• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think we'll see Beale coming into the line a lot this year. Cips doesn't have a good long-passing game, but he's got a very good short one and the pace to make little half-breaks. All he needs to do is get just outside his man, then dish the ball off to a runner flying in off his shoulder - be that Kurtley, Bieber, Pyle, whoever. With Beale spending so much time up in the line, Gerrard will be spending a lot of time back. While he's picked on the wing, he'll be playing as a second fullback. While he's slow, he's got good positional awareness and probably the best boot in Australia. That and we don't have anyone with genuine express pace to replace him anyway, not happy we ditched Betham and kept Mitchell. First choice backline will more than likely be:

9. Phipps
10. Cips
11. Vuna
12. Bieber
13. Inman
14. Gerrard
15. Beale.

When Gerrard injures himself I expect either Kingi or Mitchell to take his spot - I'd prefer Kingi, but we'll just have to wait and see.

A

Army_Gav

Loved Gerrado's step around Stefan Terblanche last year, that setup the Vuna try.

Worse thing about trial games, is lack of footage. Inability to watch a replay on IQ and focus on a particular player. Hope they fix it, next year. More regional trials, more footage. Less issues of shitty crowds at big stadiums.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
That was great video, thoroughly got me excited to watch the rebels.
KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) looked reasonably ready, as you would expect from two of the wallabies best. Cipriani looked assured when he had accomplished runners around him giving him 2 or 3 passing options on each play. Holy shit, Lloyd Johannsson looks absolutely monstrous, surely will get a look in at 13, and makes a fine back up 12 (could be better suited there than JOC (James O'Connor) for some games if JOC (James O'Connor) plays some 10...rotation.rotation.rotation). We always knew Vuna could hit (it's a league pre-requisite), but its excellent to see him reading the attack very well and making good decisions. I especially enjoyed the footage of Pyle receiving a pass in support and completely outpacing the Blues 7 and 8 or 12 (couldnt tell) down the touchline.

On a side note, the Blues back 3 looks incredible to absurdly good. Who was the large Fijian looking bloke wearing 14 now Roks is gone. Also Liaki Moli looks large and grunty.

All up a few things to like about them at this stage, barring trial results

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
"On a side note, the Blues back 3 looks incredible to absurdly good. Who was the large Fijian looking bloke wearing 14 now Roks is gone"

He looked pretty handy tbf!! From a brief search I think its David Raikuna, North Harbour winger.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Gav, In fairness Terblanche makes Simon Shaw look young and spry. I much more enjoyed him bumping the bestest and most amazingest defensive centre the world has ever seen.

hammer, pretty sure that was David Raikuna, he's played some 7s for New Zealand. Bit of a unit. He likely won't be starting though, place will probably be taken by Rudi Wulf. As for Johannsson, he is absolutely massive but he's quite slow with it - gave away three (from memory) penalties for offside while he was on too. I think he'd get cut up playing at 13, doesn't have to cover nearly as much ground playing 12. Big fan of Pyle's support work as well, he's got the potential to go a long way.

T

tranquility

Gerrard offers alot to the Rebels backline, I think it would be unwise to drop him in order to fit an Inman or Lloyd in there. Footy Smarts is a very valuable commodity.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Rebels have announced two VCs, Gareth Delve and Hugh Pyle. Latter is very interesting, considering he is still a young player only in his second year of top flight footy.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's been an interesting journey for young Hugh. When I first saw him play for the Rats somebody told me he was washing dishes as a job. [Nothing wrong with that - I have done my share of that in my young days.] In 2009 I thought he might do OK a few years down the track after he had bulked up - he was skinny. He was injured for a lot of the season in 2010 and then I heard the Rebels had picked him up.

I thought he got a lucky break but it was the Rebels who got it. I couldn't recognise the young man from the fellow I saw last for the Rats early in the 2010 season: he was just as skilful but was playing harder and there was more meat on his bones. If he plays the same way as in 2011 he is Wallaby material in 2012. Last year I picked him for the 2012 EOYT but it could happen even earlier than that with an injury or two to others.

Getting the Rebels vice-captaincy and the wraps from Delve indicate that he has a bit of maturity about him too. It's all good.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I played against him in 2008 at Subbies Colts level. He was probably too good for that level (smashed me in a tackle off the kick-off and tore ligaments in my ankle, for which I have never forgiven him) but still to get from subbies to VC of a Super Rugby team in just three years is a pretty good achievement.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Think so, but his main improvement has been in defence and reading his man.

Somebody (I forget who, so apologies to whoever it was) summed it up perfectly on Saturday, the incredible vision he has, and used to use to try and spot an intercept opportunity, he's now using to target his man and lay the tackle.

And WHAT A HIT THAT MAN HAS. I could directly attribute three second half Blues turnovers to some poor guy getting smacked by a Vuna pearler.
He came off at 51 minutes so not sure he helped with all of them. He was pretty sore when I was talking to him as well but he played really well.
Johanson put in some good hits in the 2nd half as well, although when he missed the big hit he left a big gap in the defence.

T

tranquility

That's big Lloyd's game I am afraid, he is a game changer not an accountant (%s). He will often look for the big hit, sometimes yay sometimes nay. However he will back himself in attack with this mentality, and he runs some great lines.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
That's big Lloyd's game I am afraid, he is a game changer not an accountant (%s). He will often look for the big hit, sometimes yay sometimes nay. However he will back himself in attack with this mentality, and he runs some great lines.
Oh for sure, it just is frustrating as a fan to have sat through last years defensive problems and then for Lloyd to do that again this year is off putting. Sure he runs some great lines and he will be a good "crash ball" 12 for us when he gets game time, but when he doesn't run out and put the big hit in he makes copybook tackles and is up on his feet competing for the ball quickly.

