• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
to clarify, i am whole-heartedly against a NAB cup style pre-season. i was just pointing out why crowds are bigger there and how the crowds could be bigger, if wanted, for rebels pre season games.

I'd rather see 4 pre-season games
have the last one in melbourne and 3 in the country - geelong, morewell, bendigo/ballarat. get some of those big aussie farmer boys into the forward packs.

agree pre-season shouldn't be about money. play them on local pitches out in the country and charge $10 a head.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Crusaders have been named and they look pretty good.

The Crusaders will head to Melbourne this week to try and make it three wins from three matches in the pre-season trials. They will face the Melbourne Rebels at AAMI Park at 7:35pm (Australian time) on Saturday.

It will be only the second time the Crusaders have faced the newest team in the Investec Super Rugby tournament, having also played them in a pre-season game in 2011. The Rebels were the only Australian team that the Crusaders did not play in the regular season last year.

Kieran Read makes his first appearance in the starting fifteen for this season, at number 8 and as captain. He will be deputised by Andy Ellis, who is also making his first start at halfback. Those changes send Luke Whitelock and Willi Heinz to the bench.

Lock Tom Donnelly also comes into the starting fifteen and prop Ben Franks will make his first start alongside brother Owen.

The tightly fought number 10 jersey returns to Tyler Bleyendaal this week, who started there against the Highlanders. Tom Taylor moves out one to play second five-eighths.

Adam Whitelockwill play in his third different jumper this season with a start at centre, after starting at second five against the Hurricanes last week and on the wing against the Highlanders.

Sean Maitland returns to the wing, with Patrick Osborne moving to the bench.

Crusaders team to play the Rebels:
1. Ben Franks
2. Quentin MacDonald
3. Owen Franks
4. Samuel Whitelock
5. Tom Donnelly
6. George Whitelock
7. Matt Todd
8. Kieran Read (capt)
9. Andy Ellis (vice capt)
10. Tyler Bleyendaal
11. Israel Dagg
12. Tom Taylor
13. Adam Whitelock
14. Sean Maitland
15. Tom Marshall

Reserves:
16. Corey Flynn
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Luke Romano
19. Ross Kennedy
20. Willie Heinz
21. James Schrader
22. Patrick Osborne
23. Mitch Scott
24. Joe Wheeler
25. Brendon O’Connor
26. Luke Whitelock

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
as long as they are fit and combine well for round 1 and onwards - i personally don't care how they do it. but i'd prefer it be lower cost and drawing fans into the game. $25 to see a trial match at aami is pointless. i would absolutely love to see a pre-season match at melbourne uni oval.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Starting line-up: 1. Rodney Blake, 2. Ged Robinson, 3. Laurie Weeks, 4. Adam Byrnes, 5. Hugh Pyle, 6. Luke Jones, 7. Tom Chamberlain, 8. Gareth Delve, 9. Nick Phipps, 10. Danny Cipriani, 11. Cooper Vuna, 12. James O'Connor, 13. Mitch Inman, 26. Lachlan Mitchell, 15. Mark Gerrard.
Interchange: 16. Luke Holmes, 17. Nic Henderson, 18. Alister Campbell, 19. Tim Davidson, 20. Richard Kingi, 21. Nic Stirzaker, 22. Heath Tessmann, 23. James Hilgendorf, 24. Eddie Aholelei, 25. Lloyd Johansson, 27. Luke Beauchamp, 28. James King, 29. Isaiah Mosese.

Kurtley Beale out with hamstring soreness (again). This sounds a bit ominous for the season. And Snorky hasn't had a trial game run at all? Adam Freier isn't in the front row mix either.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kurtley Beale out with hamstring soreness (again). This sounds a bit ominous for the season. And Snorky hasn't had a trial game run at all? Adam Freier isn't in the front row mix either.

Pardon my ignorance - who is Snorky?

Re Adam Freier - is this really suprising? Not sure of his injury status but he is another that I would see as coming up to the end of his playing career. IMO.

D

daz

rebels to play one pre-season game against the crusaders in each of 2013 and 2014 singapore under a sponsorship agreement

interesting!

Is this confirmed?

If so, well, there goes my theory that trial games should be just trial games, and that S15 should be different to the AFL.

Not only are they now looking to load up on revenue, but they are depriving the fan base (who only get 8 games a year already) of an opportunity to see the team in pre-season action and get excited about the season ahead. As long as a few expats in Singapore get to see the Rebels once a year, that's the main thing.

Don't try to get a solid footing in Melbourne first. That would clearly be silly.

