• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
You guys should make a play for returning either Van Nek or Du Lutiis from the Brumbies, I think both are un-signed and you're lacking tight heads. There's a glut of promising tight heads in the ACT with Ala'alatoa, Kautai then Van Nek and now Du Lutiis too. Really Van Nek should be at least bench prop.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think having the objective of 80% Reds player being from Queensland pathways is a poor plan...I think it's a good plan

How squad management was executed with senior players like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Tupou, Hegarty, BPA Stewart etc is the bigger issue IMO.

I think the issue with the 80% is that it needs more nuance. For a strong rugby nursery it makes absolute sense from a young player perspective. Potentially more than 80% of the first time professional recruits can and should come from Queensland. You want to hold onto as much young talent as possible.

Where it falls down is that like every team you lose experienced players and can't rely on just replacing them with young guys. You are going to need to recruit experienced players who are either high end players or at least solid professionals in various positions at various times. Things probably got a bit better this year but the Reds have been pretty reliant on young stars leading the way and have lacked good experienced players rounding out their teams.

Slayer!

Herbert Moran (7)
After watching his performance for World XV I think the first job of the next HC should be to try and move heaven and earth to bring Hockings back. Bloke is in unbelievable form and is still only 24.
Hockings (a) ratted on his mates during COVID and (b) how stupid??? The bloke ahead of you (Rodda) goes and you do the same thing??? Would have been the Wallaby lock by now....

Reactions: Ged

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)
Think we should definitely look at bringing BPA home - still convinced he’s the best hooker in the country. Bring Hockings back and look to tempt Louis Lynagh to join his brother at home and push for wing depth. I’d also look to try recruit Perese home if there’s a shuffle incoming at NSW with Sua'ali'i inbound and resigning Tuipolotu.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Topping up local talent should always be part of the strategy but I am also 100% in favour of a clear strategy to draw 80% of the squad from local talent.

Whilst the loss of the NRC is regrettable I feel like the current Hospital Cup - with players from the Reds, Rebels and Drua all playing in the comp - should hopefully reduce the gap between QPR and Super Rugby although it might take a season or two to see the benefits.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
H
Hockings (a) ratted on his mates during COVID and (b) how stupid??? The bloke ahead of you (Rodda) goes and you do the same thing??? Would have been the Wallaby lock by now....
How did he rat on his mates?

My understanding was that he was at the end of his contract and they were told they would be taking a big cut in terms of pay. So he took the option and left.

Got a great offer from Japan with a pay gurantee. He has likely earned more in the past couple years than 95% of players in Aus. Seems like a pretty smart decision to me.

There was also talk about his body not quite being ready for super rugby so off to Japan to grow into his and not end up on the trash pile.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Hockings, yeah sure why not.

Lucas, I don't see the void he fills for the price he'd want. Between JOC (James O'Connor), Lawson and Lynagh, the 10 jersey has enough coverage. At 15, you've got Jock and Jordan along with some young stars coming through.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Lucas, I don't see the void he fills for the price he'd want. Between JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Lawson and Lynagh, the 10 jersey has enough coverage. At 15, you've got Jock and Jordan along with some young stars coming through.
Hocking would be a great pickup by any team but taking him home would be best.

I agree about Lucas. I'd like to see him at the Rebels in the 15 jersey to allow Kellaway to play in the Centres for them. Could see him at the Brumbies as well depending on what happens with Noah.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know this thread is all about what we hope for and maybe it's me being too pessimistic, but I feel like the gap is widening between what players can get in Japan/overseas and what the carrot would be to return and play Super Rugby.

If I'm a player or a player manager and my player is happy in Japan earning big bucks and I look back down under and see a Super Rugby competition with little to no engagement with the fans and viewership on a decline, I'm wary about what the future holds.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

Lucas, I don't see the void he fills for the price he'd want. Between JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Lawson and Lynagh, the 10 jersey has enough coverage. At 15, you've got Jock and Jordan along with some young stars coming through.
I don't think Lawson has shown much, JOC (James O'Connor) will be gone soon. Suspect Campbell will be too if Eddie doesn't show any interest.

Lucas would be a good get for the right price to cover 10 and 15 imo. He has the experience now as well.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think Lawson has shown much, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) will be gone soon. Suspect Campbell will be too if Eddie doesn't show any interest.

