• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RC - Wallabies vs Springboks, Gold Coast Sunday 12 September 8:05 PM

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wow not only a worse rugby player but also an unpatriotic coward!
I know you’re being sarcastic but it would be interesting to know the reasons - it sounds like he was asked into the squad reasonably early, at least before the border closed anyway. Might have been contractual, or he might have still been having 2019 RWC nightmares. Unpatriotic he is not though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sensational, Quade - enjoy it to the fullest mate. Huge opportunity.

The rest of us, we really have no idea where he is at, though we should have a clearer picture on the weekend. Wonder if Quade will be a bench selection or a starter?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I really don't get the Quade selection. Put Reece there. Or Duncan. Quade won't be there for us at RWC23.

He was a turnstile in defence at his peak, let alone after 5 years out of top flight rugby against the best team in the world with the biggest men running down his channel. Odds on him giving away a YC for a high shot?

Better to persist with Lolesio or someone who is actually part of our future plans. Unless Quade has been remarkable in training and Rennie envisions a Morné Steyn role for him, seems a wasted opportunity when we're less than 2 years away from the RWC.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Quade & DP were installed into the squad by virtue of already being in Queensland, there's more than a bit of a Covid influence here. So the mantra of always selecting your best team for test matches, became select your best team that's from players who are in Queensland. I suspect that Rennie is regretting not at least keeping another up and coming 10 in the squad, whether that's Harrison or Gordon or someone else. There isn't much downside from doing that, it's all development and experience. However, I agree, Hodge did the job last year and should have been given another shot, although it sounds like Banks is being punted too, so maybe he is filling that role. And the media could be wrong, that's never happened before right?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I suspect we will see something pretty close to the 23 below. QC (Quade Cooper) is worth the price of admission alone

1. Bell
2. Fainga'a
3. AAA
4. Rodda
5. Phillip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. McDermott
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Banks

16. Kaitu'u
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Swain
20. Samu
21. White
22. Hodge

I really don't get the Quade selection. Put Reece there. Or Duncan. Quade won't be there for us at RWC23.

He was a turnstile in defence at his peak, let alone after 5 years out of top flight rugby against the best team in the world with the biggest men running down his channel. Odds on him giving away a YC for a high shot?

Better to persist with Lolesio or someone who is actually part of our future plans. Unless Quade has been remarkable in training and Rennie envisions a Morné Steyn role for him, seems a wasted opportunity when we're less than 2 years away from the RWC.

I think we have a flawed overriding obsession with future plans.

The best teams keep their best players and experienced players in until a developing player genuinely kicks them out. They don't do it artificially.

Vermulean is 35 and Steyn 37. Why have them there?!?? Aaron Smith and Whitelock are both 32 already, better send them off to pasture and play chrisitie and Vaii because in 2 years smith and whitelock might not be as good.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It's not that surprising if QC (Quade Cooper) is in and Hodge replaces Banks.

Hodge is not a Test 10, he is a better fullback and there seems to be more upside to Lolesio than Banks.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

The best teams keep their best players and experienced players in until a developing player genuinely kicks them out. They don't do it artificially.

Vermulean is 35 and Steyn 37. Why have them there?!?? Aaron Smith and Whitelock are both 32 already, better send them off to pasture and play chrisitie and Vaii because in 2 years smith and whitelock might not be as good.
I'm suggesting that he's not our best 10. I love him but the bloke's been playing in Mario Kart division 2 and hasn't tackled someone north of 80kg in 5 years (or ever?).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
MTfP.gif

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm suggesting that he's not our best 10. I love him but the bloke's been playing in Mario Kart division 2 and hasn't tackled someone north of 80kg in 5 years (or ever?).
You assume. The bloke has excellent skills. His chance for redemption. Could be a master stroke and if he goes well could be a permanent fixture in the squad moving forward.
Has to underplay his hand and feed Kerevi and Paisami………….Oh, this is gunna be good.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I assume the big difference here is they've been playing well enough at a level that's deemed them good enough for selection over the past 4 years.........

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I need to remind myself that Quade is the most exciting ballplayer Australia's had in the last 10 years, and not focus on his turnstile defence.

As always he's going to rely on our forward pack winning the collisions and getting clean ball from the breakdown. And knowing the quality of the Springboks team, I'm not convinced he's going to be getting either.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
You assume. The bloke has excellent skills. His chance for redemption. Could be a master stroke and if he goes well could be a permanent fixture in the squad moving forward.
Has to underplay his hand and feed Kerevi and Paisami………….Oh, this is gunna be good.
If he has Kerevi, Paisami & Koroibete outside him that would be very tasty.

Also Kellaway scored a boatload of tries running off Quade on their little Rebels cross over.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I assume the big difference here is they've been playing well enough at a level that's deemed them good enough for selection over the past 4 years...
The point is the future, not currently

But also, NZ doesnt lose their best players overseas at 30. They have the sabbaticals which means they can still be selected for ABs even when in Japan

Also SA, picks the best players from wherever.

So eligibility has a significant part to play also. But we seem to be happy for our top players to leave and not be eligible because they may not still cut in in 3 years time (back to the future concept). Whereas ABs seem to have no doubt about Smith and Whitelocks contribution in 3 years time so either they have a crystal ball, or see value in veterans and willing to take the 'risk'.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

I was focusing less on quade and more the future plans. I don't like the chuck the youngsters in the deep end because the older guys might not make it to the other side. Seems a solid chance they all will drown.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I would say Quades selection is for Noah and I'm hoping why Hodge isn't selected is because he's replaced Banks.

It's harsh on Noah, for such a young player he shouldn't be getting experience against the best teams in the world. Just completely unfair to his development and mental strength.

Banks deserves to be dropped and unless Kellaway gets moved to 15, there's only Jordan who plays there outside of Hodge.

Fingers crossed JOC (James O'Connor) is on the bench to come on.