• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
You reckon? Lynagh and HMP are going well at 10, so can’t see JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) pushing for it (plus there’s Creighton). 12 is a possibility, especially now Henry’s out, but if Paisami’s in form they’ll want to keep him on the park - and I can’t see them pushing him out to 13 and moving Flook, given Flook’s form. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) has also not played any footy in a fair while, so would need to find some form quick.

Injuries, of course, change the landscape. Good problem to have, but I’ve got JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) as a bench util at most at this point.
Lynagh and HMP going solid, but can't rule out the veteran. Definitely the 22 jersey however.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I saw on the Stan show "The night before game day" last night where JOC (James O'Connor) was been interviewed by Googs & Hoiles.
JOC (James O'Connor) said he wouldn't travelling to Perth, but should be good to go by the following weekend (V's The Brumbies).

JRugby2

Frank Nicholson (4)
You reckon? Lynagh and HMP are going well at 10, so can’t see JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) pushing for it (plus there’s Creighton). 12 is a possibility, especially now Henry’s out, but if Paisami’s in form they’ll want to keep him on the park - and I can’t see them pushing him out to 13 and moving Flook, given Flook’s form. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) has also not played any footy in a fair while, so would need to find some form quick.

Injuries, of course, change the landscape. Good problem to have, but I’ve got JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) as a bench util at most at this point.
Yeah I do - but I'm also not suggesting we up end in the team to bring him in. Competition for spots is red hot currently and his proven class only adds to it

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Thoughts on the team for this week?

1. Peni Ravai – Easts – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji
2. Matt Faessler – Brothers – Toowoomba Grammar School – USQ Saints
3. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen - Norths - Wellington College, NZ
4. Seru Uru – Wests – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji – Namoli Rugby Club, Fiji
5. Ryan Smith – Brothers – St Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe – Caboolture Snakes
6. Liam Wright (cc) – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School - Easts
7. Fraser McReight – Brothers – Brisbane Grammar School – Albany Creek Brumbies
8. Harry Wilson – Brothers – St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace – Gunnedah Red Devils
9. Tate McDermott (cc) University of Queensland – Sunshine Coast Grammar School – Flinders Rugby Club
10. Tom Lynagh – University of Queensland- Epsom College, England – Richmond Rugby Club
11. Mac Grealy – University of Queensland – Downlands College – Souths Toowoomba
12: Hunter Paisami – Wests – Mangere College, Auckland
13. Josh Flook – Brothers – St Joseph’s Nudgee College - Brothers
14. Jordan Petaia - Wests - Brisbane State High School
15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland – The Southport School – Inverell Highlanders 

Reserves:
16. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland – St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace-Easts
17. George Blake - Bond University - The Southport School - Fasi Maufanga Eels, Tonga
18. Zane Nonggorr – Bond University – The Southport School – Gold Coast Eagles
19. Cormac Daly - Norths – Ul Riada, Ireland – North Kildare/Kilcock GAA, Ireland
20. John Bryant - Souths - St Laurence’s College - Souths
21. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland – Ipswich Grammar School - Souths
22. Lawson Creighton - Brothers - Padua College -
23. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests – Saint Kentigern College, Auckland

I wonder if Nonggorr will get back in to start this season? Toomaga-Allen has been pretty good off the bench and I am looking forward to him starting. I just hope that who ever is on the bench gets 30-35 minutes each game to keep up their fitness and skills in case they are needed. It is pretty amazing how good Nonggorr is considering he would only get 5-10 minutes every couple of weeks when behind Tupou in the pecking order.

It is good for the squad to have Creighton back but I would have liked to see HMP start this week after his bench role last week.

I think Vunivalu has been ok this season but probably deserved to be dropped with the return of Petaia, I would have dropped him completely as I don't see the point of a single position back being on the bench, in a pre-season podcast Kiss indicated he likes 9's who can play wing so I assume that Thomas has trained there, Creighton can cover other positions too, I would drop Vunivalu and would rather see another more versatile player in the 23.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Thoughts on the team for this week?

I wonder if Nonggorr will get back in to start this season? Toomaga-Allen has been pretty good off the bench and I am looking forward to him starting. I just hope that who ever is on the bench gets 30-35 minutes each game to keep up their fitness and skills in case they are needed. It is pretty amazing how good Nonggorr is considering he would only get 5-10 minutes every couple of weeks when behind Tupou in the pecking order.

It is good for the squad to have Creighton back but I would have liked to see HMP start this week after his bench role last week.

I think Vunivalu has been ok this season but probably deserved to be dropped with the return of Petaia, I would have dropped him completely as I don't see the point of a single position back being on the bench, in a pre-season podcast Kiss indicated he likes 9's who can play wing so I assume that Thomas has trained there, Creighton can cover other positions too, I would drop Vunivalu and would rather see another more versatile player in the 23.
I reckon he will. Seen this across other sides with Front Rowers getting a partial rest getting to sit on the bench for a bit.

Zane suits the job of grinding for 50 mins then Toomaga-Allen is a nightmare for an opposition in the last 30. He can either continue dominance or shift momentum. Good problem to have.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Interesting that Blyth hasn’t been able to squeeze his way back into the 23, Daly keeping him out. Thought some of the tight 5 might be due for a rotation
Yeah, I would've thought there was a pretty good case for shifting those guys around a bit. Also wouldn't mind seeing Brial get a run off the bench. Nothing against Bryant but I really liked his trial form and think he could really make an impact across the last 20. Possibly could've gone 6/2 on the bench but the way concussions and injuries have gone this season that's becoming a pretty big risk

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Reds v Wales - are all tickets on sale from Tuesday 2nd April? Or has there been a presale?

I have relatives coming over here at that time of year from Wales and if I miss tickets, it’ll be my head.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
he deserves it.

Jorgensen is a nice little talent - but every time Petaia steps on the footy field he is arguably the best athlete out there.

Thought the performance he put on the wing is his wallaby position, even though I want to see him at fullback
For me, Kellaway has to be the fullback just the most reliable there and most game time

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In my book, Kellaway has been overtaken for the fullback spot by Tom Wright. Wright has been the best No 15 in the Aussie sides this year and is one of a very few players with the ability to break open the opposition defensive line. Kellaway otoh has shown some defensive weaknesses in his game and a propensity to selfishness when running with the ball. I think he has to be considered for a wing spot where he is better suited.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
he deserves it.

Jorgensen is a nice little talent - but every time Petaia steps on the footy field he is arguably the best athlete out there.

Thought the performance he put on the wing is his wallaby position, even though I want to see him at fullback
Jordy would already be getting paid Jorgo money wouldn't he? If not more?

Jorgo is "only" going to get a bit over $500k a year. Even Donaldson is on $400k

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
he deserves it.

I think his performance demonstrates that Kiss can coach wingers, Vunivalu looked better this season and Petaia seemed to be more involved in this game.