D

DJC

The other guy I'm tipping to really show his worth this year is Eddie Ahololei. I reckon by half way through the season he will have the starting LHP role sewn up. I saw him on the development tour against Worcester and he certainly deserved the EPS spot.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
If he comes good we won't have a half bad front row - weekes, henderson, blake, ahololei, freir and robinson. I don't think our front row is anywhere as bad as people make it out to be (cue the "yoda saved your front row last year" comments)
I think where the forwards fell apart last year was the 2nd row. they were poor in the scrums and woeful in the lineouts (the only other area along with defence where we didn't improve all year)

pyle starting is a huge improvement. I just wonder who he'll be partnered with? campbell was pretty solid, had a good work rate but he sure had some poo hands.

Timmy Davo and Chamberlain will come good this year and prove worthy replacements for delve. saffy to 7 and jones to 6 for next year.

the more kinghi in the squad the better. would love to see him super subbing at wing, full back, 9 or 10. for my money, he's got to be in the squad somewhere. few backs were as effective as him once he got settled into the squad last year.

9 phipps (Kinghi)
10 cipriani (JOC (James O'Connor))
11 vuna
12 JOC (James O'Connor) (Inman)
13 Mortlock (gerrard)
14 Gerrard (Kinghi/Mitchell)
15 Beale (gerrard/Kinghi)

I expect mortlock will not last half the season and to be replaced as captain by delve. that should see gerrard step into 13 and johansson come into a bench position along. one of mitchell or kinghi replacing gerrard on the wing and the other on the bench.

that said, i'd bet gerrard will continue to be hampered by his ongoing calf/hamstring problems that saw him miss so much of last season.

going back a few comments - totally agree with the comments on the absurdity of the ARU not allowing australian born players to play rugby in australia simply because they played for england.

i think some level of quota is good, but it should be increased from 1 marquee player to at least 2 if not 3 per squad. bringing in players from other nations who have excellent top flight experience playing under different systems and structures only adds to the learning experience of young aussie players. young props can play with and learn from argentinian, italian or french props who are actually good! i'm sure weekes and co benefitted enormously from playing alongside and under sommerville.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Hope they fix it, next year. More regional trials, more footage.

Problem is those two goals contradict each other. You either take a game out where there's inadequate resources to set up a telecast, or you play it in a stadium where resources are plentiful but crowds scarce.

Same reason why only 2 or 3 of the 'regional round' NAB Cup games will be telecast.

I reckon the ARU should NAB Cup their trials. Build it up a bit to get more people through the doors.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
NAB cup is meaningless though. the afl is putting lipstick on a pig with that one. everyone knows its pointless but the afl designates some "meaning" to it.

I'd bet if you had reds v waratahs final warm up game playing a proper game, the crowds would be just as good.

all the fans want is to see a real game (see full team playing for 2 forty minute halves) to see how the team will stack up. a four quarter rugby game will never attract big numbers...because its a 4 quarter rugby game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd bet if you had reds v waratahs final warm up game playing a proper game, the crowds would be just as good.

all the fans want is to see a real game (see full team playing for 2 forty minute halves) to see how the team will stack up. a four quarter rugby game will never attract big numbers...because its a 4 quarter rugby game.

We have an 18 round fucking tournament with another 6 home tests to go with it. We don't need to make money out of every game, or have thousands of people watching.

You compromise the integrity of trial games when you try and make them appealing to the wider public. Whilst I'm sure a lot of people would love a full 80 minute QLD vs NSW trial, I can tell you what would happen- there would be a couple of bad injuries to key players, and the substitutes and wider squad members will be underdone due to a lack of game time.

I realise all the fans want is to see a real game, and... it appears there is one next week! Who would have thought? NSW vs QLD for the full 80. Then there is another one during the season.

My point is there is no need to overdo it. Too many games and the public switch off.

D

daz

We have an 18 round fucking tournament with another 6 home tests to go with it. We don't need to make money out of every game, or have thousands of people watching.

You compromise the integrity of trial games when you try and make them appealing to the wider public. Whilst I'm sure a lot of people would love a full 80 minute QLD vs NSW trial, I can tell you what would happen- there would be a couple of bad injuries to key players, and the substitutes and wider squad members will be underdone due to a lack of game time.

I realise all the fans want is to see a real game, and... it appears there is one next week! Who would have thought? NSW vs QLD for the full 80. Then there is another one during the season.

My point is there is no need to overdo it. Too many games and the public switch off.

+1. Standing ovation for you, baa-baa.

The AFL, being the greedy little piggies they are (or fucking smart, depending on your point of view) have simply found a way to get maximum revenue out of a series of trial games. Slap a major sponsor on it, get the networks to broadcast it and call it a tournament. It is not a tournament, it is a series of trial games to have a hit out prior to the season proper.

Whatever the AFL does is up to them. For the S15, let trial games BE trial games. The boards here have been full of banter and reaction to some of these trial games as if they fucking mean something. They don't, unless you are a coach at one of the S15 clubs trying to get a handle on your combinations and capability levels for the year.

I enjoy watching trial games so I can get an idea of who looks the goods, or where some key positions are being filled, or how the new sponsors logo looks on the team jersey. My passion and vitriol I save for round 1.

I appreciate other points of view may differ from mine, but that's ok; I sleep well at night knowing those deluded souls are dead wrong.

/end rant.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.