• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
I assume the question was regarding the store where the membership credit can be spent which, if I recall correctly from last season, had separate products.
Yep I meant the member only store. Would be nice to be able to see what’s on offer!

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Perhaps it's winners bias, but I can speak that for West's, numbers have gone through the roof in that last several years.

Last time I played seniors was just under a decade ago and we struggled to field 3rd and 4th grade. Now they're up to I think a 6th grade plus is it two Friday night teams?

Same with BBC, last time I saw what grade each year would go down, it dwarfs anything I had growing up.

Reactions: dru

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Perhaps it's winners bias, but I can speak that for West's, numbers have gone through the roof in that last several years.

Last time I played seniors was just under a decade ago and we struggled to field 3rd and 4th grade. Now they're up to I think a 6th grade plus is it two Friday night teams?

Same with BBC, last time I saw what grade each year would go down, it dwarfs anything I had growing up.
Wests has done very well for itself (I'm a wests supporter having played a bit of colts years ago) in that the cash injections and the more professional mindset has flourished the club.

On growing schoolboy numbers, I think this is true at some GPS schools but my sense is that the grades below 2nd XV/B team are now at a much lower standard and filled with soccer players having a go, which is great, but not really educating and converting people into fans long term. Could be wrong about that. I was leaving school just as the change came in and the players lost to basketball were significantly more talented than those gained from soccer.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

two womens teams too I believe

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep I meant the member only store. Would be nice to be able to see what’s on offer!
This is what was on offer last year, I assume it will be pretty similar this year:
1000012301.jpg

1000012300.jpg

1000012299.jpg

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Are the Reds playing Moana Pasifka in PNG next year? Was inferred on Twitter
I saw that but haven't been able to find anywhere listing that game location as anything other than TBA. Might be in the works though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rhys Sheriff signed on a ‘short term deal’, I’m guessing it’s just over pre-season to see how he goes

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting selection. I felt like our prop stocks were pretty well filled out. I wonder if someone is injured.

Also interesting that he seems to have jumped a couple from last years squad. I’m interested in the thoughts of those of you who watch Hospital Cup of the selection.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sheriff went missing in the finals series when it counted scrum wise - standout TH Prop from QPR was Christian from Brothers by far IMO, played 80mins in the GF and almost 80 throughout the finals series. But fair play to Sheriff its always good to see players get an opportunity.

Reactions: dru

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sheriff went missing in the finals series when it counted scrum wise - standout TH Prop from QPR was Christian from Brothers by far IMO, played 80mins in the GF and almost 80 throughout the finals series. But fair play to Sheriff its always good to see players get an opportunity.

Obviously the Rebs are stacked for Tightheads this coming season (Tupou, Pone, Talakai and Eloff who can swap if needed) but it's interesting that he seems to have been unceremoniously let go without another contract from anywhere.