I need to digest the pro's and con's a bit more, but my initial reaction is one of irritation.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i disagree.
we can't have every pre-season game every pre-season in melbourne. this is an away pre-season game. might as well increase the club exposure by going to a new market, rather than heading over to christchurch where the brand isn't going to grow.

we've had every pre-season game at home for the first two years. i'm assuming the other 2 or 3 for those years will be in the melbourne area.

was in the paper yesterday and i am assuming its confirmed.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont see the point in playing more than 1 pre season game in Melbourne. Take it to the country or overseas to grow the brand globally. That way the games become more of an event and less of a trial.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Both Red's trial games were 'away' this year. Sounds like it did alright for them. Not sure about Singapore though. Maybe Bendigo, Ballarat, come where in rural vic might be a better start. However do agree with Bowside that at least this makes it an 'event'.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rebels are privately owned and have very right to have profits as a higher priority. The Rebels ran a top notch coaching conference in Melbourne last weekend in conjunction with the Auckland game. No member union has done anything of the same quality since 1997 in Queensland.
Harold Mitchell can't carry the entire financial can on his own and there are worse places to look for an equity partner than Singapore.
Smart move Rebels.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rebels are privately owned and have very right to have profits as a higher priority. The Rebels ran a top notch coaching conference in Melbourne last weekend in conjunction with the Auckland game. No member union has done anything of the same quality since 1997 in Queensland.
Harold Mitchell can't carry the entire financial can on his own and there are worse places to look for an equity partner than Singapore.
Smart move Rebels.

Good point. Forgot they were privately owned.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I arrived to the game 25 minutes late. thoughts were as such
Gerrard looks good again. regardless of his lack of pace, his role will probably be and should be a winger/fullback as was mentioned on her previously. he set up a few good breaks, made a couple and fielded the ball well.
inman looks ok - he offloaded poorly a couple of times but clearly has a good presence in the centres.
johannson - made a couple good breaks and laid some big hits and had an absolutely woeful pass that should have set up a try. he'll be a good bench player....i think
luke jones looked solid. good rucking, good tackles and got his hands on the ball.
the lineout got progressively worse from when i arrived. it was great pre half time and then slowly turned horrid.
i want to see richard kinghi in the squad every game. everytime he touched the ball something happened. tremendous step, good passes and a clever boot. phipps should watch out.
o'connor - i missed most of his play but he looked great what i saw.
front row looked solid for my money - heath tessman's arrival coincided with the lineout going to shit - also can't forgive him his total lack of pace!
overall. the top team looks very solid....but a few injuries down and we could struggle.
oh - i really rate lachlan mitchell for his work ethic. hope to se him super subbing in a bit this year.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I want to see Stirzaker get some more game time this year, he was excellent in the 10 or so minutes he had last night. Plays quite a traditional scrumhalf role it seems, didn't look to run the ball much, just got to the breakdown quickly then whipped the ball off the deck. He looked better than Phipps to be honest, and if he's given some game time could put some pressure on him towards the end of the year. Kingi was outstanding as well, he's a genuine impact player, a matchwinner.

D

daz

While I do hate to give refs any attention, I will say that on the whole, Walsh did ok during the game.

He has had a pretty intense off-season as well by the looks of things; lots of standing in front of the mirror pulling different faces depending on the call he needs to make. Not rolling away? Shake the head, look skywards and roll the eyes. Not releasing? Shake the head, look skyward and roll the eyes. Off-side? Shake the head, look skyward and roll the eyes. Scrum penalty? Suck in the cheeks, blow out a frustration breath then shake the head, look skyward and roll the eyes.

I bet you guys couldn't guess what face he pulled when he called a forward pass.....

Talk about an enigma.

;)

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Time to start jumping on the bandwagon boys.

WALLABIES star James O'Connor is excited about his blossoming partnership with former bad boy Danny Cipriani and believes the Melbourne Rebels are on the march.
O'Connor gave Melbourne fans a tantalising taste of what he offers his new Super Rugby club by scoring a brilliant individual try and setting up another in the Rebels' 19-14 loss to the Crusaders in their final trial match at AAMI Park on Saturday.
The Rebels were disappointed not to beat the seven-time champions, as both sides delivered patchy performances and failed to take their chances.
Advertisement: Story continues below
O'Connor's stunning footwork to elude several Crusaders before touching down in the first half was a highlight. Playing at inside centre, the 21-year-old is forming a promising combination with five-eighth Cipriani.
The 24-year-old Englishman, who has played seven Tests, showed flashes of his best last year but let himself down with some off-field indiscretions that led to his one-month suspension.
In the three trial matches so far this season he's been much more consistent and his defence - previously a failing - has been strong.
''He's playing well and controlling the game really well and that's what I like from a 10,'' O'Connor said.
''He gives me a lot of time and space and lets me do what I do.''
The pair are good mates away from the field, which O'Connor said was helping their understanding on it.
''You want a tight team and the closer you are with guys off the field, the closer the bond is on the field.''
After getting the wooden spoon in its inaugural season, O'Connor seems genuinely buoyed about the prospects for the 2012 season, which starts against NSW on Friday week.
''It's looking promising,'' he said. ''I'm very excited. I just want to play more footy with the boys and with the Rebels. I'm liking where I'm at at the moment.''
O'Connor played only 50 minutes against the Crusaders and iced his quad immediately after leaving, but he said it was a minor twinge.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...ith-cipriani-says-oconnor-20120219-1th45.html

Status
Not open for further replies.