• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
This came up in the Rebels-tahs match thread, it looks like Glasgow have announced Sam Johnson is leaving at the end of the season, no word of where to next.

With 100+ professional games and 26 test caps I think he'd be a pretty good option to come home, particularly if we're loosing O'Connor to the Force. He would add a lot of experience to what remains a pretty young backline.

Assuming he doesn't get picked for Scotland again he'll also be eligible by mid 2025, so wouldn't take up a foreign spot for too long (however it is that's working these days).

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Pat Howard moving on from his business role into a position back in sports.

Any chance that he’s joining a new Reds coaching staff?
There have been plenty of rumours that the Reds have been looking at a combination of Howard and Heenan so it wouldn't be surprising. Not sure what his role would be these days, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking at him for a Director of Football or High Performance manager sort of position. Not sure how that fits with Cordingley currently.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd hope he handles Rugby a bit better than the end of his Cricket Australia run.

That partnership seems quite attractive in my mind. Does it come at the expense of Cordingley?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There have been plenty of rumours that the Reds have been looking at a combination of Howard and Heenan so it wouldn't be surprising. Not sure what his role would be these days, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking at him for a Director of Football or High Performance manager sort of position. Not sure how that fits with Cordingley currently.

Yes I would find it odd if he was already selected on a coaching panel for the Reds 2024 and beyond, when they likely haven't got a head coach yet? Because you'd think if they're looking for a top tier head coach, there would be a number of assistants that person may wish to bring with them.

Maybe a more office based high performance role is on the cards. Or maybe it's simply not with the Reds at all.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yes I would find it odd if he was already selected on a coaching panel for the Reds 2024 and beyond, when they likely haven't got a head coach yet? Because you'd think if they're looking for a top tier head coach, there would be a number of assistants that person may wish to bring with them.

Maybe a more office based high performance role is on the cards. Or maybe it's simply not with the Reds at all.
Yeah, I think there is still some sort of high performance vacancy at RA every since Peter Conde resigned. They've never really known what they want to do in that space, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was a candidate for whatever the next iteration of it is.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
This came up in the Rebels-tahs match thread, it looks like Glasgow have announced Sam Johnson is leaving at the end of the season, no word of where to next.

With 100+ professional games and 26 test caps I think he'd be a pretty good option to come home, particularly if we're loosing O'Connor to the Force. He would add a lot of experience to what remains a pretty young backline.

Assuming he doesn't get picked for Scotland again he'll also be eligible by mid 2025, so wouldn't take up a foreign spot for too long (however it is that's working these days).
It is an absolute no from me on any Australian returning to a SRAU team that has represented another country. We keep hearing the same nonsense when the likes of Hansen, Tuipolotu, Dempsey, Meafou get selected for one of the Northern Hemisphere teams of how proud they are and that it was always a dream to put on [insert country] jersey. As soon as the money dries up, they are on the first flight "home" and not likely to see out their retirement in Glasgow. There is no way QRFU or RA should be funding these players at the back end of their career at the expense players that are actually looking to represent Australia.

Reactions: Ged

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
IMG_0469.jpeg

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Hearing word Nela might be staying in QLD next year. Watch this space
Are Melbourne pulling out?

But tipping the scales at the best part of 150 kilograms, there is plenty that can still go wrong for the man they call the ‘Tongan Thor’.
“It’s a bit hard because I’m not running at the moment and trying to keep that weight off,” he said.

“I wouldn’t say I’ve been really good but I’m trying.”

I love watching him play and he is one of my favourite players but this weight gain worries me, there are ways to stay fit, or at a minimum control weight gain.

He has a chance to play a world cup and this is what happens, what attitude to fitness will he have for Super Rugby?

I wonder if Melbourne would be wondering about his dedication.

BTW, the chance of his staying a Red has made my day and is awesome.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Ahhh it's a tough gig LB especially with a long term injury, I can imagine the first few months were a bit hard mentally. Add in he's just had a kid and I can't fault him for any weight increase.

Unless he can swim, it's bloody hard to fit in cardio as a big rig with a busted leg. Those weightless treadmills might help, but there's not too many options especially if he's still trying to keep muscle mass up everywhere else.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Ahhh it's a tough gig LB especially with a long term injury, I can imagine the first few months were a bit hard mentally. Add in he's just had a kid and I can't fault him for any weight increase.

Unless he can swim, it's bloody hard to fit in cardio as a big rig with a busted leg. Those weightless treadmills might help, but there's not too many options especially if he's still trying to keep muscle mass up everywhere else.
On this, from some videos he put on IG yesterday, the guy's definitely put on a fair bit of upper body muscle mass.

Weight is weight in a sense when it comes to endurance, and I know his recent comments haven't painted a great picture, but the overall assumption that he's packed on the kegs by way of fat may be somewhat misguided.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
On this, from some videos he put on IG yesterday, the guy's definitely put on a fair bit of upper body muscle mass.

Weight is weight in a sense when it comes to endurance, and I know his recent comments haven't painted a great picture, but the overall assumption that he's packed on the kegs by way of fat may be somewhat misguided.
With Zane Nongorr doing so well maybe a 150kg+ Tupou playing for 40-45 minutes a game could add some impact.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
150kg on a dodgy achilles isn’t good long term, the guy needs to be more disciplined and drop weight, it’s that simple. For $1million a year salary, he needs to step up his professional attitude. You don’t see guys like Angus Bell and AAA blowing out their weight when injured

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
150kg on a dodgy achilles isn’t good long term, the guy needs to be more disciplined and drop weight, it’s that simple. For $1million a year salary, he needs to step up his professional attitude. You don’t see guys like Angus Bell and AAA blowing out their weight when injured

Professional attitude? He’s not running yet

he will drop 10kg in the first week if he’s committed to a proper 8/12 week challenge.

Bit of club rugby running around the park and eating protein/good Carbs… I can totally see him being in shape in no time.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Professional attitude? He’s not running yet

He was spending more time in the gym during the first month of his 'rehab' than he has been for the last couple. I think that's the main red flag that people are seeing. He has been able to work on upper body/light conditioning for a long time.