Lucas would be a good get for the right price to cover 10 and 15 imo. He has the experience now as well.
Creighton and O'Connor aside, Lucas would presumably be playing second fiddle to Lynagh at 10, and 15 would be hotly contested with Campbell and Petaia (and Grealy and maybe even Flook). I'm not sure that's an inviting prospect.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Lucas a good prospect in pushing Lynagh to develop and competing with Campbell. Also Lucas and McLaughlin-Philips very similar players. JOC (James O'Connor) should be a lock in at 12 and Petaia on the wing. Henry, Paisami and Flook fighting it out at 13 and bench backup in the centres.
Up front the big ? It doesn’t matter who’s in the backline if there’s no improvement up front.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think Lawson has shown much, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) will be gone soon. Suspect Campbell will be too if Eddie doesn't show any interest.

This is why they need a good coach to be appointed quickly, guys like Campbell need to be sure that a new coach has the ability to get them Wallaby level if they miss out this year.

A second rate coach will lead to departures.

I think we need to have a new coach and then a culling of players who do not appear that they will be the asset that we need into the future, I like Lawson, but hope we never have to rely on his to be our long term 10. He seems more of a journeyman type player like Heggarty was, a competent super rugby player but not a player who you would build a team around.

It may also be interesting to look at combinations when determining our future teams, has Flook had any great games where Lynagh wasn't playing? Has Campbell had great games when Petaia is playing?

I am excited at the opportunities that are available if the right decisions are made, I am sceptical that the correct decisions will be made.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Creighton and O'Connor aside, Lucas would presumably be playing second fiddle to Lynagh at 10, and 15 would be hotly contested with Campbell and Petaia (and Grealy and maybe even Flook). I'm not sure that's an inviting prospect.
I reckon Lucas and Lynagh would be fighting it out pretty hard for the 10 spot if they were competing next year. Big fan of Lynagh but he still has a huge amount of development and experience to gain. Certainly wouldn't hurt having Lucas.

Then you have injuries. I'd like to have a 2 quality 10s fighting it out than a couple of youngsters or guys who probably won't quite get there.

He has strong ties to Bris/Qld so wouldn't be surprised if he was made a decent offer he decided to come home.

Lynagh will be a long term Red I suspect. Likely till the next world cup at least. Competition breeds excellence as they say.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I only just got around to watching the QF on the weekend. It's been a real up and down year. First time in living memory I can't remember watching every Reds game. Combination of being overseas and pretty disillusioned with them earlier/mid season.

Their last couple games have shown what they're capable of and I really hope is the baseline of this group moving forward.

Thought Daugunu has been excellent at 13. A physical presence the backline needs.

Flook is going to be a very very good player come 2025 lions tour. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Ikitau 12 Flook 13 combo for the wallabies in the future.

Vunivalu, for all his haters, is showing some very good touches. It seems to me that he really just needs more game time in Rugby. I think his perceived / actual laziness off the ball stems from League where they simply don't have to work anywhere near as hard(positionally) off the ball. That will come in time I reckon. What was it, 7 tries from 10 or 12 games this year? Not bad. Eddie will be looking at him for sure.

Moving forward we really need to strengthen our prop stocks.

As said above Hockings would really compliment and strengthen Smith and Blyth in the row. Backrow is great. Good at 9. Ok at 10. Plenty of quality centres. And the back 3 is well covered.

I'd love a couple of quality, experienced leaders to come into the group. I'm not sure that will happen though.

I wasn't impressed with Annan in super at all but jeez did he show some ability in the u20s. Even the kiwis were raving about him. Big frame. Put a couple more kilos on him with that dynamicism/skill and he could be a real talent.

I think Mac and Aubry need to get a bit more game time and show something over the next year or 2. I can't help but think Mac would actually be a very good 10/15 hybrid. I've heard he has some desire to play at 10.

The back row is quality. All of Wright, Mcreight, Wilson and Uru continued their upward trajectory this year. Mcreight and Wilson in particularly had huge seasons. Consistency is key for them, as it is for a lot of young pros. The one thing really missing from Wilson's game at the moment is that collision zone. It can 100% be taught. I just hope someone at the Reds or wallabies can get it through to him. Fix that up and the bloke will be a nightmare for opposition teams with the rest of his skills.

The fringe players were all ok. They seemed to build on last year which is a good sign.

As noted above the biggest problem to solve is the coach. Personally I think we need to do whatever we can to get an experienced successful coach to come in to work with the team they have now for a few years. Not sure that will happen. I am hoping they don't throw another Super rookie into the driver's seat.

A few games this year have given me hope for 2024. A big 4/5 years coming up for aus Rugby. Very very rare opportunity for any Pro Rugby player. Hopefully that drives performances moving forward.

Last edited: