• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I liked him at 15 more than Campbell last year tbh...

The Reds really do have a glut of versatile backs, so it'll be really interesting to see how Kiss & Co. piece it together. Don't think it's been done for a while so, for the sake of it, this is how I'm sitting after a couple of Friday beers:
9. McDermott
10. Lynagh/Creighton (can't split them at this stage)
11. Vunivalu
12. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)
13. Flook (although Paisami will likely get first dibs)
14. Campbell/Grealy
15. Petaia
I thought Petaia did his best work when he shifted back to wing to be honest. Certainly Petaia wing and Campbell fullback feels like a better use of their talents than the other way around.

It'll be interesting to see what ideas Les Kiss and Schmidt have for Petaia, it might be that there are longer term ideas about him sticking to a specific position. I know Eddie was keen on him moving to 12, though I doubt that will still be the plan.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Apologies for the league reference but Campbell reminds me of those rogue selections you’d see in QLD SOO teams, like Adam Mogg or Mick Crocker. He’s an average player but surround him with a great team and suddenly he’s the best player on the park because he brings it all together and knows where to be.

When the Reds team is humming, he seems to be in every play. It’s also why I think he either starts at fullback or doesn’t make the 23, he needs to be involved often to be most effective and find his role for the game. He doesn’t have the out and out Star power to make a big change without those involvements in my opinion.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Surprised it hasn't been floated earlier tbh - his skillset and abilities are quite nicely suited to the 13 man game
Certainly showed some league tendencies grubber kicking the ball against Fiji like 5 tackles had already been made. In all seriousness he's very skilled, but I feel as though we need to give him a position and allow him to consistently hone his craft there.

I would rather maximize the talents of a guy and allow him to play one position at a 8/10 or 9/10 quality level than have another passable utility back.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Coincidence
IMG_4683.jpeg

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think it might actual be - it feels like there has been a big up tick in content this pre-season with a posts highlighting the individual players and a few players posting the professional photos from training as well. Petaia was also put up for media the other day (before any NRL rumours) and is one of the biggest names in the squad, so he's always going to be featured.

There could be a bit of recency bias to all this but I do feel like the media strategy has been taken up a gear this year and I've been really pleased to see it coming into the season.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah and has anyone seen it reported anywhere else other than some random league supporter page?
There was a codesport article a month or so ago about other players the NRL might be targeting after Nawaqanitawase that I think mentions him, but I haven't got a subscription so I don't know if it was because of specific conversations or just that he'd be a likely target.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
From what I saw last year McDermott & Wright were good choices. It’ll be interesting if they go for co-captains again or just one of them.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Looking at team list… there’s 4 guys from brothers who I think could get the nod.

Fraser
Harry
James
Faessler

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty sure O’Connor decided a few years ago he didn’t want the role as he wanted to focus on his game. Personally I’d prefer Faessler & Wilson focus on their games too at this stage.

McReight seems highly regarded as a leader, but Wright seems to be a good captain already and I am not sure that a passing of the guard has any merit at the moment.

I think much the same about McDermott and he seems to me (from my view in the cheap seats) to thrive on leading the team. Part of me thinks it wouldn’t be the worst thing for him to just focus on his game too - but then he might take it as a bit of a slight.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I would have Wright as my captain. If he stays fit he should be a Wallaby if he can replicate his form whenever he is fit.

He is ignored by many fans from other teams but he is statistically and visually a great player who should be considered for the Wallabies.

He is only 26 years old, I may be a fool, or I may be calling it first, but if he is injury free for the next few years he would be a great Wallabies captain for the next World Cup, he has the skills required, seems to have the support of his team and is an inspirational leader who comes back from what ever adversity is thrown at him.

I would have McReight as my deputy