• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"WALLABIES star James O'Connor is excited about his blossoming partnership with former bad boy Danny Cipriani ...
"The pair are good mates away from the field ..."

The old saying used to be "Too many bulls in the one paddock". Hopefully it won't be "Too many rock stars in the one night club".

And I wonder what The Age's sacked sub-editors would make of this effort:

"After getting the wooden spoon in its inaugural season, O'Connor seems genuinely buoyed about the prospects for the 2012 season, which starts against NSW on Friday week."

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
The old saying used to be "Too many bulls in the one paddock". Hopefully it won't be "Too many rock stars in the one night club".
Was thinking exactly the same thing, but afraid to say it since the towelling I go here a few months ago for raising that exact issue.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Was thinking exactly the same thing, but afraid to say it since the towelling I go here a few months ago for raising that exact issue.

Don't worry, you're not the only one that hopes to God they stay the hell away from Prahran.

I have faith in JOC (James O'Connor) and Danny (who is, away from the spotlight, one of the nicest and most softly-spoken guys I've met) that it won't be an issue. Hopefully it's not misplaced.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
my understanding from an "in the know" source is that DC, while much better this year, is still mentally not in the right space and the rebels managment still have concerns. They've got him living with a more senior player at the moment as both parties agreed it wasn't good for him to keep living on his own.

so they are being cautiously optimistic that surrounding him with a level head will go someway to keeping him in line.

i'm fairly confident beale has his head on pretty damn straight so i'm not worried about him.

JOC (James O'Connor) - he made a big mistake pre world cup, but to my knowledge that's his only one so i don't get this "rock start night club" business.

comparing JOC (James O'Connor)'s off field behavoir to DC's is silly.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I want to see Stirzaker get some more game time this year, he was excellent in the 10 or so minutes he had last night. Plays quite a traditional scrumhalf role it seems, didn't look to run the ball much, just got to the breakdown quickly then whipped the ball off the deck. He looked better than Phipps to be honest, and if he's given some game time could put some pressure on him towards the end of the year. Kingi was outstanding as well, he's a genuine impact player, a matchwinner.

Agree with Stirzaker comments and double agree with Kingi. he is superb and i now fully understand bob dwyer's comments on him last year.

D

daz

They've got him living with a more senior player at the moment as both parties agreed it wasn't good for him to keep living on his own.

Am I the only one who thinks that having to constantly keep tabs on a 25 year old bloke to prevent him getting into trouble is a joke?

For the love of Eales, grow up and take some personal responsibility.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
What were Bob Dywer's comments?

that he is an absolute gun with a multitude of talents and the ability to open up defences and that he should have been looked at as a backup winger of 9 or 10 or 15 for the wallabies (not bench, but out of the 22 cover)

he showed it late last year and again saturday that he just absolutely has to be in the rebels 22 at least.

T

tranquility

I would like to see him back in the 9 jersey myself, I think he will definitely offer more than Phipps long term if given the opportunity.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Kingi is a very versatile player who can play every position from 9 to 15. Not sure about his top line speed but he has a good boot, as well as great elusiveness and strength. He also has a decent defensive game.

Must have for the Rebels bench at the very least, but could easily slot into fullback.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Kingi is a very versatile player who can play every position from 9 to 15. Not sure about his top line speed but he has a good boot, as well as great elusiveness and strength. He also has a decent defensive game.

Must have for the Rebels bench at the very least, but could easily slot into fullback.
His top speed might not be the fastest but his acceleration is amazing.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You couldn't blame him.

On a more serious note: please come home so I don't have to change my avatar.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I can see Kingi on the bench for the Wallabies, he's exactly the sort of player who should be brought on with 15-20 minutes to go. He can cover from 9-out virtually, although I haven't seen him at 13. I actually don't know if he's best suited to starting, especially from 9 - he does have a tendency to overplay his hand, tries that little bit too hard to force the miracle play. Stirzaker though, man, without wanting to overhype him or anything, he really could be a bit special.

T

tranquility

While he is a star in the making, if we were to play that extrme utility halfback option in a 5:2 split (which I don't think we are) I would have thought that at the very minute Ben Lucas would be ahead of him. Kingi has the potential to be much more damaging than Lucas however.

D

daz

I can see Kingi on the bench for the Wallabies, he's exactly the sort of player who should be brought on with 15-20 minutes to go. He can cover from 9-out virtually, although I haven't seen him at 13. I actually don't know if he's best suited to starting, especially from 9 - he does have a tendency to overplay his hand, tries that little bit too hard to force the miracle play. Stirzaker though, man, without wanting to overhype him or anything, he really could be a bit special.

You do realise the man is 3 foot nothing and weighs about 15 kg's? Wirey and lean is the phrase that leaps to mind.....take his tatts off and he loses another 2 kgs.

I thought Kingi was hungry, ambitious, willing and competitive for the time he was on last weekend. He was fun, fun, fun to watch. But to say he is a possible 13 is like saying Steve Walsh has no interest in being noticed on a rugby field. Neither is true.

But no matter. The Rebels have Mitch Inman as 13. Boy oh boy, if he isn't built like a crash and bash line breaker then no-one is. I think he might have a breakout year in 2012. Excuse the pun.

The young Rebel Ranga (Stirzaker) is a real nice kid who is enjoying the hell out of his life right now. I thought he had good poise and played a well controlled game. Don't forget, when he came on the Rebs were being over-run and young Stirzaker did not lose his cool. For the short 10 minutes he was on, I liked his game.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
In fairness, I did say virtually. You're right though, I should have qualified it. Still, anyone who can play 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 to a good level is worth having a serious look at. Obviously we'll need to have a better look at him come season proper though. tranquility, agreed mate, Lucas is definitely the more solid option of the two.

This is why a fifth team is such a good thing for Australian rugby in the long run. While talent is spread quite thin at the moment, at least we're seeing more and more young players emerge and get their shot at the top level.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't worry, you're not the only one that hopes to God they stay the hell away from Prahran.

I have faith in JOC (James O'Connor) and Danny (who is, away from the spotlight, one of the nicest and most softly-spoken guys I've met) that it won't be an issue. Hopefully it's not misplaced.

God knows why anyone would ever want to go to Prahran...

Status
Not open for further replies.