd choice. Just no money in it and he’s not quite at final stages of career yet.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree about the form but he has started 12/17 games for Gloucester. The team didn't have a great season but he'd do a job if Tate was unavailable.

You would lose them. Or would very much be on some sort of extended squad contract. I'm not sure if any other teams in Aus would be knocking the door down for them though.
Honestly, I'm amazed the Rebels haven't already snapped up Werchon - he is good friends with the Gordon's and has been playing rugby with them for a very long time. Shifted to Wests in QPR this year to reconnect with them.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Honestly, I'm amazed the Rebels haven't already snapped up Werchon - he is good friends with the Gordon's and has been playing rugby with them for a very long time. Shifted to Wests in QPR this year to reconnect with them.
It's only June, plenty of time for movement

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn't know that. Rebels should be in the market for a young 9 to bring through. Louwrens and Tuttle are what they are... Tuttle only 27 so hes in his prime now but Louwrens is 32. You'd think they would want a young Half

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Geez I didn't know Tuttle was only 27 - means he was playing NRC (and at one point captaining the Country team) when he was only 19/20.

I agree I don't think his ceiling is much higher than his current ability, but the Rebels could do worse than having Tuttle and Werchon as their halfback pairing for the next 4 years.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Coaching search update, Reds tossing up between experienced head coach or a director of rugby with a fresher head coach:

Article seems to suggest they're pretty set on an Australian, but that could just be because the premier foreign candidates aren't interested/available.

Also mentioned there is that it looks like there is an attempt to repair relationships with Piccone. What that means for Cordingley remains to be seen, probably partially influenced by the coaching model the go with.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm not against Kiss or Cheika coming in. Honestly would prefer either of those two than Scott Johnson working with a less experienced coach. Sounds like less experienced coach = Heenan as HC and whilst I want him around the Reds, I feel like we need to move past a QPR focussed coached to really progress.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm not against Kiss or Cheika coming in. Honestly would prefer either of those two than Scott Johnson working with a less experienced coach. Sounds like less experienced coach = Heenan as HC and whilst I want him around the Reds, I feel like we need to move past a QPR focussed coached to really progress.
I agree re Heenan as of right now. I can definitely see him becoming a head coach in 2-3 years after cutting your teeth in the Professional arena. It is different from Club land and you can see that with Darren Coleman. He's developing at this level after winning everything he could at the tier below. Different pressures, priorities and agendas are in the mix and I think a couple of years as a senior assistant might let all that surrounding noise become a lot easier to handle.

I'm surprised Jason Gilmores name hasn't been said as much.