• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It's the Wallabies money that's the issue (or the lack thereof for those outside of the top up system).

For 90%+ of the players you really can't turn down a couple of hundred grand a year because you think something special might be brewing.
No doubt - the Roar article mentioned Schmidt doesn't want to start talking contracts until end of the month at the earliest, so it doesn't sound like any offers have been tabled yet. The uncertainty wouldn't be nice of course, but hopefully that means none of the players have closed the door yet.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
You'd have to think the feeling that something special could be brewing at the Reds might've come at the right time to keep some of the names mentioned from departing. Hopefully all the AU teams keep up the, by and large, improved competitiveness that we've seen so far this season. Might work in our favour in more ways than one.

Yeh I feel like this isn't so much a Reds issue - as mentioned it's a Rugby Australia money issue and also Super Rugby as a product issue.

With everything going on in Super Rugby right now, the competition isn't exactly screaming 'best rugby teams in the world'.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh I feel like this isn't so much a Reds issue - as mentioned it's a Rugby Australia money issue and also Super Rugby as a product issue.

With everything going on in Super Rugby right now, the competition isn't exactly screaming 'best rugby teams in the world'.
Yep, but - and I don't want to jinx it so I'm whispering this - early signs suggest this could be one of the closest Super seasons in not-so-recent memory, which would do wonders for fan engagement and the product as whole.

Time will tell, but (Rebels drama aside) it's oh so nice to start a season off with some positive vibes around Super.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep, but - and I don't want to jinx it so I'm whispering this - early signs suggest this could be one of the closest Super seasons in not-so-recent memory, which would do wonders for fan engagement and the product as whole.

Time will tell, but (Rebels drama aside) it's oh so nice to start a season off with some positive vibes around Super.

100%. The issue of course being one decent season doesn’t necessarily save us after sitting on our thumbs for the last 10 years.

The whole Rebels situation has rocked the Apple cart at a player level far deeper than anyone wants to admit. I’ve never heard about so much player movement and unrest (not just through the media but personal connections) so early in the season.

The longer that whole situation is up in the air and the legal stuff with the RA, the more players are going to look for security and jump off.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
No doubt - the Roar article mentioned Schmidt doesn't want to start talking contracts until end of the month at the earliest, so it doesn't sound like any offers have been tabled yet. The uncertainty wouldn't be nice of course, but hopefully that means none of the players have closed the door yet.
It's more of a question for Horne rather than Schmidt with the new structure.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Surely the possibility of the entire playing pool of the Rebels being up for grabs at the end of the season is impacting other sides negotiations too.....

Would be a travesty to lose Jock & Jordy though
Jordy at 24 would be devastating. Jock at 28 makes a lot of sense for him personally (hope he stays). At the age to seek a good deal before he creeps past the scary 30 where values start to drop.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Jordy at 24 would be devastating. Jock at 28 makes a lot of sense for him personally (hope he stays). At the age to seek a good deal before he creeps past the scary 30 where values start to drop.

It's also excellent timing (judged on tweaking conditions for a more favourable contract negotiation) to be dropping the issue on the table - when Petaia is also up in the air. Double whammy for Reds. Likely also make any representations from Reds to RA all the more pointed.

Personally after the shit-show that was anything related to the Wallabies in 2023, I'm glad generically that RA are reluctant to open the purse strings. Though I sure would have prefered that the issue was impacting first a franchise that is not the Reds.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's the Wallabies money that's the issue (or the lack thereof for those outside of the top up system).

For 90%+ of the players you really can't turn down a couple of hundred grand a year because you think something special might be brewing.
Yeah and Jock, for how great he is, hasn't nailed the start at the Reds, let alone Wallabies. I think he should be Red's Fullback and Petaia on the wing but better rugby minds then me don't see it that way.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It looks like the public are aware of the Reds this year. I was out at dinner last night at Jindalee and my 7 year old was wearing his Reds jersey, 2 people asked if we were at the game last week. I also heard another table talking about the game....then the League started on the TV.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Reds have been particularly unlucky with gun centres and injuries over the last decade.

I’d argue CFS, Petaia and now Henry will never reach their true potential at least at the Reds due to significant injuries.

Petaia obviously playing well at the moment but can’t help but feel his body wasn’t ready for professional level and he’s still not 100%.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
1000015794.png

"Did you guys catch them? First they beat the Chiefs, then they went and put 53 points on the rebels!" Gatland said. ”They're playing the greatest rugby I've ever seen, and we're supposed to play them in July? Please just let me retire and watch it from the pub with Alun, George and Sam.”

The WRU have rejected his resignation on the basis that no other coach would be dumb enough to take on the Queenslanders.
Sounds like Gatland understandably worried about facing the mighty nation of Queensland later this year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
As an aside, we bloody well better beat them, for whatever reason I can't help but run my mouth when it comes to the Welsh and I'm in no mood to eat humble pie come July.